I Dont Believe It!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In the process of trying to source a cart for my TT project, I went into 7Oaks in town to see what they were able to offer.

'Sorry, we dont sell TT carts'

'Eh! What! are you 'avin a laugh'. 'Excuse me but you sell TT's'

'Yes but they come as a package with cart attached'

Not even an offer to get one in special order. I left, squeezing the life out of the tenners I had in my pocket. It was either that or strangle the wife...........

So, it appears that there's nowhere in Plymouth that sells them. There is a Richersounds but they dont stock them. Thats it, no more Hifi shops within a 20 mile radius. The one 20 miles away dont keep stock (to order only). Looks like mail order again.

Jeez...I envy you guys who have a decent shop within easy reach.

scene

raym87:
In the process of trying to source a cart for my TT project, I went into 7Oaks in town to see what they were able to offer.

'Sorry, we dont sell TT carts'

'Eh! What! are you 'avin a laugh'. 'Excuse me but you sell TT's'

'Yes but they come as a package with cart attached'

Not even an offer to get one in special order. I left, squeezing the life out of the tenners I had in my pocket. It was either that or strangle the wife...........

Is this 7Oaks policy or just your local Plymouth one?

I think we need to know! (Looking to upgrade the cartridge on my venerable Pro-Ject Debut II someday...)

Sliced Bread

Maybe just local. Sevenoaks is a franchise. I have experienced a VERY different level of service from one store to another.
Witham Sevenoaks...service is some of the best I've had, only equalling audiophile in Bishops stortford.
Watford Sevenoaks...The worst service I have ever experienced an any shop, anywhere...ever. Twice!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Jeez

There's not been a decent shop down there since I worked for Radford Hi-Fi, which Sevenoaks took over in the late 90's. And that was after losing Peter Russell's Hi-Fi Attic too.

If this is becoming quite common around the UK, it might explain why we sell so many cartridges via mail order, particularly Denons. Honestly, I've never knownything like it - I've never seen a store sell so many cartidges, not even when vinyl was more popular!

A

Anonymous

I second the comment about variability. Cambridge Sevenoaks were very helpful to me when I bought my hi-fi. Bristol - absolutely shocking rudeness and poor customer service when I went in to talk about Blu-ray. Audiofile (only been into the Cambridge one, except during the Bishop's Stortford 1 day sale spectacular) have always been very helpful, to the extent that I called them up afterwards to thank them for their help and time in trying out systems, and to apologise for buying from somewhere else something that they didn't stock!

Sliced Bread

yes...audiophile can be good. I've seen some excellent deals in their Jan sales too. A few years back I saw an immaculate ex-demo PV1 for £650 just a few weeks after it won its first WHF Annual award.
They have a lot of time for you too.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Very quick and clear response back from Sevenoaks:

"We do not have a policy regarding the stocking of cartridges for turntables, this would be a decision taken on a store-by-store basis, dependent largely on demand. As our Plymouth store said, almost all the turntables we stock come with a cartridge pre-fitted, so there is less and less call for separate cartridges these days.

However I would say that all our stores sell turntables and I would expect that most of them stock a couple of options in the way of cartridges, and would normally be happy to get others in to order from companies such as Ortofon, Grado and Goldring".

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

Very quick and clear response back from Sevenoaks:

"We do not have a policy regarding the stocking of cartridges for turntables, this would be a decision taken on a store-by-store basis, dependent largely on demand. As our Plymouth store said, almost all the turntables we stock come with a cartridge pre-fitted, so there is less and less call for separate cartridges these days.

However I would say that all our stores sell turntables and I would expect that most of them stock a couple of options in the way of cartridges, and would normally be happy to get others in to order from companies such as Ortofon, Grado and Goldring".

Thanks for the response Clare. I appreciate there is no point in stocking what isnt going to sell. However in this case there were no stocked options and the offer to get one in to order didnt materialise.

A

Anonymous

Saying we don't stock cartridges as all our TT's come with them is a bit like Boots saying we don't stock razor blades as the razors come with them. Maybe they don't need to stock them but, as you say, offer to order some in.

My Sevenoaks is good by the way, Bromley branch. They've always offered to send off for anything they didn't have in stock.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I think another reason might be that whilst it's simple to order one in, a lot of customers who buy a cartridge from a hifi dealer would hope that they could fit it for them as well.

If the dealer only stocks TTs with factory-fitted carts, their staff may not have the knowledge or experience to do the job properly.

But yes, I bought my DL-110 mail order for similar reasons.

A

Anonymous

FBSF....the denon is something I have had a sideways look at. Do you think it would work well with a RB301 arm?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts