I am fed up

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... with Tidal sending me Jay-Z notifications. Equally I do not want to see a blxxx Jay-Z banner if I open the app!

I pay twenty quid a month!

The ONLY thing keeping me there is SQ. The interface is still not up to Spotify.

Perhaps I jump to Quobuz.

Any news at all on Spotify lossless?

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
... with Tidal sending me Jay-Z notifications. Equally I do not want to see a blxxx Jay-Z banner if I open the app!

I pay twenty quid a month!

The ONLY thing keeping me there is SQ. The interface is still not up to Spotify.

Perhaps I jump to Quobuz.

+1, annoying. And thanks insider for the config tip didn't realise I could switch it off. SQ still worth it for me despite the questionable home page.

jjbomber

drummerman said:

Spotify have filed papers at the New York Stock Exchange in anticipation of a float some time before the end of March, or anytime thereafter. I would imagine that would change a lot of things and hopefully lossless after that. I am surprised that WhatHiFi haven't reported such a big news story in the hi-fi world. *biggrin*

They also failed to report a 64% jump in Samsungs profits. I wonder why? *biggrin*

daveh75

jjbomber said:
drummerman said:

Spotify have filed papers at the New York Stock Exchange in anticipation of a float some time before the end of March, or anytime thereafter. I would imagine that would change a lot of things and hopefully lossless after that.

They also now have a $1.6 Billion copyright infringement lawsuit hanging over them...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Just finished a trial with Tidal, I agree the sound quality is better but also agree about the homepage and Jay-Z are a real turn off. Now they are offering me 90 day free trial which I may do.

I prefer Deezer to Spotify, they are doing lossless streaming now £20pm, they have a free 30 day trial.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
Is Deezer (lossless) finally available to non Sonos customers?

It seems to be:

"To get FLAC quality streaming, you need a supported HiFi device[/b]. If you’re using Deezer without a HiFi supported device, you’ll get Premium+ audio quality.

Supported Devices include:
SonosBang & OlufsenAny Mac or Windows computer running the Deezer Desktop app"
[/list]

daveh75

insider9 said:

Yes, I posted about it some time ago, and just looking you even commented on it *biggrin*

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-media/deezer-now-supports-lossless-flac-streaming

insider9

BigH said:
insider9 said:

It seems to be:

"To get FLAC quality streaming, you need a supported HiFi device. If you’re using Deezer without a HiFi supported device, you’ll get Premium+ audio quality.

• Sonos
  • Bang & Olufsen
  • Any Mac or Windows computer running the Deezer Desktop app" 
Thanks BigH, good to know. For me it would only be contingency if Tidal was to go under. I'm using Tidal with Roon so hoping all is well.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
BigH said:
insider9 said:

It seems to be:

"To get FLAC quality streaming, you need a supported HiFi device. If you’re using Deezer without a HiFi supported device, you’ll get Premium+ audio quality.

• Sonos
  • Bang & Olufsen
  • Any Mac or Windows computer running the Deezer Desktop app"
Thanks BigH, good to know. For me it would only be contingency if Tidal was to go under. I'm using Tidal with Roon so hoping all is well.

Yes I heard Roon is good with Tidal unlike JRiver.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't agree more with all the above comments.

Doesn't Jay Z get it, that with x million subscribers, they may not actually all like rap and hip-hop. I can't stand those genres, yet the Home Page is saturated with it. Tidal does actually have an extensive catalogue now and if you know the album you're looking for you can often find it there, but certainly music discovery that's loosely based around the individual subscriber's own musical taste is non-existant on Tidal.

Spotify used to send me a monthly email giving me a dozen suggestions of albums I might like based on my previous musical choices. They were often albums I came to enjoy. If other musical streaming services can do a bit of scrobbling, surely Tidal can too rather than force-feeding its users with hip-hop they will never want to listen to. The new albums section too is dominated by albums with "parental advisory explicit lyrics" albums that you just know are from the same unsavoury genre.

It's a music streaming service that almost makes it quite tough to find the music you like. Its genre-based music exploration tabs are pretty limited. "Folk and Americana" are under the same banner so although I like folk, most albums there are bluegrass and country style which I'm not really into.

I feel a certain loyalty to Tidal as I subscribed to them before Jay-Z took over purely for SQ reasons, but like the others posting here, its SQ is the only reason I'm sticking with it and if Spotify took the plunge into CD quality streaming, I would definitely jump ship. Tidal needs a major re-design of its front-end that excludes Jay Z from the design process. Message to Tidal staff: next time he's on holiday or ill, change it without him knowing!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Leeps said:
Couldn't agree more with all the above comments.

Doesn't Jay Z get it, that with x million subscribers, they may not actually all like rap and hip-hop. I can't stand those genres, yet the Home Page is saturated with it. Tidal does actually have an extensive catalogue now and if you know the album you're looking for you can often find it there, but certainly music discovery that's loosely based around the individual subscriber's own musical taste is non-existant on Tidal.

Spotify used to send me a monthly email giving me a dozen suggestions of albums I might like based on my previous musical choices.  They were often albums I came to enjoy. If other musical streaming services can do a bit of scrobbling, surely Tidal can too rather than force-feeding its users with hip-hop they will never want to listen to.  The new albums section too is dominated by albums with "parental advisory explicit lyrics" albums that you just know are from the same unsavoury genre.

It's a music streaming service that almost makes it quite tough to find the music you like. Its genre-based music exploration tabs are pretty limited. "Folk and Americana" are under the same banner so although I like folk, most albums there are bluegrass and country style which I'm not really into.

I feel a certain loyalty to Tidal as I subscribed to them before Jay-Z took over purely for SQ reasons, but like the others posting here, its SQ is the only reason I'm sticking with it and if Spotify took the plunge into CD quality streaming, I would definitely jump ship.  Tidal needs a major re-design of its front-end that excludes Jay Z from the design process. Message to Tidal staff: next time he's on holiday or ill, change it without him knowing!

+1

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Spotify have filed papers at the New York Stock Exchange in anticipation of a float some time before the end of March, or anytime thereafter. I would imagine that would change a lot of things and hopefully lossless after that. I am surprised that WhatHiFi haven't reported such a big news story in the hi-fi world. *biggrin*

They also failed to report a 64% jump in Samsungs profits. I wonder why? *biggrin*

Perhaps those stories didn't Apple to them ;-)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
jjbomber said:

It’s not all rosy at Samsung ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41604860

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of Jay Z and his ilk, I was told I was racist the other day (not by anyone on here) because I don't like (modern) black music, ie hop hop, rap, and what laughably passes for R&B. So hang on I said, what about the fact I like Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Nat 'King' Cole, Diana Ross and Ella Fitzgerald, I'm sure they were/are black? Oh that's old music and doesn't count. Ok fair enough, I'm racist.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Speaking of Jay Z and his ilk, I was told I was racist the other day (not by anyone on here) because I don't like (modern) black music, ie hop hop, rap, and what laughably passes for R&B. So hang on I said, what about the fact I like Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Nat 'King' Cole, Diana Ross and Ella Fitzgerald, I'm sure they were/are black? Oh that's old music and doesn't count. Ok fair enough, I'm racist.

I hate Rap, not just don't like, call that music, mind you I don't like a lot of modern music anyway. Call me a racist, I don't care but I have probably more cds with black artists than white, mind you most of them are dead now. I think part of the problem is Tidal is american, rap, hip-hop and country are popular there.

Gray

MajorFubar said:

That criteria would brand a lot of people as racists. Whereas it's really just a natural dislike of sh*t.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Gray said:
MajorFubar said:

That criteria would brand a lot of people as racists. Whereas it's really just a natural dislike of sh*t.

Agreed !

Goes without saying that I am obviously a rampant racist , biggot and misogynist because I am old white and male and have a capability to think independently.

I still refuse to listen to modern black music though, or "jibber jabber" as I call it which is probably a serious offence . *sorry2*

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
haha thats a good one, i like public enemy but dont like my computer telling me what to listen to, windows 10 is basically spyware, zappa is probably what i listen to most tho lots of different styles although lots of it is poo to be fair

jjbomber

spiny norman said:

Very clever Spiny.

There's a certain company being sued in France for slowing down their phones when they get older. That story hasn't appeared either.

Of course, maybe the news broke when they were away on their 'holiday' in California, paid for by a certain company. Better not say why or the fanboys will get upset.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts