I’ve been very bad boy and brought a Yamaha A-S3000

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
They are basically saying if they can’t find a fault with the amplifier it’s normal for them to send the amplifier back to the customer because they basically said that In order for them to get there money back of Yamaha the amplifier has to have a fault and there has to be a valid reason .

i understand it’s not my concern what they do with the amplifier and Yamaha them selfs and I understand that I can cancel the order and buy somewhere else but I didn’t expect the amplifier suddenly come back to life which has obviously changed things and obviously they have a policy which I understand

so my options are have the amplifier back or cancel the order as I can’t see me getting a replacement amplifier when the one I sent back is working again
Ebay AS3000 2 year warranty silver/black .......£2,999.99p

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
They are basically saying if they can’t find a fault with the amplifier it’s normal for them to send the amplifier back to the customer because they basically said that In order for them to get there money back of Yamaha the amplifier has to have a fault and there has to be a valid reason .

i understand it’s not my concern what they do with the amplifier and Yamaha them selfs and I understand that I can cancel the order and buy somewhere else but I didn’t expect the amplifier suddenly come back to life which has obviously changed things and obviously they have a policy which I understand

so my options are have the amplifier back or cancel the order as I can’t see me getting a replacement amplifier when the one I sent back is working again
Ebay AS3000 2 year warranty silver/black .......£2,999.99p
in sliver it’s the same people I brought the Yamaha A-S2100 from And I’ve already asked them if they had a black Yamaha A-S3000 before I went with Audiovisual

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
FWIW. I would not take the Amp back.....but if you do, make sure that if it gives bother again (within a specified time), they will exchange it with no questions asked. Remember, once you have owned it for a while, they will only replace it, if it breaks down regularly.

Your window of being able to cancel the order is limited.....so if that is your course of action, now would be the moment.
it’s normally 30 days so I was told to day but yes I would have to have that agreement in place if I expected the amplifier back

Tonestar1

Blacksabbath25 said:
JamesMellor said:
so if the amplifier runs ok on Monday all day it will be sent back to me as Audiovisual obviously have to have a reason to send the amplifier back to Yamaha so they need to find a fault to do this which I understand .

but basically it’s made me look stupid because it’s running fine there end so I just do not understand what went wrong with the amplifier with me

Under no circumstances would I be accepting it back. You know it had a fault and if you accept it back you will be forever worrying it will go again. There's clearly something not right with it and you have paid a large sum of money for a less than perfect product. I would speak to them on Monday and be quite firm with them explaining you don't want it back and that under distance selling law you will be cancelling the order if a new replacement isn't arranged. Just to add you don't look stupid at all, you didn't do anything wrong, just bad luck you received a faulty product.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW. I would not take the Amp back.....but if you do, make sure that if it gives bother again (within a specified time), they will exchange it with no questions asked. Remember, once you have owned it for a while, they will only replace it, if it breaks down regularly.

Your window of being able to cancel the order is limited.....so if that is your course of action, now would be the moment.

Tonestar1

Blacksabbath25 said:
Tonestar1 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
JamesMellor said:
so if the amplifier runs ok on Monday all day it will be sent back to me as Audiovisual obviously have to have a reason to send the amplifier back to Yamaha so they need to find a fault to do this which I understand .

but basically it’s made me look stupid because it’s running fine there end so I just do not understand what went wrong with the amplifier with me

Under no circumstances would I be accepting it back. You know it had a fault and if you accept it back you will be forever worrying it will go again. There's clearly something not right with it and you have paid a large some of money for a less than perfect product. I would speak to them on Monday and be quite firm with them explaining you don't want it back and that under distance selling law you will be cancelling the order if a new replacement isn't arranged. Just to add you don't look stupid at all, you didn't do anything wrong, just bad luck you received a faulty product.
but they are not finding anything wrong with it at the moment which is very puzzling

They haven't actually tested anything as far as I can tell from the information you have provided. All they have done is plug it in and play music. No chance would I be accepting it back. Get a refund and buy somewhere else. After reading this thread I certainly wouldn't consider purchasing from this retailer. It's £4k!!! not a £200 amp. If I pay 4k for an amp i'd expect top dollar service, they are messing you about. This is not something I'd be prepared to tolerate. There are a lot of good dealers out there who provide top drawer service and you shouldn't have to put up with this nonsense.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I would cancel it and get a full refund. Just because they run it in the shop does not mean it's perfect, something that has already gone wrong is likely to go wrong again, if it can't run more than an hour or2 without cutting out there must be a problem. You don't have to prove there is aproblem within the the first 6 months. ALso if they are runing it for days in the shop then is this not ex demo rather than brand new?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
I would cancel it and get a full refund. Just because they run it in the shop does not mean it's perfect, something that has already gone wrong is likely to go wrong again, if it can't run more than an hour or2 without cutting out there must be a problem. You don't have to prove there is aproblem within the the first 6 months. ALso if they are runing it for days in the shop then is this not ex demo rather than brand new?
technically I still own the amplifier still and they have run the amplifier today for about 5 hours with out a issue and then trying again Monday with 4 ohm speakers but basically I am not really happy with the situation and I didn’t expect this to happen .

so the wise thing to do is cancel the order I think

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Tonestar1 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
JamesMellor said:

Under no circumstances would I be accepting it back. You know it had a fault and if you accept it back you will be forever worrying it will go again. There's clearly something not right with it and you have paid a large some of money for a less than perfect product. I would speak to them on Monday and be quite firm with them explaining you don't want it back and that under distance selling law you will be cancelling the order if a new replacement isn't arranged. Just to add you don't look stupid at all, you didn't do anything wrong, just bad luck you received a faulty product.
but they are not finding anything wrong with it at the moment which is very puzzling

They haven't actually tested anything as far as I can tell from the information you have provided. All they have done is plug it in and play music. No chance would I be accepting it back. Get a refund and buy somewhere else. After reading this thread I certainly wouldn't consider purchasing from this retailer. It's £4k!!! not a £200 amp. If I pay 4k for an amp i'd expect top dollar service, they are messing you about. This is not something I'd be prepared to tolerate. There are a lot of good dealers out there who provide top drawer service and you shouldn't have to put up with this nonsense.
your right they are not engineers just salesman hooking up the amplifier in there demo room waiting for the fault to happen

Tonestar1

Bottom line is you are not happy and you still legally have the right to cancel . If the company don't make an effort to apease your concerns (they have tested f! all) and provide you with a new amp then cancel. I'm honestly shocked at how bad they have been so far so I won't be dealing with them at any time soon. They had an opportunity for this to be a good news story and for a lot of people on here to look at their site. No chance now.

Tonestar1

drummerman said:
Talking about creating Angst.

Why don't we all hold breath till next week?

You've just paid 4K for an amp. Why would you hold off and even tolerate the chance they will send you it back. No testing done, no customer service, no belief that the customer has had a problem so spend two days trying to disprove the issue. Why would you possibly want to deal with a company with that attitude when you are dropping 4K on an amp?

Tonestar1

Macspur said:
I think people are just trying to avert BS from making a big mistake by taking the amp back... he's obviously a nice guy and we're concerned he maybe being taken for a ride by this dealer.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Exactly! The guy has just splashed out on a 4k amp which has faiiled twice on day one.... The ball is in his court right now. I{f he accepts it back and there are further problems down the line they will just continue to try to repair. I wouldn't take the chance, get a new one or shop elsewhere. Unfortunatley its not a local dealer and he has bought online. No chance he would be dealing with this turmoil if he had a local dealer.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
So far, I don't think the dealer has done much wrong.

They have taken the amp back, kept in contact with the OP and have wisely tested it for themselves. If they can find nothing wrong with it, then it's hard to justify sending it back to Yamaha.

It is imo premature to slag off the dealer.

Let's wait and see how this plays out.

Tonestar1

CnoEvil said:

They have taken the amp back, kept in contact with the OP and have wisely tested it for themselves. If they can find nothing wrong with it, then it's hard to justify sending it back.

They haven't wisely tested anything. All they have done is plug it in and been unable to recreate the issue.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
CnoEvil said:

They have taken the amp back, kept in contact with the OP and have wisely tested it for themselves. If they can find nothing wrong with it, then it's hard to justify sending it back.

They haven't wisely tested anything. All they have done is plug it in and been unable to recreate the issue.

They have tested it, in the sense of trying to replicate the fault. If the amp behaves faultlessly with them for a day or 2, BS will have to make a decision.

I would advise BS to look after his own interests - politely at first. That doesn't mean that I think the dealer has done anything wrong up to this point.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

They have taken the amp back, kept in contact with the OP and have wisely tested it for themselves. If they can find nothing wrong with it, then it's hard to justify sending it back to Yamaha.

No slagging off intended from this quarter in particular, but they're communications so far haven't been that reassuring, thus understandably causing BS some anxiety.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Tonestar1

CnoEvil said:
Tonestar1 said:
CnoEvil said:

They have tested it, in the sense of trying to replicate the fault. If the amp behaves faultlessly with them for a day or 2, BS will have to make a decision.

I would advise BS to look after his own interests - politely at first. That doesn't mean that I think the dealer has done anything wrong up to this point.

Testing involves taking the cover off putting a meter on and checking if everyting is ok. All they have done is switch it on and play some music through it. That isn't testing. Is that really all one should accept aftfer splashing out 4k on an amp of a lifetime that fails twice on day one.... I dont think so.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
Testing involves taking the cover off putting a meter on and checking if everyting is ok. All they have done is switch it on and play some music through it. That isn't testing. Is that really all one should accept aftfer splashing out 4k on an amp of a lifetime that fails twice on day one.... I dont think so.

There are 2 perspectives here.

From the BS's position, I have already advised that he cancels the order, while he can.

From the dealer's perspective, they have sold an amp that they have been informed keeps cutting out. They bring it back and cannot replicate the fault. If they send it back in apparent working order, they may be left out of pocket, if Yamaha also can't find the fault.

So far, I believe the dealer to have acted in a reasonable manner.

It is the difficulty/uncertainty of the situation that led me to the conclusion that BS should simply cancel the whole thing, before it gets messier.

Tonestar1

CnoEvil said:
Tonestar1 said:

There are 2 perspectives here.

From the BS's position, I have already advised that he cancels the order, while he can.

From the dealer's perspective, they have sold an amp that they have been informed keeps cutting out. They bring it back and cannot replicate the fault. If they send it back in apparent working order, they may be left out of pocket, if Yamaha also can't find the fault.

So far, I believe the dealer to have acted in a reasonable manner.

It is the difficulty of the situation that led me to the conclusion that BS should simply cancel the whole thing, before it gets messier.

Whilst it may be reasonable, I don't think it shouts out awesome customer service, which i think should be a given if you spend 4k on an amp. I wouldn't expect mediocre or within the sellers rights type of behavioer. If BS had a regular local dealer I don't think this situation would have occurred. I agree with your final statement, cancel the order. Much rather deal with local dealer who cares about your custom rather than an faceless online entity who questions the experience and problems with the product.

D

Deleted member 108165

JamesMellor said:
I've just read the owners manual for this amp, nowhere can I see a caution about it being delivered in cold weather.

The amp was installed as per manufactures instructions so get off the cold van idea. Its faulty out of the box he is entitled to a new one.

Doubt you'll find any cold weather intsructions in any amps user manual.

Moisture build-up is purely guesswork on my part, but may I ask if you wear glasses? Play a 4 hour round of golf with specs on in sub-zero temperatures then go to the nice warm clubhouse for a cuppa. Another example would be riding a motorcycle with the visor fully closed in cold weather. In both these instances you cannot see through the fog that develops. This amp had been is sub-zero temperatures for the best part of 24hrs.

This aside, if the cold van has caused the problem my concern would be that maybe moisture has created a fault that is difficult to diagnose and may just rear its ugly head again sometime in the future. Would I trust this amp if it were returned to me? Nope!

At the end of the day it's Sabbaths money so he has the final word, all we can offer is advice and moral support.

Tonestar1

As per title is anyone of the opinion BS should accpet the amp being sent back? Unless I am mistaken everyone would refuse it and demand a new amp or a refund. BS, please take this advice, lots of experience behind these opinions.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

+1

It's only fair to see if they offer a refund or a replacement first. Just be aware that the clock is ticking regarding your legal rights if you want to get a refund.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts