Deezer or Spotify Premium (or something else)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
There is a Chromecast Ethernet Adapter sold separately for 15$. It's basically the power adapter combined with ethernet plug, so you don't have to use wifi with your router.

hZLbV2h8kgrQsM3RMsESCkkXr_oiQsDGpye2y5VZz6VPUoG6ltbGlbC10B2vwCNPiiul

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Is it actually capable of powering a Chromecast though?

It looks like your typical passive USB hub.

Oops didn't check that. A USB Y cable in that case sorts it out. But the genuine Chromecast adapter is best elegant solution. I was just throwing this out there. I prefer to go wifi and have less wires flopping around.

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
[font="Arial, sans-serif"]I've read somewhere that Deezer some times plays music at 128kbps instead of 320kbps even when high quality is turned on. Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not? [/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif"]Source: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/deezer-vs-spotify-bitrate-sound-quality.688383/[/font]

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Dragonsword said:
I've read somewhere that Deezer some times plays music at 128kbps instead of 320kbps even when high quality is turned on. Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?

Source: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/deezer-vs-spotify-bitrate-sound-quality.688383/

Probably same case with all streaming services, they deserve the rights to drop down streaming quality in certain scenarios (server overload, unavailable higher res files etc.). Most of the time we should be getting 320.

From what I've read most complaints for not getting 320 quality is from new users that still play cached files once streamed as at 128 in Free sub.

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Dragonsword said:
I've read somewhere that Deezer some times plays music at 128kbps instead of 320kbps even when high quality is turned on. Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?

Source: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/deezer-vs-spotify-bitrate-sound-quality.688383/

Probably same case with all streaming services, they deserve the rights to drop down streaming quality in certain scenarios (server overload, unavailable higher res files etc.). Most of the time we should be getting 320.

From what I've read most complaints for not getting 320 quality is from new users that still play cached files once streamed as at 128 in Free sub.

I read somewhere later in the same thread that Deezer's bitrate used to vary between 128kbps and 320kbps but is now a consistent 320kbps.

Deezer's interface is actually quite lackluster some times and I'm considering switching to Google Play Music. I'm using it right now. Deezer sounds a bit lackluster as well.

Spotify is another option, but I cannot check premium's sound quality and full interface without ads right now as I'm not subscribed to it anymore and I don't have the option to get a free trial.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I compared same albums on both premium GPM and Spotify, the difference is minute. I prefered what I think I heard as different in GPM's favor.

I got Chromecast Audio in the mail, will have it in my system by tomorrow. It will completely eliminates the need for a HTPC, which means less money wasted on electric bills.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Currently spinning some jazz via GPM and CCA. Setup was stupid easy and everything works beautifully. Sound is smooth and detailed. Device outputs full 2Vrms so I'm using the dedicated charger, not connecting to a laptop USB 5V bus.
BBC iPlayer and Spotify also work brilliantly. Not a single glitch or dropout so far.
Money well spent.

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Currently spinning some jazz via GPM and CCA. Setup was stupid easy and everything works beautifully. Sound is smooth and detailed. Device outputs full 2Vrms so I'm using the dedicated charger, not connecting to a laptop USB 5V bus. BBC iPlayer and Spotify also work brilliantly. Not a single glitch or dropout so far. Money well spent.

What is CCA?

I noticed you can actually use media keyboard controls with GPM while it's in the browser. That's quite surprising considering some (music streaming) desktop apps don't even work with media keyboard controls.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts