I'm bored with hi-fi.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ianrjones

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
Bored with Hi-Fi. I used to be a perfectionist, (when you are a prepper+sprayer, thats all well and good). But under therapy, I came to learn that it's just another psychotic disorder. Buying new hi-fi kit had to be at least noticable superior. Or as you can imagine, just more expensive. I have some other hobbies. Like a superior car. Every time I buy some new hi-fi kit, I later wished I had waited to accumilate more funds, and bought something better. The is no end to this, please do not think I am calling you crazy, but we are all subjected to our minds desire. Nothing is good enough, It's the anti-Midas effect, everything we touch, eventually turns to ****.

Today hooked up my old RS6s. Certainly sounds alien after a couple of years usage of the Dalis. Not sure what to make of them: They definitely sounding good, if a little dated, dare I say. It's the treble that's most notable: Quite metallicy and more prominent that I remember. Certainly not as refined as the Dalis, not as much insight and layered, but I suppose you can't expect it given the price difference.
I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment of Monitor Audio in general, particularly previous ranges like your RS6s. Monitor Audio have always been well built and finished for the money, and have had a fairly impressive sound on initial auditions, but usually lack the characteristics for frequent or long term listening. They're not bad speakers, it's just that there's better.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
One of the happiest days of my life was when I stopped focusing on the sound and started listening to the music again.
Tell me about it........
I analyse everything I hear now since putting a subwoofer into the mix.
I've only ever liked them with films a d classical to begin with despite knowing how to set them up.
(It's not a debate I just don't like them 😲😊)
If blending them in seamless so one cant hear them y bother.
Other than that the speakers I have sound much sweeter by themselves.

My bedroom comes listening room is an odd shape and sonically terrible with echos etc that can only be nullified by plenty of toe in on the speakers to negate the echo from the t-shaped walls at one end.

Now its ok im still deeply researching room acoustics and looking at acoustic foams and rockwool etc etc.

I can't remember since a sub woofers over extension of bass pointing out an already existing problem "again" that I just put a disc in and enjoyed the music.

I know I should just let it gather more dust as I did prior but I'm not the type.
Once I find a problem (room acoustics) I have to solve it despite knowing switching the thing off would suffice.

Simply put I know it's there irrespective and I've already worn holes in the carpet repositioning things with my terrible "diagnosed OCD" further confounding things.

I'm not hearing my music at the moment just listening to it and analysing everything.

I dare'nt even mention the time I've spent on the room correction software running around the room with a microphone.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Bored with Hi-Fi. I used to be a perfectionist, (when you are a prepper+sprayer, thats all well and good). But under therapy, I came to learn that it's just another psychotic disorder. Buying new hi-fi kit had to be at least noticable superior. Or as you can imagine, just more expensive. I have some other hobbies. Like a superior car. Every time I buy some new hi-fi kit, I later wished I had waited to accumilate more funds, and bought something better. The is no end to this, please do not think I am calling you crazy, but we are all subjected to our minds desire. Nothing is good enough, It's the anti-Midas effect, everything we touch, eventually turns to ****.
Maybe you have a bipolar disorder 'the need to get something better' 'the grass is greener over there and I must have it' some buy 'shirts all new in cupboard but never worn' etc.. etc... I know I have it to a degree, this need to get this system because it's right, whether when I get it will I Listen to it is secondary to owning it...!

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Still love the sound of my bundles, have used it sparingly over the last couple of weeks. Hope I'm not falling out of love with the kit. Perhaps I've had the amp too long, I don't really know - I'm scratching for an answer.
That's the reason I don't want to become an 'audiophile'. Is drooling over expensive kit you've seen reviewed really a hobby? More of an addiction, probably. Just like heroin there's no going back, and it never gets any better than your first hit, though you will always be chasing it.
I consider myself lucky, my distinctly budget set up feels me with joy everytime I switch it on and sit down to listen. Living hours from a dealer I haven't ever heard anything better than my 'system', and don't want to until I'm in the market for new speakers, perhaps.
What you are saying is that you're bored with your toys, and that's quite pathetic. I pursue my hobbies for pleasure, I get enjoyment from my hifi gear by listening to music, not from boasting about what I own and then wanting more.

Reactions: Leon74

ianrjones

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
Heroin use is limited to the users needs. While Hi-Fi is exponentialy explosive. Drug use is limited how much you can spend, until you pass out. While Hi-Fi is unlimited, you can spend several thousand pounds in a day. The belief that you will always get that first kick again. Not knowing if the next purchase, will be fantastic or just normal. Sorry to bring you all down, (again), we are all searching for pleasure, certainly me. And I am not an addictive personality. But I wished I had a larger room. My limitation.

Reactions: Leon74
Heroin use is limited to the users needs. While Hi-Fi is exponentialy explosive. Drug use is limited how much you can spend, until you pass out. While Hi-Fi is unlimited, you can spend several thousand pounds in a day. The belief that you will always get that first kick again. Not knowing if the next purchase, will be fantastic or just normal. Sorry to bring you all down, (again), we are all searching for pleasure, certainly me. And I am not an addictive personality. But I wished I had a larger room. My limitation.
If it’s the novelty that one finds enjoyable, then having a couple of bits that you can swap around may help a bit.

I picked up that habit during lockdown, and now have about two-and-a-half systems worth of kit! But currently only one system up and running.

podknocker

To be fair HiFi is boring.
We all have different interests and to say HIFI is boring is a bit of a generalisation and an empty statement to say the least. If anyone does find HIFI boring, it's probably not a good idea for them to join and start posting stuff on a HIFI forum.

I've always loved music, so it makes sense I have a deep interest in HIFI and the modern technology it's based on. I think you can only enjoy music if it's delivered at decent quality.

I have a great sounding system and probably won't upgrade, even if have the funds to actually buy the stuff I recently wanted. I know I'd need to spend much more than my current system cost, to achieve an appreciably better sound.

Football is incredibly boring to me and it amazes me how some people base their entire lives around it and it becomes an obsession in many cases, leading to aggression and a level of rivalry which often leads to fights and many social issues. Kicking a ball round a field for 90 minutes seems the most boring thing I can imagine, with rugby probably coming a close 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano and DougK1

Friesiansam

Football is incredibly boring to me and it amazes me how some people base their entire lives around it and it becomes an obsession in many cases, leading to aggression and a level of rivalry which often leads to fights and many social issues. Kicking a ball round a field for 90 minutes seems the most boring thing I can imagine, with rugby probably coming a close 2nd.
(y)(y)(y)

Reactions: Roog

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Tell me about it........
I analyse everything I hear now since putting a subwoofer into the mix.
I've only ever liked them with films a d classical to begin with despite knowing how to set them up.
(It's not a debate I just don't like them 😲😊)
If blending them in seamless so one cant hear them y bother.
Other than that the speakers I have sound much sweeter by themselves.

My bedroom comes listening room is an odd shape and sonically terrible with echos etc that can only be nullified by plenty of toe in on the speakers to negate the echo from the t-shaped walls at one end.

Now its ok im still deeply researching room acoustics and looking at acoustic foams and rockwool etc etc.

I can't remember since a sub woofers over extension of bass pointing out an already existing problem "again" that I just put a disc in and enjoyed the music.

I know I should just let it gather more dust as I did prior but I'm not the type.
Once I find a problem (room acoustics) I have to solve it despite knowing switching the thing off would suffice.

Simply put I know it's there irrespective and I've already worn holes in the carpet repositioning things with my terrible "diagnosed OCD" further confounding things.

I'm not hearing my music at the moment just listening to it and analysing everything.

I dare'nt even mention the time I've spent on the room correction software running around the room with a microphone.
best day I had was when I gave up on room correction. I came to the conclusion if it (AVR at the time) can't get distances right how can I trust its working out standing waves and all sorts correctly.

SO I moved away from all that, bought "dumb" devices and placed as best I could (pretty dam good) sat back and enjoyed.

the only messing I do now is dusting.

Subwoofers are differently kettle of fish you really have to know what you're doing to get it to blend and if the amp has no high pass and delays then you're at the mercy of the room, I have only ever managed it once doing it manually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom

Friesiansam

best day I had was when I gave up on room correction. I came to the conclusion if it (AVR at the time) can't get distances right how can I trust its working out standing waves and all sorts correctly.

SO I moved away from all that, bought "dumb" devices and placed as best I could (pretty dam good) sat back and enjoyed.

the only messing I do now is dusting.

Subwoofers are differently kettle of fish you really have to know what you're doing to get it to blend and if the amp has no high pass and delays then you're at the mercy of the room, I have only ever managed it once doing it manually.
Sometimes I think I would like a big room dedicated to HiFi and a big pair of floor standers. On the other hand, I read so much here about problems associated with speaker and room interaction, that it makes me happy that all I need in a room, is a comfortable chair to sit on while I listen with headphones…

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Sometimes I think I would like a big room dedicated to HiFi and a big pair of floor standers. On the other hand, I read so much here about problems associated with speaker and room interaction, that it makes me happy that all I need in a room, is a comfortable chair to sit on while I listen with headphones…
Ive never found a pair of head phones that I find comfortable and or doesnt hurt my ear. Had a lot of ear troubles when younger and ever since any pressure on the ear causes discomfort and eventual pain.

But if I could I would have gone that way along time ago.

Choose a speaker sensibly and there's far less need to worry about it.

Reactions: DougK1

record_spot

Not quite sure that subwoofers have to be the preserve of those in the know. I use a Wharfedale SW150, which you can tweak slightly. It's entry level, but a pretty impressive item. I've found it's blended in very well - to the point that it pretty much disappears into the background. Works a treat.

@plastic penguin

Maybe try taking a break from the music you listen to regularly? Pick some niche, random radio stations playing stuff you've never heard of and give them a listen. I rewatch films fairly regularly, and sometimes I just need to watch something fresh, something different, even if it's not what I would normally watch.

Just a thought.
Yeah, it works to a point. Because they play music alien to me I get bored after a while.

Given you run your own audio outlet, do you not get fed up with music? Another reason I couldn't work in a hi-fi shop.

It's like when I worked in a professional kitchen I got bored with cooking.

Dom

Yeah, it works to a point. Because they play music alien to me I get bored after a while.

Given you run your own audio outlet, do you not get fed up with music? Another reason I couldn't work in a hi-fi shop.

It's like when I worked in a professional kitchen I got bored with cooking.
I'm in a psychatric ward for the time being, and so not listening to my Hi Fi. I do listen to my buds but only for a few minutes at a time and then put them down.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts