How / why does a boiler starting interfer with our TV signal??

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Bit of a random one but I'm having problems with the digital TV signal running into our new Philips 32PFL9632D.

The set up in our flat means that the TV is positioned about 8m away from the TV aerial point. I previously measured the digital signal strength as: quality 75%, strength 50% on the better channels (to increase the weaker channels I've started to use a signal booster).

I'm now running a short cable into a signal booster and then a 10m cable out to the TV (the cables are both very cheap and basic). Our boiler is positioned on the other side of a thin wall where the aerial socket & the TV cable run past to get to the TV.

I've noticed that when the boiler starts, by clicking on and off, a line of digital interference runs across the screen when watching SD. This was made even worse the other night when a power shower was running upstairs and I had to switch off the TV as the picture distintegrated into a blocky, digital mess.

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what they have done about it?

Questions:
1. Will upgrading the TV aerial cable make any difference, e.g. better insulation etc?
2. Will adding another TV aerial socket away from the boiler be worthwhile, i.e. at a guestimated cost of £150?
3. Should I just take the plunge and buy Sky HD (which I'm considering anyway to do the TV justice) and will the problem go away using a stronger / different type of signal?

Matt_B

Oct 29, 2007
Visit site
The joys of freeview and the fact that the technology is actually prone to all electrical interference including cars driving past your house or street lamps for some poor unfortunate people.

take a look on here --- (google electrical intereference and freeview for lots more example websites)

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/freeview_problems.htm near the bottom its got the bit about boilers --- i'm in a brand new house and mine does the same thing and the boiler/thermostat are no where near the tv its just the way the wiring runs.

I had a friend whose wifes hairdryer destroyed their freeview picture -- this was tracked to a faulty earth on the hairdryer.

have a read around to see if its worth doing any of your above suggestions.

I got the builders back in to check all the earths, sorted most of the issues bar the thermostat

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Matt. I've had a look on the website you suggested and it has a few good hints to try and identify the problem of interference (dimmer switches... hadn't even considered that!!)

Does anyone know if this interference would affect a Sky HD signal in the same way?

A

Anonymous

Hi

I live in an area surrounded by trees and when i had a freeview box with a booster in the loft i had problems with interference, mostly when lorries went past the window the signal just went nuts then it'd go back to normal, i put my aerial through a surge protecter extension block and the problem disappeared straightaway.

I now have Sky HD and have never had any issues at all

A

Anonymous

In the attic conversion in my house I have a Sony LCD tv with an indoor ariel, and the Freeview reception breaks up whenever a motorbike or scooter drives past on the road. I don't know why this happens, but it has happened enough thousands of times without fail for me to know that it is no coincidence...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Really bad weather is the only thing that seems to affect my Sky HD signal - get a storm and you can get some interference. Not surprising, really, when you consider how the signal's getting to you!

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Clare. Sounds like Sky HD could be a good bet to get the best possible picture (excluding stomy weather that is!!). Has anyone got any idea if Sky HD are considering making their pricing more competitive in light of the recent Freesat developments?

TRENDING THREADS