I think that Clearaudio have gone mad

WayneKerr

Bit of a specific diameter 7.3mm.

A light touch from reamer (if necessary from both sides of the disc) would do the trick - but how often is it even necessary?
To be honest, with my Marantz, (Clearaudio), table it happens quite often. All my LPs fitted perfectly on every other table I've owned, only ever had issues with the Marantz spindle, I actually bought a 7.3mm drill for that very purpose but it didn't cost me £45 :)

Last edited:

camcroft

To be honest, with my Marantz, (Clearaudio), table it happens quite often. All my LPs fitted perfectly on every other table I've owned, only ever had issues with the Marantz spindle, I actually bought a 7.3mm drill for that very purpose but it didn't cost me £45.
I just take a sharp pointed knife insert it in the hole and turn back and forth till it fits.I mostly find this problem with 180gram records because of their thickness and the small spindle of the rega sub plater.

It’s an interesting subject, because it looks as though - during the history of the LP - different manufacturers of turntables have used fractionally different spindle sizes.

I can see the conundrum: too large and you get a snug fit but some discs will be awkward; too small and all records fit but some may be slightly loose which risks wow occurring.

Reactions: WayneKerr
To be honest, with my Marantz, (Clearaudio), table it happens quite often. All my LPs fitted perfectly on every other table I've owned, only ever had issues with the Marantz spindle, I actually bought a 7.3mm drill for that very purpose but it didn't cost me £45 :)
Sounds like Clearaudio offering a solution to a problem they create! :ROFLMAO:

camcroft

Which is odd because I thought the holes were a standard size.
That said some Roksan decks have removable spindles
Michell make two record clamps one for the general turntables and one for Rega turntables. My one I used to use with my Thorens won't work on my present turntable as it's based on Rega components and the spindle is shorter.

Reactions: Al ears

Geoff P.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
In defence of turntable manufacturers, I had noticed that a small number of my LPs were tight on the spindle of my Thorens TD166 MK2.
As an ex-workshop fitter, I knew that a 2-flute drill ( like the Clearaudio offering ) was likely to stall or grab in a relatively thin LP.
As the amount of correction needed was minimal, my solution was to use a tapered square-section plastic chopstick ! Turning and pushing it in the hole resulted in the softer vinyl opening up gradually.
Once a good fit on the spindle was achieved, that position on the chopstick was marked, giving me a reference point for the future.
Cost -Nil !
Happy Days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts