I want a new Apple Touch - best price for 8gb

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Been looking for one of these to buy, I found a gen 2 at Tesco Direct for £135 inc. delivery - is this a good price?

Is gen 2 a good one to go for?

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Mine's a second gen and I'm fairly sure it was about 180 quid. But I'd have a third gen now...

But I don't think the 3rd has an 8gb model so would be (or is) way more expensive.

Off topic (slightly) I want an i-pod touch to use as a remote control for my laptop music. I won't have a wireless receiver e.g squeezebox just yet. I wondered wheter (with squeezecenter and ipeng) you could use the i-pod to control music streamed via a hdmi cable from laptop to AV receiver?

John Duncan

mattjax05:But I don't think the 3rd has an 8gb model so would be (or is) way more expensive.

Yup, £149 for the new 8gig one.

mattjax05:I wondered wheter (with squeezecenter and ipeng) you could use the i-pod to control music streamed via a hdmi cable from laptop to AV receiver?

Yup, think so. But I just use Remote (free from the app store) and iTunes.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:mattjax05:But I don't think the 3rd has an 8gb model so would be (or is) way more expensive. Yup, £149 for the new 8gig one.

Oh - I looked on wikipedia and no reference to an 8gb one! Could you point me in the direction please?

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Trefor Patten:

Just go to http://www.apple.com and find all you need. NB it is iPod Touch, not Apple Touch...

Just had a look. The 8gb says 'updated' whereas the 32 and 64 say 'new'

Is the 8gb definitely 3rd gen? Bit confused with this wording!

manicm

mattjax05:Trefor Patten:

Just go to http://www.apple.com and find all you need. NB it is iPod Touch, not Apple Touch...

Just had a look. The 8gb says 'updated' whereas the 32 and 64 say 'new'

Is the 8gb definitely 3rd gen? Bit confused with this wording!

8gb is 2nd gen, but now at lower price and with new OS.

John Duncan

My bad - they do seem to separate the 8gb one out from the 32 and 64 on the site. The bigger ones have voice control and the 8gb one doesn't so they presumably are actually different. Though note that the 2nd gen can be updated to the latest OS for a nominal (YMMV) fee.

GetCarter

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
How about £119 from the Apple re-furb store, at this time of year, with the new models just out, then the previous ones are often sold as refurbs, even though they are new, the only difference is the packaging is of the brown box variety, not the retail version.

davydmx

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

i bought 8gb, 2nd gen Touch, last month and yesterday updated its software to vers. 3.1(£2.99) I believe this now makes it exact same machine as the 'new' 8gb Touch.

It's amazing piece of kit, but being only 8gb, you'll prob sync lossy(aac, mp3) rather than lossless files, and movies/video will likely use use up it's capacity pretty quick!

The 32gb Touch is now officially £229.99(i'd imagine you'll find it £200 or less) I'd advise you to consider what(how much) you'll be syncing to your new machine!

TRENDING THREADS