If I just bought an amp and speakers.....streaming?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Forgive the dumb question but if I buy an amp and speakers to place in a second room then what else would I need to stream music to it? My main music setup is in a different room with a NAS hard wired into a network switch -> router and my Naim stuff on the end of it. That all works well but won't be moving so am not sure I can take advantage of that?

Anyone help in layman's terms? Thank you.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If you use DLNA or Airplay for streaming you can get a Monitor Audio amplifier for £129 or £149 at Richer Sounds. This is a compact well reviewed amplifier with integral wireless streaming capability. It also features analogue line-in and optical digital input if you need to hook up a source e.g. a Bluetooth receiver for streaming from a computer or phone.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If you were thinking of using your existing streamer and piping the output through to a second amp - it could be done but it would be awkward to use. Connecting a second set of speakers to your existing amp would be better (with a switch if necessary) but still not ideal.

Assuming you're looking for a second system, it depends on your budget and appetite for wiring.

In terms of kit, the Monitor Audio A100 recommended above is a good one and I think difficult to beat on price. From there you could look at Marantz MCR611 or Cambridge Audio Minx, through the Unitiqutes and onwards to a full blown second system so an idea of what you want to spend will help narrow it down.

The other thing to consider is how to get the network connection to your second room. Wifi is super easy but not always reliable and you'd need to check your chosen kit has wifi capability, homeplugs are more reliable in my experience but still not the best, a proper LAN cable is best but needs a bit of work to install.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
If you're using an iDevice, then an airport express is the way forward. Add to wifi network, and 3.5mm out to rca into the amp, and you're away. Chuffed to bits with mine!

Interesting - so if I set it up that way would it find the files on my NAS and enable them to be played through it? I assume I'd need to use the MA app as a control point?

Thanks for the help.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Chromecast Audio - 30 quid.

3.5mm to RCA cable - 3 quid.

Plug 3.5mm end into Chromecast Audio and RCA end into amplifier input. You can cast audio from your NAS/PC internet to Chromecast via wifi. You can cast from an app like BubbleUPnP. Select the music file, click 'cast' and select where you want to cast the music to.

Setting up Chromecast is simple, takes a minute or so. You navigate to a Google Chromecast setup page, follow the instructions, enter your wifi password and that's it, it's connected. You can have multiple Chromecasts around your home, you give then unique names so you know which is which and you can cast music to any of them.

You can plug headphones into the Chromecast 3.5mm socket too but not at the same time as it's plugged into an amp.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Given that you haven't bought your amp yet, I wouldn't recommend Chromecast. It's great where someone already has an amp and they want to add streaming functionality as cheaply as possible (bear in mind that the essential DAC function is being carried out by something that costs 30 quid), but in your case you haven't yet bought the amp. So the MA A100 is a much better bet, in my opinion, because it has streaming integrated so no need for Chromecast or RCA to extra cables.

TRENDING THREADS