How What Hi-fi would....

...view your current bundles individually or as a complete system?

Amplifier: was 5 stars
Turntable: was 4 stars
CD Player: was 4 stars
Speakers: was 5 stars

I'm guessing they wouldn't give mine anymore than 3 stars, individual components (older ones) no more than 2 stars.

I'd find that an interesting exercise, against all new equivalents.

Reactions: AJM1981 and Symples

matthewpianist

Interesting question, and mine would be a car crash let's face it. I have today pulled the Rega Apollo-R out so there's a 5-star CD player, but goodness knows how the Sansui fared back in 1975!

I do also have the Cyrus ONE HD, Rega Brio-R and Denon PMA1600NE, but out of those three only the Rega has been awarded 5 stars.

The Linton 85s are a 5-star product and so is my Planar 2.

Dom

Amplifier: 5 stars
DAC: 3 stars
Speakers: 4 stars
Sub: Don't know
Its plugged into my PC so they would give it 2 stars most likely. Sigh, I mean, the PSU is a Seasonic Prime 750w Titanium and I use a QED optical cable! So, I have tried. Double sigh.

Last edited:

Friesiansam

Main headphones: 4 stars, DAC/headphone amp: they don't seem to have noticed it...

But really, I don't care, it's my ears that need to be happy and, they are. The PC that supplies the ones and zeros is pretty good. Built as a fast gaming PC, it does a fine job with no unwanted noises or hesitations in the data flow, so a 4 methinks.

D

Deleted member 195594

I don't think any of my components have been reviewed, can't find any 🤔. Nearest are the Triangle Comete non-Anniversary version, they get a 4. I suspect the 40th Anniversary wouldn't fare much better.

My Atoll I reckon may get a 4 - I think it would probably be compared against similar Naim and/or Exposure integrated amps, and come second to both, so probably a 4

My Innuos Zen mini mk3 I feel maybe the only 5 star award in my system if it had been reviewed at the time of launch.

NJC DAC - who knows 🤔😊

Gray

Amp: 5 stars (probably, as they liked Cyrus)

Speakers: 5 stars (after I bought mine).

Sources: Not sure whether they reviewed any Marantz CD6000 CDP variants (they must have done 🤔)

No current WHF reviewers had been born when I bought most of my sources.

As for my streamer, both DACs and headphone amp - all perfectly fine quality / value but, if you were relying on WHF, you wouldn't know they existed.

Last edited:

record_spot

No idea! Current setup:-

AVI ADM 9RSS actives - not reviewed from memory
Linn Kolektor preamp - 5 star
Modded Thorens TD160 - N/A
Kenwood DP-990SG CD player
JVC XL-V211 CD player
Cambridge Audio 752BD - 4 stars (they were drunk when they missed that fifth star)
Project Phono Box - don't know!

I'd guess around a 3 or 4 star review, but it's a real thrown together old thing. Bit like its owner!

No idea! Current setup:-

AVI ADM 9RSS actives - not reviewed from memory
Linn Kolektor preamp - 5 star
Modded Thorens TD160 - N/A
Kenwood DP-990SG CD player
JVC XL-V211 CD player
Cambridge Audio 752BD - 4 stars (they were drunk when they missed that fifth star)
Project Phono Box - don't know!

I'd guess around a 3 or 4 star review, but it's a real thrown together old thing. Bit like its owner!
Pretty sure Whfi reviewed AVI actives, can't remember what version. Seem to remember they were one of a few they had to buy. Clare Newsome said at the time they were going on Ebay to claw back some of the money. IIRC they received 5 stars.

Found it.

record_spot

Pretty sure Whfi reviewed AVI actives, can't remember what version. Seem to remember they were one of a few they had to buy. Clare Newsome said at the time they were going on Ebay to claw back some of the money. IIRC they received 5 stars.

Found it.

They did the ADM 9T I think (I thought it was 4 stars thanks to a lean bass, but might be wrong). Then AVI brought out the 9RS and later the RSS with a different tweeter then the ADM10 (and somewhere along the way was the ADM40 active floorstander but they came in at over £3000 a pair). Hard to keep up!

They did the ADM 9T I think (I thought it was 4 stars thanks to a lean bass, but might be wrong). Then AVI brought out the 9RS and later the RSS with a different tweeter then the ADM10 (and somewhere along the way was the ADM40 active floorstander but they came in at over £3000 a pair). Hard to keep up!
You could be correct. I couldn't find anything on the tinternet. Pretty sure old Ash wasn't too pleased, even if it meant good PR.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I only have 2 items what hi fi have reviewed a chord qutest, think it got a 5 star review. And a NAD c540 think that also got a 5 star review 20 years again

me sugden a21 sig doesn’t really have any reviews any where but absolute love it. And my klipsch heresy 3s are marmite. Some love others hate. I love marmite.

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
I prefer Bovril myself but I do have Marantz kit so I guess I do have some marmite in the house :)
I was introduced to Bovril by my uncle while watching MK Dons vs Ipswich last season. Hadn’t got a clue what it was and he ordered a Bovril drink at half time. Beef in a drink I said - blimey! Wouldn’t try it myself. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts