I thought I couldn’t believe it…

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Oh dear not another cable test... A friend dropped around with some cables which included a 1.5m Black Rhioduim Jazz power cable. I wasn’t intending to do “serious” testing but just to mess around. Anyway, the Black Rhodium (BR) was plugged in and I thought I could hear a noticeable difference in soundstage and clarity immediately. I was sure I could, as was my friend after changing to and from the standard cable that came with my Kandy. After a few bevies I managed to persuade my significant other to participate in a test but only on the premise that we played Dolly Parton. So, I devised a quick test whereby we would listen 20 times to “Jolene”. Oh dear, but quite a moving song half drunk actually! She marked on paper 1 to 20 and underneath a “1” or “0” denoting the cable of choice but making sure each cable was used ten times as randomly as she felt fit. We had to decide which cable sounded better during the 20 playbacks and marked on separate sheets G for Black Rhodium or B the standard. The presumption was that the BR sounded better as I was sure it was from previous listenings. We were quite unobservant whilst she fiddled changing the cables… Once the test had finished I was quite sure I knew which cable was the BR, whilst my friend thought he could tell, but wasn’t as sure. Results: I got the BR correct 8 times out of 20. My friend was correct 11 times. Conclusion: Black Rhodium made no difference in comparison to the sound from the standard cable on my Kandy set up, at least there is little statistical probability in the “results” we obtained. The small sample and scope of test might have limited an accurate measurement. Laphroaig and Budvar might make your lugs hear mush irrespective of choice of cable… Recommendations: Try something similar if your bored or can be bothered…

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="simonkee"]
Recommendations: Try something similar if your bored or can be bothered.[/quote]

LOL! Now, what does "if in doubt, take it out" mean, exactly...?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="simonkee"]
Laphroaig and Budvar might make your lugs hear mush irrespective of choice of cable.[/quote]I think this might be a major factor.I could hear a difference between the standard din that came with my Naim, and the Linn Black that i've been using for years, and from what the sales guy said i thought the din may be better.ps. how can you drink laphroig? it tastes far too peaty harsh. did you have to work your way up to it? I'm currently reaching for the Glenrothes special reserve when ever i'm after a malt.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="simonkee"]Oh dear not another cable test...

A friend dropped around with some cables which included a 1.5m Black Rhioduim Jazz power cable. I wasn't intending to do "serious" testing but just to mess around. Anyway, the Black Rhodium (BR) was plugged in and I thought I could hear a noticeable difference in soundstage and clarity immediately. I was sure I could, as was my friend after changing to and from the standard cable that came with my Kandy.

After a few bevies I managed to persuade my significant other to participate in a test but only on the premise that we played Dolly Parton. So, I devised a quick test whereby we would listen 20 times to "Jolene". Oh dear, but quite a moving song half drunk actually!

She marked on paper 1 to 20 and underneath a "1" or "0" denoting the cable of choice but making sure each cable was used ten times as randomly as she felt fit.

We had to decide which cable sounded better during the 20 playbacks and marked on separate sheets G for Black Rhodium or B the standard. The presumption was that the BR sounded better as I was sure it was from previous listenings.

We were quite unobservant whilst she fiddled changing the cables.

Once the test had finished I was quite sure I knew which cable was the BR, whilst my friend thought he could tell, but wasn't as sure.

Results: I got the BR correct 8 times out of 20. My friend was correct 11 times.

Conclusion: Black Rhodium made no difference in comparison to the sound from the standard cable on my Kandy set up, at least there is little statistical probability in the "results" we obtained.

The small sample and scope of test might have limited an accurate measurement.

Laphroaig and Budvar might make your lugs hear mush irrespective of choice of cable.

Recommendations: Try something similar if your bored or can be bothered.

[/quote]

Surely there can be no differences to hear. How could there?
emotion-40.gif

On the other hand if you would like to repeat the tests with foo interconnects it could be illuminating.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I hope this is not going to turn to another war!

My ABX (a while back) told me that there is some different (sound) when changing cables but most of the time the different is so (very) small that you might as well not worry about them hence why I always recommended Gotham which many of members here bought and happy with.

for around £10 you are getting a pair of nicely shielded cables that should sound not much different than the like of £100 poppular brands cables.

The question here is "Is it Gotham are so good that they bettered many set of cables that cost 10 times as much? or "Most cables sound too similar antway so when you put £10 Gotham in your system they then become a Giant killer!?"

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]
Although I'm on the Talisker at the moment...[/quote]
Now that is a fine whisky...made from mainland water these days though.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gpi"]Now I'm confused. Was whisky tested or mains cables?[/quote]
Arguably, does it matter ;-)

John Duncan

[quote user="gpi"]Now I'm confused. Was whisky tested or mains cables?[/quote]

I'm reminded of the Rikki Fulton sketch where the presenters of a 'Gardeners' Question Time'-style programme are tasting whisky:

"d'ye mind if ah tak' a cuttin'?"
"aye, from the tap, mind, no' the buttom"

Or maybe you had to be there.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Of course it could just be that the Black Rhodium cable isn't very good (see our Buyer's Guide for evidence....)

[/quote]

You have a buyers guide for mains leads? What does it say? Plugged in, power comes out of other end, 5 stars*****?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Masterbluster"][You have a buyers guide for mains leads? What does it say? Plugged in, power comes out of other end, 5 stars*****?[/quote]
Do you actually read the magazine?!
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"][quote user="Masterbluster"][You have a buyers guide for mains leads? What does it say? Plugged in, power comes out of other end, 5 stars*****?[/quote]
emotion-15.gif
[/quote]

I did years ago but not lately. I bought my Pioneer CD recorder about 5 years ago on the strength of a review in it. Good choice, still going strong.
emotion-2.gif

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"][quote user="Masterbluster"][You have a buyers guide for mains leads? What does it say? Plugged in, power comes out of other end, 5 stars*****?[/quote]
emotion-15.gif
[/quote]

What magazine? Mains Monthly? It's quite a shocking read.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fast eddie"]ps. how can you drink laphroig? it tastes far too peaty harsh. [/quote]

How dare you! I might not know anything about Hi Fi but I know my malts and Laphroaig definitely is not harsh! In fact the peatyness takes the harshness right out of my Kandy! And Scotsmen don't work up to it because we are clearly made of sterner stuff ; ) I don't rate Glenrothes, but you could try Highland Park 12yo or Isle of Jura which are both easy on the palate.......I'm on the wrong forum aren't I?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="simonkee"][quote user="fast eddie"]ps. how can you drink laphroig? it tastes far too peaty harsh. [/quote]

How dare you! I might not know anything about Hi Fi but I know my malts and Laphroaig definitely is not harsh! In fact the peatyness takes the harshness right out of my Kandy! And Scotsmen don't work up to it because we are clearly made of sterner stuff ; ) I don't rate Glenrothes, but you could try Highland Park 12yo or Isle of Jura which are both easy on the palate.......I'm on the wrong forum aren't I?[/quote]It might just be me! The Cask strength was just too medicinal for me, so maybe harsh wasnt the right word. i used to love drinking whisky, and then one day couldnt (and no it wasnt after too much one night).

I'm back on it at the moment. In fact as its my last week at one of the distillers i may spend my remaining allowance on another couple of bottles of something. (picked up a Blair Atholl 12y/o for about £22 last month) :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts