Question I want to build a 5.1.2 home theatre with Dolby Atmos and DTS x

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Well I have set up my 5.0 system currently with my old avr. I am waiting for x1600h and tsw212 subwoofer till now. Unfortunately I have lost the microphone needed for auto calibration. I set up the speakers manually currently.
I am feeling that I cannot notice the rear surround speakers working loud enough. I found out that I can add db gains for each speaker individually. Now my speakers are 87 db sensitive and recommended power is 60 watts.
Now my doubt is will it be safe to add some db gain for the rear speakers? What should be the safe value for both avr and speakers as well?

Thanks,
Niladri.

What are you listening to? The source must be 5.1 for the rear speakers to work. If the source is stereo or 3.1, the rear speakers won't be employed at all. Ask your dealer if they have a spare mic to lend.

Can you hear it during calibration?

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Well I received my units today, both sub and avr. I need suggestion:
Whether I need stabilizer for avr
Whether I need stabilizer for tv
My previous avr restarted today suddenly for a second and turned back on. Please let me try to understand what can be the possible issue? Is this overheating? Or it is due to voltage fluctuations?
Can it harm the avr? If I go for a stabilizer, what brand to choose?

Thanks,
Niladri.

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Well now I am into more issues.
My avr has hdmi out as earc. My tv has input as hdmi arc. But it should have been the reverse one. I want my video streams' audio to be played back using my avr. But I am not able to do that. Any suggestion regarding set up?

Thanks,
Niladri.

Well I received my units today, both sub and avr. I need suggestion:
Whether I need stabilizer for avr
Whether I need stabilizer for tv
My previous avr restarted today suddenly for a second and turned back on. Please let me try to understand what can be the possible issue? Is this overheating? Or it is due to voltage fluctuations?
Can it harm the avr? If I go for a stabilizer, what brand to choose?

Thanks,
Niladri.
In India, you will need a voltage stabilizer to protect your equipment. This is predominantly a UK based forum and fortunately, we don't suffer with voltage fluctuations. So voltage stabilizers aren't popular here. Just buy a good and reliable one.

Well now I am into more issues.
My avr has hdmi out as earc. My tv has input as hdmi arc. But it should have been the reverse one. I want my video streams' audio to be played back using my avr. But I am not able to do that. Any suggestion regarding set up?

Thanks,
Niladri.
Why aren't you able to do that? Connect arc HDMI of the TV to one of the Denon's HDMI inputs. Make sure you select the correct output in sound settings of your TV and make sure you're selecting the correct HDMI channel on your AV receiver.

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for replying. Well I got things sorted out.

1. I had the hdmi arc option on in my avr but hdmi control was turned off. Hence, I was not getting any audio. The dealer helped me with it.

2. I am sorry to say that the calibration mic is a garbage. It was not able to detect a single speaker from my viewing distance although the sound was coming loud enough from each speaker. I literally had to hold the mic within 5 cms of each speaker to get it detected. As a result, all the channels got set to -12db and I was not able to get any proper sound even at 70 plus volume, forget loud. Then I set up the speakers manually with measured distance from each one and set each speaker channel to 0 db except for center one which I increased to +4db. Now I am getting proper sound.

I have some questions though.

1. What settings should I set to subwoofer and how much volume, crossover, freq to set? Also, any suggestion for ideal placement of the subwoofer? I got tsw 212se from Taga Harmony.

2. I want to upgrade my centre and left right speakers. Amongst the below list, which should I opt for?

A. Q acoustics 3090ci
B. Polk audio cs10
C. Polk audio csi4
D. Polk audio cs35
E. Pioneer sp c22
F. Yamaha na c444
G. Fyne audio f300c
H. Elac debut 2.0 c5.2

If you have any other models.in same price range please suggest, I will check availability.

For surround speakers, I am thinking of Polk cs10 or cs15. Any other brand in same price range?

Thanks,
Niladri.

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Ok so I am getting S10 pair along with s30 tomorrow. S15s are also ordered. I want to use s15 pair and s30 as left right and front speakers. S10 are for the surround. Will I be able to wall mount s15? Is wall mount bracket included?

Thanks,

Niladri.

1) You can experiment with crossovers. Try 80-100Hz and take it from there. Subwoofer placement is a big topic in itself. Check some online guides regarding crawl test.

2) I'm not familiar with Polk Audio as they don't sell much in the UK. I have heard good things about them. Q acoustics speakers are good.

3) You can get universal brackets for wall mounting.

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Ok thanks to all of you I have bought the following

1. Polk s30 centre
2. Polk S10 as front l r
3. Taga 212 sw subwoofer
4. Polk s15 pair just bought, yet to install.

The sound is very good and I have been told that they will sound even better after 120 hours usage. I am enjoying Netflix and Prime content mostly.

But I am facing 2 issues currently.

1. Audessey set up calibration not working. I got a second mic from dealer, yet to test it.
2. My speakers stop randomly after 10-15 mins of playback. No sound at all. I turn off avr and turn on. Speakers are fine for 10-15 mins and again no sound. Even I turn off tv and turn on, same thing happens. What might be the issue here!!!!
Also my dealer suggested to mask the hdmi ports I am not using to prevent humidity damage. Is it good to do? Also should I mask all ports nit in use?

Thanks,

Niladri

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Well I changed my existing earc cable with a Belkin hdmi 2.0 cable. Am looking for some good 2.1 cable but prices are sky high. After the cable change, I watched movies for 2 hours continuously and no issues faced. I still want to inspect for next few days before making a conclusion.

Thanks,

Niladri.

Ok thanks to all of you I have bought the following

1. Polk s30 centre
2. Polk S10 as front l r
3. Taga 212 sw subwoofer
4. Polk s15 pair just bought, yet to install.

The sound is very good and I have been told that they will sound even better after 120 hours usage. I am enjoying Netflix and Prime content mostly.

But I am facing 2 issues currently.

1. Audessey set up calibration not working. I got a second mic from dealer, yet to test it.
2. My speakers stop randomly after 10-15 mins of playback. No sound at all. I turn off avr and turn on. Speakers are fine for 10-15 mins and again no sound. Even I turn off tv and turn on, same thing happens. What might be the issue here!!!!
Also my dealer suggested to mask the hdmi ports I am not using to prevent humidity damage. Is it good to do? Also should I mask all ports nit in use?

Thanks,

Niladri
1) Let us know how you get on. A bit strange for the brand new mic to not work. Make sure it's connected properly.

2) Could be a faulty cable to the AV receiver. Or the AV receiver crashing. Make sure the firmware is up to date.

Not sure about advice regarding humidity damage, but the advice sounds sensible.

Reactions: NiladriDe

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for replying. I have updated firmware yesterday. Also added an ac fan to keep the avr cool enough. As I said already I watched a movie yesterday for 2 hours plus without any issue. But still cannot conclude before 3 -4 days of usage.

Well I saw in web that 2.1 cable is needed for earc to support Dolby Atmos, True hd these formats. Any specific reason for not needing the cable?

Thanks,

Niladri .

1) Your speaker setup does not support Atmos anyway (you need overhead speakers for it).

2) Your 4K blu ray player will be directly connected to the Denon, so you don't need HDMI 2.1 for it.

3) I'm not aware of any apps currently streaming HD audio which regular HDMI cable cannot cope.

You would only need HDMI 2.1 via eARC if your TV apps stream HD audio. All other sources can be directly connected to your Denon.

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Thanks a lot for clarifying. I won't get hdmub2.1 cable then

I am planning to install overhead speakers but it will take some time. No money at the moment

Thanks,

Niladri.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts