I want to set-up a wireless system almost from scratch.

Topbrick

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
I would like to start almost from scratch and set up a wireless music system in my house. The amount of equipment and options is quite mind-boggling so any advice would be much appreciated.

At present we have a far from integrated system streaming music from a computer to a ‘Pure’ radio in the lounge and three Roberts radios in the bedrooms and kitchen. We have a Samsung UHD TV; Orbitsound M9 soundbar and subwoofer; Virgin Superhub (Netgear) Router; and a Virgin TiVo box. The internet radio transmissions often drop-out to ‘buffer’. We have between 450 and 500 CDs.

We would like to have wireless speakers in two bedrooms, the bathroom and the kitchen.

At present my options revolve around having a NAS storing our CD music; a Cambridge CXN player which would be connected to the router via an Ethernet port and to the Orbitsound via TOSLINK; plus four wireless speakers for the other rooms.

Other options I am considering are a Cambridge CXU at the heart of the system (would I still need a separate streaming player?) to fully integrate the TV;

The ONKYO CN7050 CD Player and streamer being at the heart of the system;

Or building a system entirely from SONOS equipment?

I am uncertain about:

what NAS to buy (I would prefer it to come with drives installed);

What software to upload music to the NAS;

Have I missed something and are there other options I have completely missed. Advice would be much appreciated.

I love Sonos for its simplicity and reliable performance. If you're not much technically oriented, I would highly recommend Western Digital NAS like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015E60GTE/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1470001520&sr=8-17&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=western+digital+nas+drive

Or this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FOKN7D8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470001610&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=WD+nas&dpPl=1&dpID=31uMMlIFo4L&ref=plSrch

They're quite user friendly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts