hypothetical question

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
If the Pathos Logos and Unison research S8 were the only 2 amps which existed, and you had the choice of either of these amps for exactly the same price, and you were not at all interested in reselling them, which would you go for and why?

I have found them at, what in the world of high end, are decent prices at about £1600 from the US. I have heard the unico, but not the single enfed valves, and have no experience of listening to the Pathos. Obviously the the Pathos Logos is a tube/ss hybrid amp, whilst the S8 is a single-ended pure triode, directly-heated tube design, using the 845 valve. The S8 on paper produces a lot less power, but SET amps are never cheap for their sound characteristics.

Cheers

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I could stretch to either. I will be streaming the music in apple lossless using an sb+, because I personally think streaming is the future with the sq now achievable, and don't want CDs cluttering my lounge.

Thanks

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I've just made an offer on the S8. I don't know yet if I'm totally mad! I'll wait to see what response I get! I decided the pure triode nature of this amp is probably worth paying for, although I do have a real fascination with this amplifier and kind of decided 'what the heck'.

Graaf's sound great but I never see them come up s/h! I'm aware that I could get an icon audo valve amp for way less than the Unison, so don't know whether I should be trying to look out for other makes which I've heard less about, and are British designed but produced in china to his specs, to allow for much lower production costs. I am not expecting the offer to be accepted though, because the RRP for the S8 is so high in the UK (I guess largely due to our crippled exhange rate with the Euro) that they can justify charging much more because of restricted competition!

A

Anonymous

I've never heard the Pathos but I would just have the S8 anyway! Superb amp. With the right source and speakers you'll swear the singer is right in front of you.

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I hope the Sb+ is the right source! I am asking the buyer about the compatibility with UK mains. I have seen so many different deals arise from different cd players with big reductions, but would really like a network based player feeding the tube amp!

Arcam cd players seem to go for very good prices second and I think something like the FMJ cd36 would probably complement the Unison if I don't get on with the sb+.

Are the transformers and AC cables not designed for 230v power in the US?

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I need to decide between 3 options. I have decided not to change my amp before changing my source now.

1) Streaming device + external DAC

Sb3 or duet with benchmark dac1 or chord dac 64 s/h

2) The at-tunes SB+ (a regutted audiophile-class squeezebox comprising 2 boxes with separate PSU and DAC (which I think is equal to the sb3 as a transport into the benchmark dac). These are only available new, and for £1 grand. I'm ordering one today so will try and compare to some of the other options listed when it arrives.

3) Wadia itransport + external DAC

The chord rep told me that there's no point modding a wadia transport if using the 4 sec buffer mode on the DAC 64. Therefore, for roughly the same price, I have 2 options

wadia itransport + chord 64

modfiied itransport + benchmark

The thing is, I don't think the squeezebox duet even as a transport would do any other DAC than the dac64 justice, and I think it would place a limit on sq.

Owners of the sb+ on other forums have said it is only very slightly inferior to the linn majik ds and a noticable step up from the sneaky, which most people believe presents a more natural sound than the logitech transporter anyway.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the options I've listed?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts