I’ve been very bad boy and brought a Yamaha A-S3000

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
stereoman said:
With the great music respect towards Yamaha A-S2100 and 3000 in this price range I think I would rather only focus and invest in great Accuphase amps. Listening some CDs on Accu was the most pleasurable experience for me

Though I admit that those Yammies kick ass too.
The Accuphase is in the same ballpark as the Yamaha A-S3000 but cheaper then Accuphase is as i would of at to pay out a lot more money for a Accuphase the same with luxman

Not quite Black. Accuphase amps are 100% made in Japan with almost surgical precision. The fact that your 2100 which is already not cheap has gone wrong is the proof of some quality issues ? Also, Accuphase are extremely engaging amps that is from first buyers who say - once Accuphase , forever Accuphase. I could agree...really they sing. But again I understand your Yammie addiction.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
stereoman said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
stereoman said:
With the great music respect towards Yamaha A-S2100 and 3000 in this price range I think I would rather only focus and invest in great Accuphase amps. Listening some CDs on Accu was the most pleasurable experience for me

The Accuphase is in the same ballpark as the Yamaha A-S3000 but cheaper then Accuphase is as i would of at to pay out a lot more money for a Accuphase the same with luxman

Not quite Black. Accuphase amps are 100% made in Japan with almost surgical precision. The fact that your 2100 which is already not cheap has gone wrong is the proof is some quality issues ? Also, Accuphase are extremely engaging amps that is from first buyers who say - once Accuphase , forever Accuphase. I could agree...really they sing. But again I understand your Yammie addiction.
all of the parts inside the Yamaha A-S3000 are from Japan and design in Japan but made in marlysa

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
stereoman said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
stereoman said:

Not quite Black. Accuphase amps are 100% made in Japan with almost surgical precision. The fact that your 2100 which is already not cheap has gone wrong is the proof is some quality issues ? Also, Accuphase are extremely engaging amps that is from first buyers who say - once Accuphase , forever Accuphase. I could agree...really they sing. But again I understand your Yammie addiction.
all of the parts inside the Yamaha A-S3000 are from Japan and design in Japan but made in marlysa

As frustrating as it is, it's probably a good thing that it's gone again so soon... Personally I would have been reluctant to keep a piece of kit that went wrong straight out of the box regardless of weather conditions, particularly baring in mind the previous issue you had with the AS2100.

Fingers crossed with the replacement.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

D

Deleted member 108165

Don't persevere with it Sabbath, send it back for a replacement. Definitely sounds like a bit of lemon, an expensive one at that. You deserve top-drawer performance for that price.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
So my observations today with the Yamaha A-S3000 is that the difference between the A-S3000 and Yamaha A-S2100 is the build is different I would say higher quality build .

you get the same wood sides in gloss black and the lid on the A-S3000 is aluminium 6mm but the A-S2100 is a steel lid then the front panel is thick aluminium with aluminium switch’s and dial’s front UVs are obviously bigger on the A-S3000 then the A-S2100 UVs and the glass seems better on the A-S3000 then the A-S2100 .

rear of the A-S3000 is well laid out the difference on the back is the extra XLR inputs and bigger gold plated speaker terminals which fit my banana plugs better then the A-S2100s terminals as the plugs didn’t go all the way in .

there some odd switches on the back for setting the amplifier into standby mode which are proper toggle switches and the same for adjusting the XLR inputs .

the layout seems better thought about on the back of the A-S3000 then the A-S2100 back panel and the amplifier it’s self is the same dimensions as the A-S2100 except the A-S3000 is a bit higher about 10mm higher and a lot heavier amplifier .

you get the same remote control as you do with the A-S2100 .

i can’t go into sound yet as the problems I am having with the A-S3000 but what I have heard so far when it was working is good but different from the A-S2100 sound much bigger bolder sounding like I thought it would be that’s down to the power supply I reckon but the instruments seem more separated and a bit more detail is coming out as well as better midrange and top end .

but this is only using the amplifier for 3 hours max before issues started to happen but think when I do get the replacement one next week and put some hours on the clock I reckon the Yamaha A-S3000 will sound good .

i will add more about how it sounds ones ive got the replacement and add some hours to the amplifier before I make my judgment on the A-S3000 but apart from my troubles today I think I’ve made the right choice in buying the A-S3000 .

D

Deleted member 108165

Coming from a different angle here Sabbath. I know you didn't get much time with the amp but was it enough to objectively evalualte it over the 2100? This is over three times more expensive than your current amp so if the outlay doesn't justify the end, with a significant leap in performance, then this could be an opportunity to withdraw from the deal, with a chance to rethink your purchase strategy/direction for the future. My 2p's worth.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Coming from a different angle here Sabbath. I know you didn't get much time with the amp but was it enough to objectively evalualte it over the 2100? This is over three times more expensive than your current amp so if the outlay doesn't justify the end, with a significant leap in performance, then this could be an opportunity to withdraw from the deal, with a chance to rethink your purchase strategy/direction for the future. My 2p's worth.
I get where your coming from Doug

i do think it’s worth the extra money it does have a much bigger sound then the A-S2100 what I have heard of it today the A-S3000 is a different beast it’s just bad luck I’ve ended with a amplifier that is faulty that’s all .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DougK said:
This is over three times more expensive than your current amp so if the outlay doesn't justify the end

I think it's twice the price (full retail).

Personally I would like to have compared with an A49, given the price it's going at....and used the 2k saving to buy a Linn Majik DS. *diablo*

D

Deleted member 108165

CnoEvil said:
DougK said:
This is over three times more expensive than your current amp so if the outlay doesn't justify the end

Personally I would like to have compared with an A49, given the price it's going at....and used the 2k saving to buy a Linn Majik DS. *diablo*

Agreed at full RRP, but Sabbath got his 2100 for a steal at c£1200.

D

Deleted member 108165

Not dissin' the Yam amp by any means at all but was very surprised to see that both amps are made in Malaysia. Strange when you consider that most of the high-end Japanese brands reference-range amps are made on home turf, in Japan.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
CnoEvil said:
DougK said:

Agreed at full RRP, but Sabbath got his 2100 for a steal at c£1200.
trouble is what ever amplifier you buy you can get a dud one I mean I do not no how the A-S3000 was handled in transit because when I went to the van to help the chap picking it up the box was at the front of the van not flat but on a angle nearly on end like it was chucked there .

so something inside the amplifier could of come lose

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Not dissin' the Yam amp by any means at all but was very surprised to see that both amps are made in Malaysia. Strange when you consider that most of the high-end Japanese brands reference-range amps are made on home turf, in Japan.
all of the parts are from Japan and design but made in Malaysia

D

Deleted member 108165

Blacksabbath25 said:
DougK said:

Beats Marantz mate: PM6004 made in Japan, PM6005 made in China, PM6006 made in Vietnam! I can see a steady pattern developing here *biggrin*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
DougK said:

Beats Marantz mate: PM6004 made in Japan, PM6005 made in China, PM6006 made in Vietnam! I can see a steady pattern developing here *biggrin*
yes I’ve noticed a lot of the Marantz amplifiers are not made in Japan anymore except the ken specials

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
emcc_3 said:
Really disappointed for you. Was looking forward to hearing your opinion of the top of the range Yamaha given I have an as500 in my second system.
thanks it will get sorted Yamaha make some good amplifiers and it doesn’t matter what amplifier you buy there will always be a faulty one

it is very disappointing but at lest I kept my Yamaha A-S2100 to fall back on an till I get a replacement next week .

insider9

Sorry to hear that. It's probably for the better. I'd want it to work from the first switch on with no issues otherwise I'd be wondering when it's going to go. It's an amp you may be keeping for like so it's better be perfect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts