I hate myself...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Okay, so I've been fooling around for some time now behind my FLAC player's back. I didn't mean for it to happen, I guess we all say that, but my affections recently shifted to a... Turntable. She is a simple little thing, a Pro-Ject Carbon, and to be honest after my initial interest had been pricked and I had progressed beyond fumbling around with her, my interest had begun to wane. Then yesterday I met her bigger sister, the Xtension 10. Oh boy. I now know what the audiophile vinyl hype is all about.

I hate myself because I know that my digital files are of a higher resolution. I hate myself because I know I am listening to colouration and distortion. I hate myself because although I know it cannot sound better than digital, it simply does!

So I bought it there and then. So profound was my experience that I gave the dealer nearly £3K (including cartridge) On the spot. It was as simple and clearly obvious as that to me. Anybody else had a similar moment of clarity and been tempted back to the dark side?

If you really want to explore the dark side, hook that baby up to some Valves. Go on. You know you want to.*diablo*

Loving being back to the dark side,but my wife....she's not as fond....now that I keep spending shed loads on vinyl and that's not to mention the money I've put into the turntabl,cart and phono stage the past few months.,I've got to get to grips with this record buying addiction,I'm sure it'll wear off soon.lol.but it is sounding very nice now it has to be said.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Loving being back to the dark side,but my wife....she's not as fond....now that I keep spending shed loads on vinyl and that's not to mention the money I've put into the turntabl,cart and phono stage the past few months.,I've got to get to grips with this record buying addiction,I'm sure it'll wear off soon.lol.but it is sounding very nice now it has to be said.

Mrs DDC is bored with her coupe, she says she wants something a bit smaller and more 'nimble'.

I can see my upgrade budget disappearing into the long grass yet again...*dash1*

davedotco said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Mrs DDC is bored with her coupe, she says she wants something a bit smaller and more 'nimble'.

I can see my upgrade budget disappearing into the long grass yet again...*dash1*

Buy her a loaf of bread? ;-)

P.S.: You probably need to be British to get the attempted jocularity.

Having heard my friends gyro se I was blown away by the musicality. Not long after that I bought a rotel turntable, I already had records from my teens and twenties. This set me on my way to buying the marantz that I have now.

my advice, listen to a gyrodec. Your ears will tell you what sounds good/bad/better.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Anybody else had a similar moment of clarity and been tempted back to the dark side?

Nope. I get the objet d'art thing (there are some beautiful looking turntables) but as a music player, ... err, no thanks.
PS Congrats on your purchase, sounds good.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
Having heard my friends gyro se I was blown away by the musicality. Not long after that I bought a rotel turntable, I already had records from my teens and twenties. This set me on my way to buying the marantz that I have now.

my advice, listen to a gyrodec. Your ears will tell you what sounds good/bad/better.

I tried an Orbe SE with a Townshend arm and was really impressed. Also tried an Avid Diva SP with SME. It was however the Pro-Ject package which pinned me to my chair. Not the most revealing of the decks I auditioned but definitely the most musical.

Pro-Ject and Rega are both companies which have a bad rep at the higher end of the market because they make budget decks by the thousand. Very good budget decks but nevertheless budget. Their more exotic products can therefore be overlooked which is a shame because the Pro-Ject upper end is very, very good.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Okay, so I've been fooling around for some time now behind my FLAC player's back. I didn't mean for it to happen, I guess we all say that, but my affections recently shifted to a... Turntable. She is a simple little thing, a Pro-Ject Carbon, and to be honest after my initial interest had been pricked and I had progressed beyond fumbling around with her, my interest had begun to wane. Then yesterday I met her bigger sister, the Xtension 10. Oh boy. I now know what the audiophile vinyl hype is all about.

I hate myself because I know that my digital files are of a higher resolution. I hate myself because I know I am listening to colouration and distortion. I hate myself because although I know it cannot sound better than digital, it simply does!

So I bought it there and then. So profound was my experience that I gave the dealer nearly £3K (including cartridge) On the spot. It was as simple and clearly obvious as that to me. Anybody else had a similar moment of clarity and been tempted back to the dark side?

Thats some real crazy moment. I hope it lasts for you. i never going to listen to a good player so i cant be tempted.

to a good player, I would be tempted to the extreme but sadly my pockets will never be deep enough... ;-)

Reading the original post brought a big smile to my face, especially considering the nature of another on-going thread...

K

keeper of the quays

I have been listening to a Dixieland jazz lp from 1959...its a super duper hifi recording and it certainly is! There is something very special about vinyl records...maybe it's this little chip of diamond weaving it's way around a record? Bobbing up and down! Seems almost magical! Plus the enchantment of the sleeve..whats there not to like..

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
about vinyl. It's a love thing! I remember deciding what to play then reading the sleeve notes, hmm interesting..carefully sliding the vinyl from the sleeve propped up on three fingers and a thumb..inspecting it for dust then running it through a cleaning process regardless. Zap with an anti-static gun and then onto the platter...oh damn there's a speck of dust on it. Clean the platter, right here we go..oh damn while I was cleaning the platter a speck of dust landed on the vinyl..grr.. reclean and voila let's go. Now who couldn't be 'attached' to any medium where one goes through all that loving care and attention to detail just to listen to its contents?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
paulkebab said:
about vinyl. It's a love thing! I remember deciding what to play then reading the sleeve notes, hmm interesting..carefully sliding the vinyl from the sleeve propped up on three fingers and a thumb..inspecting it for dust then running it through a cleaning process regardless. Zap with an anti-static gun and then onto the platter...oh damn there's a speck of dust on it. Clean the platter, right here we go..oh damn while I was cleaning the platter a speck of dust landed on the vinyl..grr.. reclean and voila let's go. Now who couldn't be 'attached' to any medium where one goes through all that loving care and attention to detail just to listen to its contents?

If one is worried about every click and pop (there needn't be many but it depends on a variety of factors) ... Records are not the way forward. Stick with other sources.

The mind is very good at blocking out certain noises if the sound is appealing otherwise.

Some people just can't put up with it or the high maintenance (and storage) factor of vinyl. Fair play.

Having moved twice in the last three years it crossed my mind a few times but I just can't do without a TT or three.

I got to be honest, the fun of tweaking is also a factor. I'd love to try some silicon fluid damping ala Townshend, Paris, WT ... .

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I've thought about this quite a bit, and I think that many of the drawbacks of vinyl are what actually makes it my preferred medium. Essentially, I can and do listen to digital music walking around town, on the train and in the car but I can't listen to an LP.

This is definitely a drawback of vinyl but what it means is that If I want to listen to an LP I have to sit in front of my record player having made the time to do so. I then have to select an album, take it out, run a brush over it, put it on and sit down. Part way through, I have to get up and turn it over. This restriction on my choice, imposed by the demands of an antiquated format means the quality of my immersion improves.

Now I know the obvious argument goes that you can give your full attention in the same seat to digital music, but time is so tight, I rarely do. And because I can listen to digital elsewhere, I find I tend to use my down-time listening to stuff I only have on LP.

Clearly, this isn't a case for anyone to buy into records, but already owning them, I have found this to be an ironic truth.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
It can, and obviously does, sound better, because better is a subjective thing. Technically it is less accurate and measures worse, but the enjoyment you get from it and the objective facts aren't mutually exclusive.

Personally ive yet to take the leap for space and cost reasons, but there's clearly something to vinyl otherwise it wouldn't get such love.

never really used good vinyl player but as I long time camera user these digital/ vinyl threads reminds me very much why I love film and why I don't use one anymore

it's expensive, it takes more time, space, thinkin about equipment, it's got worst technical quality but people love it..

and as you go higher in film formats ( medium and above) results looks more like images from digital camera just like going higher up in vinyl players gives more cd like playback..

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I read the new thread "Covers that are better than the original" as "Converts that are better than the original" thinking it's another vinyl yay thread. Whew!

emoticon-0141-whew.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I read the new thread "Covers that are better than the original" as "Converts that are better than the original" thinking it's another vinyl yay thread. Whew!

I know. Unthinkable that on a hifi forum ... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts