iFi Zen Dac V2 ( Upgraded Model )

camcroft

Today I received the Zen Dac after buying other products from iFi and being very impressed with them I decided to give their Zen Dac a try. I have been using the Schiit Magni head amp for a while now my first impression of the Zen unit is that it a very good sounding unit and definitely a step up from the Schiit model and more attractive with it too. The unit comes with a Power Match button that can help your headphones perform better and theres also a Truebass button to up the bass but I found that the bass was just fine with this feature in the off position and on a PC there is no need for a power cable as it can be operated using the Usb supplied.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and nopiano

camcroft

I think the power boost and TrueBass are gimmicks, but might be handy in a few cases. Otherwise it seems like a fantastic design at an incredibly low price. British designed too!
The power boost definitely changes the sound on my DT770's it does up the volume I really like these headphones they are my only wired ones beside other in ears and wireless ones.

Gray

Today I received the Zen Dac after buying other products from iFi and being very impressed with them I decided to give their Zen Dac a try. I have been using the Schiit Magni head amp for a while now my first impression of the Zen unit is that it a very good sounding unit and definitely a step up from the Schiit model and more attractive with it too. Another thing that I can do with it is to use it with my Zen Blue in my main system so that when I stream music to Zen Blue then through the Zen Dac into my amp. The unit comes with a Power Match button that can help your headphones perform better and theres also a Truebass button to up the bass but I found that the bass was just fine with this feature in the off position and on a PC there is no need for a power cable as it can be operated using the Usb supplied. Before it takes its pride of place on the desktop I will be trying it for its other function on my main system and if it works it will be an improvement for not too much money.
ifi seem to make some great value products.
I presume yours was an earlier Magni. (I wonder what the latest two versions of that are like).
I've just been trialling the Topping A50S - talk about clean sounding.
I think some people might be surprised how good these little headphone amps are.

camcroft

Desktop listening has never sounded so good so glad that I now have the Zen Dac and soon will be saying goodbye to the Schiit Magni 2 which has served me well and is certainly not a bad head unit.

camcroft

Two weeks on and I am still loving the sound of the Zen Dac V2 its such a good little unit I have tried it with a number of IEM namely the Beyerdynamic Byrons and now I am using some RHA MA 750's and they sound fantastic the Power match function definitely does make a difference so much so that it is not needed with some ear / headphones. So its out with the Schiit and in with the Zen Dac V2. Enjoy the good weather while it lasts.

Reactions: Gray
Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi there. There are some reviews on Amazon describing the very same issue with unbalanced channels. Does any owner here face this issue as well? I am tempting to buy one, but do not want to play Russian roulette. Thanks.

Gray

Hi there. There are some reviews on Amazon describing the very same issue with unbalanced channels. Does any owner here face this issue as well? I am tempting to buy one, but do not want to play Russian roulette. Thanks.
I saw someone on another forum complaining about channel imbalance on a new Zen DAC.
In fairness, an iFi rep replied offering help / advice.
It's not uncommon for analogue volume controls to have some audible channel imbalance - especially as you come away from zero - where one channel might come on slightly before the other.
By the time you reach normal listening level there should (hopefully) be no noticeable issue.
Maybe best to buy from somewhere with a good return policy to avoid Russian roulette just in case your sample is unacceptable to you.

Reactions: Tinman1952

doifeellucky

As an owner of the V2 I can confirm that at the very lowest, barely audible volume, I only hear the right channel, but this in no way impacts on the performance.

I would however say that in general terms I didn’t notice any real improvement in sound quality when using easy to drive headphones, compared to directly out of my old iPhone headphone socket

For anyone who’s been on the fence about getting one, like I was, I honestly wouldn’t bother if you’re happy with the sound you get already.

Tinman1952

I saw someone on another forum complaining about channel imbalance on a new Zen DAC.
In fairness, an iFi rep replied offering help / advice.
It's not uncommon for analogue volume controls to have some audible channel imbalance - especially as you come away from zero - where one channel might come on slightly before the other.
By the time you reach normal listening level there should (hopefully) be no noticeable issue.
Maybe best to buy from somewhere with a good return policy to avoid Russian roulette just in case your sample is unacceptable to you.
Exactly so. I’ve had this imbalance at very low levels with an £1,800 amp from a VERY well known brand….. 🤔 ALPS blue velvet too!

Gray

...further to the previous 2 posts, I can report that it's a slight issue on my Topping A50S.
I'd go as far to say that when using the most sensitive ear/headphones, those with perfect hearing would notice some (if only very slight) issue on the majority of products.
In my case I have to reverse the headphones to hear the low level of the channel that's come on first - confirming, what I already knew, that my ears have at least as much imbalance as the volume pot :( .

Reactions: doifeellucky

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts