If a 40 and 46 have the sam amount of pixals does this undermine the quality?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
At first the decision was between the 40hx853 and the 42GT50 and the GT was successful. After having the TV a week I had to return it as the set was buzzing. I had noticed that others made comments about this on forums and I resigned the problem to a faulty set. I have since been told that plasma’s do buzz and I found this very noticeable given that the house is very quite. The GT50 was located between the side of the chimney breast and the bay window so the sound probably projects forward more because it can not disburse sideways. We sit about 2.6 metres from the TV with a wall directly behind us. Any programme sound or general back ground noise like the oven or washing machine or any light noise would mask the buzz, but in the evening when everything is quite I found myself anticipating the buzz. I watch a lot of programmes like House and doc’s where there is time with no TV audio with whites in the picture.

So the decision was to go 40hx853 or go up to the 46 and I really wish that thought wasn’t in my head. At 2.6 metres am I too close for SD? I use HD and Blu ray too. My concerns are, everyone states that plasmas have the better colour and I do not want to buy a big LCD set and see defects exaggerated on the larger screen. Am I being paranoid? but if both sets have the same amunt of pixals does this not undermine the larger screen? Is this controlled by the viewing distance?

Thoughts are 40HX or as I an now considering a 46 the sony has the award but what others are recommended just for image quality forgeting the stand, apps, widgets and athestics.

What Hifi Team, on TV reviews why is it no longer possible to filter using the screen size option?

src1 said:
So the decision was to go 40hx853 or go up to the 46 and I really wish that thought wasn’t in my head. At 2.6 metres am I too close for SD? I use HD and Blu ray too. My concerns are, everyone states that plasmas have the better colour and I do not want to buy a big LCD set and see defects exaggerated on the larger screen. Am I being paranoid? but if both sets have the same amunt of pixals does this not undermine the larger screen? Is this controlled by the viewing distance?

I'm sat 3m away from my 50-inch Kuro, & SD is perfect. 46 inches should be fine. You'll quickly get adjusted to the initial feeling of "largeness" & slightly more noticeable pixels as compared to smaller screens.

Demo both sets (40 & 46 inches) and the plasma in the shop at the distance viewing a DVD & see what you prefer.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Then both of you have either been very lucky or have enough soft furnishings to absorb the sound as every plasma I have owned has buzzed to some degree and my 2nd one was so bad it had to be returned, to some degree all plasmas buzz if you are near enough to the tv but some definately suffer less than others. I was told that it's the power supply of the tv that causes it in Panasonics but my third and final GT30 was fine, yes there was a very slight buzz but certainly nothing distracting and i was really happy with it until it sadly developed a fault :cry: I was gutted.

src1 i think you may be right in that the position of the tv may be artificially boosting the buzzing noise as it shouldn't be that noticeable especially as you sit over 2 metres away and at your distance from the screen I would say 46inch is a minimum screen size, it will look large to begin with but you will soon get used to it.

I'm not going to get into the whole plasma versus LED debate yet again here but what I will say is that having come from a plasma tv I've found my 46HX853 the closest any LED tv has ever got to a plasma image once calibrated correctly, I'm as fussy as they come with tvs and i remain very impressed 2 months on. I would say that when it comes to the HX853 you are being paranoid with regard to colour reproduction and you won't see any defects but there is one way to be sure, go and audition one for yourself. It's never a good idea to buy a tv without first seeing it for yourself anyway.

The same amount of pixels does most certainly does not undermine the larger screen as you are not looking at the difference correctly, you need the correct screen size for your viewing position to see all the detail on offer...if you have a tv that is too small then you simply won't see all that detail as it will get lost due to how far away from the screen you are.

In your situation i would suggest either the 46HX853 or Panasonic 50GT50 if you can stretch to it.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
Then both of you have either been very lucky or have enough soft furnishings to absorb the sound as every plasma I have owned has buzzed to some degree

Hi Oldboy,

I'm not here to disagree but I've just put my ear right against the TV on mute and I can barely hear the whirring of the fan at the back.

It has never buzzed once. Do you think it's faulty? lol

D

Deleted member 2457

laserman16 said:
Pretty sure "Gel" sent a GT50 back because of buzzing.

Yeah I sent two back because of buzzing, this one is perfect.
smiley-smile.gif
The second one I had as soon as you powered on it started to buzz! The first one the buzzing noise would come and go quite annoyingly. Lucky I bought from John Lewis and didn't have a problem with returning it. I agree that all plasma do buzz to an extent, but some are crazy, and some they are that quiet you don't notice.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
rearding the buzzing its not just limited to GT50!

A few people on here have had problems with their Rega Brio Rs buzzing! Mine is silent!

Oldboy,

its well documented on here your problems/frustrations with the GT50 - I have taken a gamble in all honesty with the GT50 - time will tell!

It was a hard decision with the GT50 v HX853, but the PQ/black of plasma won it for me - the HX853 is my 2nd choice though!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Sizzers said:
Oldboy said:
Then both of you have either been very lucky or have enough soft furnishings to absorb the sound as every plasma I have owned has buzzed to some degree

Hi Oldboy,

I'm not here to disagree but I've just put my ear right against the TV on mute and I can barely hear the whirring of the fan at the back.

It has never buzzed once. Do you think it's faulty? lol

Don't give up the day job to become a comedian anytime soon will you... :grin:

I did state later on that my 3rd one was fine, a very slight buzzing but nothing distracting. And yes i do think yours is faulty...better get it looked at as it's not buzzing, that must make it faulty eh. Do you want Panasonics number? ;)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
rearding the buzzing its not just limited to GT50!

A few people on here have had problems with their Rega Brio Rs buzzing! Mine is silent!

Oldboy,

its well documented on here your problems/frustrations with the GT50 - I have taken a gamble in all honesty with the GT50 - time will tell!

It was a hard decision with the GT50 v HX853, but the PQ/black of plasma won it for me - the HX853 is my 2nd choice though!

Sorry but that's simply not true...I had issues with a GT30, I have never owned a GT50 or commented on the performance of one! Not guilty!!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
yeah sorry my mistake thought it was a GT50...phew I can relax a bit now!

I preferred the PQ of the GT50 over the HX853...all personal taste though!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
yeah sorry my mistake thought it was a GT50...phew I can relax a bit now!

I preferred the PQ of the GT50 over the HX853...all personal taste though!

No worries, I'm not aware of any problems with the GT50 so you are in safe hands...relax and enjoy your lovely tv :)

A

Anonymous

have been to a few shops today and found all the plasmas to have a buzz which I found more noticeable when the image was white. Please don't take this as criticism of others relpies to this thread. So i have made a decision on my experiences and ordered the 46HX853 which is due Tuesday, until then we will be enjoying the last few evenings with our 32KDLW5500. Now it's time to search for a wall mount. Thanks for the relies and guidance.

D

Deleted member 2457

src1 said:
have been to a few shops today and found all the plasmas to have a buzz which I found more noticeable when the image was white. Please don't take this as criticism of others relpies to this thread. So i have made a decision on my experiences and ordered the 46HX853 which is due Tuesday, until then we will be enjoying the last few evenings with our 32KDLW5500. Now it's time to search for a wall mount. Thanks for the relies and guidance.

Yeah it does buzz more on whites!
smiley-smile.gif
The other two I had constantly buzzed too though, but the one I have at present it is barely noticeable and the picture is amazing!

D

Deleted member 2457

hammill said:
I am not questioning anyone elses personal experience, but I just stuck my ear against my Kuro. It does not buzz.

My Pioneer lx5090 was just a constant low buzzing noise, so I just turned up the volume and didn't notice it. My Dad's Pioneer 427xd can buzz quite loud at times but you just turn the volume up again. It was not distracting, and you soon got used to it.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Agreed...whites do tend to cause more buzzing than normal and I simply done what gel done and turned the volume up a little and soon got used to it, however, when my 46HX853 was delivered I really noticed how quiet it was in operation so it's strange how quickly you become used to some background noise. The buzzing I had on my GT30 was never distracting and apart from the one set I received which had really extreme buzzing that refused to be drowned out I never thought it was a problem.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
src1 said:

That's simply the best way src1...there is simply no better way to make your mind up than looking at tvs for yourself. Hopefully you will be happy with the 46HX853 when you receive it and I look forward to hearing if you are happy with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts