I am fed up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
There's a certain company being sued in France for slowing down their phones when they get older. That story hasn't appeared either.

My

iPhone is

running just

fine.

jjbomber said:
Of course, maybe the news broke when they were away on their 'holiday' in California, paid for by a certain company. Better not say why or the fanboys will get upset

They can checkout any time they like, but they can never leave.

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I'll get my coat
regular_smile.png

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Leeps said:
Couldn't agree more with all the above comments.

Doesn't Jay Z get it, that with x million subscribers, they may not actually all like rap and hip-hop. I can't stand those genres, yet the Home Page is saturated with it. Tidal does actually have an extensive catalogue now and if you know the album you're looking for you can often find it there, but certainly music discovery that's loosely based around the individual subscriber's own musical taste is non-existant on Tidal.

Spotify used to send me a monthly email giving me a dozen suggestions of albums I might like based on my previous musical choices.  They were often albums I came to enjoy. If other musical streaming services can do a bit of scrobbling, surely Tidal can too rather than force-feeding its users with hip-hop they will never want to listen to.  The new albums section too is dominated by albums with "parental advisory explicit lyrics" albums that you just know are from the same unsavoury genre.

It's a music streaming service that almost makes it quite tough to find the music you like. Its genre-based music exploration tabs are pretty limited. "Folk and Americana" are under the same banner so although I like folk, most albums there are bluegrass and country style which I'm not really into.

I feel a certain loyalty to Tidal as I subscribed to them before Jay-Z took over purely for SQ reasons, but like the others posting here, its SQ is the only reason I'm sticking with it and if Spotify took the plunge into CD quality streaming, I would definitely jump ship.  Tidal needs a major re-design of its front-end that excludes Jay Z from the design process. Message to Tidal staff: next time he's on holiday or ill, change it without him knowing!

that seems mandatory in genres like hip-hop and rap, don't leave them with too many employable words to get creative. All tracks are the same. Just different ways of saying the 'F' word if one thought that sort of thing was cool :)

I dare not play any tidal's modern autonomous playlists with my daughter in the house.

D

Deleted member 160668

‘all tracks are same and different ways of saying F word. ‘

Couldn’t disagree more with this comment. Not all rap/hip hop is the same... Yes, admittedly most of the mainstream commercial stuff does swear a lot, talk about money, hoes and the like... Total rubbish generally!

However a lot of hip hop is like poetry and storytelling. Spoken rhyming skills. No need for excessive F dropping which is totally unnecessary.

I feel I can comment here as I am a MASSIVE hip hop head with many hundreds CDs in this genre and the bulk of the live gigs I see are hiphop bands.

D

Deleted member 160668

When I get a chance I’ll create a thread of really good hip hop artists/groups which are not commercial, don’t swear loads and you’ve probably never heard of.

There are some gems to be heard and I’m sure I could point you to some you’d like.

Oldskool1976

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Speaking of Jay Z and his ilk, I was told I was racist the other day (not by anyone on here) because I don't like (modern) black music, ie hop hop, rap, and what laughably passes for R&B. So hang on I said, what about the fact I like Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Nat 'King' Cole, Diana Ross and Ella Fitzgerald, I'm sure they were/are black? Oh that's old music and doesn't count. Ok fair enough, I'm racist.

Thats hilarious!

I also know plenty of black people who do not like mordern hip-hop, I wonder what that lefty idiot that said "you were racist" would say to that!?

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Where I work I am subjected to contemporary music on Heart or Radio 1 . I must say most of it is really awful, apart from a rare one most modern day singers have awful voices. There seems to be a lot of young male singers who really sounds like the same person, an adolescent who just after breaking his voice makes a record (sorry I don't know what its called nowadays) in his front bedroom. And then theres that irritating singer who sings about having 'sunshine in his pocket' thats all the song has got that annoying lyric, no melody, no voice but that awful 'sunshine in my pocket' like its some kind of cheap commercial gimmick drawing you in to hear this noise. And last of all that annoying, whinning, moaning Stan Smith with his high pitched squeal, - such torture in this world. And to all of you who pay a monthly £20 to Tidal, Spotify, Quobuz, Roon (glorified library where you pay for the privilege), why do it, is the SQ so different to CD? I went to HMV and bought myself various Cd's. They are mine to keep, SQ is good, I can read their lyrics and all other info and no nonsense of a direct debit to any one.

Sorry for the above but I have had my rant and I feel good.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
amormusic said:
When I get a chance I’ll create a thread of really good hip hop artists/groups which are not commercial, don’t swear loads and you’ve probably never heard of. 

There are some gems to be heard and I’m sure I could point you to some you’d like. 

That you be great. I like EDM and loads of bass. The hip-hop I've tried so far has too much swearing to be heard in a dining room with a kid around . Will look forward to your thread

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Romulus said:
And to all of you who pay a monthly £20 to Tidal, Spotify, Quobuz, Roon (glorified library where you pay for the privilege), why do it, is the SQ so different to CD? I went to HMV and bought myself various Cd's. They are mine to keep, SQ is good, I can read their lyrics and all other info and no nonsense of a direct debit to any one.

It's not the sound quality, it's more about discovering new music and you have so much variety, to get anything like that you would need a vaste library of cds. A lot I play I would not buy but I can play them the odd time. Problem is over the years have loads of cds I now never ever play. Quite a few I only played a few times, so I wasted my money. You don't have to pay £20pm, in fact there are quite a few free services. WIthout streaming I would not know what to buy anyway. If people sugggest music on here do you go out and buy the cd?

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
jeru the damaja is good, still got a lot of effing and jeffin in it tho, public enemy, roots manuva, killah priest heavy mental is also good album, im running out of non sweary stuff now lol but there is lots of non bragging rap about

D

Deleted member 160668

On netflix is a series called ‘HipHop Evolution’ which was really good.

From start onwards... Worth a watch if your into older hip hop.

*appreciate this will be like marmite to people!

D

Deleted member 160668

Common Market, Tobacco Road album is a great listen.

Not fatty bass, but goddamn he has some serious flowing rapping skills.

*Winter takes it all is my fav song off album.

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Lots of modern rap is basically posturing little sh*ts to be fair, they say things that people used to say when getting thrown out the boozer, i'll eat your kids and burn your gaff down lol some of it is mad funny tho

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts