Hush Media PCs

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks gents. Yes, as much as i like the idea that i could unplug the ipod and play with playlists etc, and have itunes to do all that stuff too, it would have to charge it as its docked, and have the right connections for the tv and amp/dac perhaps, and it seems pricey. So now im thinking 1 - Stick with a pc 2 - Apple TV 3 - Apple Mac Mini 4 - Stick with a pc again, but get one made that can run with minimal spec and software, in a small quiet enclosure. I would download onto it whatever i needed to run flac files, but id use my main pc for ripping/tagging with eac, then use an external hdd to take the songs over to the music pc. In other words, id use it entirely for organising a library, and playback. No networking of any kind involved. tempted by that if i can think it thru and make it work A mate has a ps3 wth music on, and i like the interfave, but i think it may be, as f0g said in another thread, overkill.

John Duncan

[quote user="al7478"]4 - Stick with a pc again, but get one made that can run with minimal spec and software, in a small quiet enclosure. I would download onto it whatever i needed to run flac files, but id use my main pc for ripping/tagging with eac, then use an external hdd to take the songs over to the music pc. In other words, id use it entirely for organising a library, and playback. No networking of any kind involved. tempted by that if i can think it thru and make it work[/quote]
Does this still need a video interface to the telly?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="al7478"]4 - Stick with a pc again, but get one made that can run with minimal spec and software, in a small quiet enclosure. I would download onto it whatever i needed to run flac files, but id use my main pc for ripping/tagging with eac, then use an external hdd to take the songs over to the music pc. In other words, id use it entirely for organising a library, and playback. No networking of any kind involved. tempted by that if i can think it thru and make it work[/quote]
Does this still need a video interface to the telly?[/quote]

Yes.

John Duncan

[quote user="al7478"][quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="al7478"]4 - Stick with a pc again, but get one made that can run with minimal spec and software, in a small quiet enclosure. I would download onto it whatever i needed to run flac files, but id use my main pc for ripping/tagging with eac, then use an external hdd to take the songs over to the music pc. In other words, id use it entirely for organising a library, and playback. No networking of any kind involved. tempted by that if i can think it thru and make it work[/quote]

Does this still need a video interface to the telly?[/quote]

Yes.
[/quote]

Sounds like an Apple TV to me.
emotion-2.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"](except for the flac bit)[/quote]

Could that be done with no networking involved then...? Could i get the right connections in a small custom made pc...? EDIT I think the answer to the second question is no, as it has to sync with itunes which would be on my main pc, but if anyone knows different? EDIT 2 - EIGHT PAGES! Sorry.

John Duncan

Yeah, initially - hook the @tv and the pc together with ethernet cable, sync, done. Though not flac, only apple lossless (in lossless formats)

And yes, absolutely, though you may be limited (or perhaps even stuffed) in terms of quality sound cards fitting in a small footprint PC case.

John Duncan

[quote user="al7478"]EDIT I think the answer to the second question is no, as it has to sync with itunes which would be on my main pc, but if anyone knows different?[/quote]Not no networking *ever*, but you could do it just the once then it can stand alone. But that'll be the case with anything (though more likely usb with a pc/external HDD, obv)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Yeah, initially - hook the @tv and the pc together with ethernet cable, sync, done. Though not flac, only apple lossless (in lossless formats)

And yes, absolutely, though you may be limited (or perhaps even stuffed) in terms of quality sound cards fitting in a small footprint PC case.[/quote]

It would need to connect by ethernet again whenever i got new music tho wouldnt it? I could rip stuff then trsnsfer it over by usb, but to add it to a particular playlist, id need to network again. Sorry, i know i keep on about playlists, but...loads of songs that sound good together at the touch (or 3) of a button... by the end of this week the pc shop will have let me know about upgrading my current pc, and ill ask them then about another pc just for music instead. an imac with all track info and playlists done manually would be good, but i think its expensive and overkill. Plus, if i insisted on flac (which i dont really, but itd be great) id have to just connect it to the net to get the flac software to make it run.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"] And yes, absolutely, though you may be limited (or perhaps even stuffed) in terms of quality sound cards fitting in a small footprint PC case.[/quote]

Interesting point. Bit of a side issue, but everyone says apple stuff sounds good, so i assume it would be necassary to get a good sound card in 'em, but thyre very small. So do they just have better on board sound, and if so, how so...?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts