How to view pics/videos from NAS on PS3 and IPad

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Have music, pictures and videos stored on my NAS drive, my Sonos system plays the music from my NAS fine.

I have tried to view my pictures and videos on my TV in my living room through my PS3 or on my IPad but can't view anything.

My PS3 see's the NAS drive but when I go into the pictures or videos folder there's nothing there? Any ideas?

And how would I go about viewing them on my IPad?

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
A couple of potential solutions:

1. Make sure that you select appropriate tabs on PS3 X-bar for viewing pics/vids etc. I still make an occasional mistake and try look at the pics while I'm still 'inside' the music tab. Pics and vids folders will show as available but will be empty (as there are no music files in those folders - get it?;) ).

2. If your NAS is not pemanently on, it may take around 10-15 minutes from powering it up for PS3 to 'see' the picture and video folders so you may just need to be more patient.

EDIT Sorry, can't help with the iPad question.

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
I tried what you said but still same. Did you have much of a set up on your Linkstation to get it to stream to your PS3?

I've had my Linkstation (LS-CHL, I think it is) for a while and originally set it up for my Sonos system which works fine.

I just added the folders named Pictures and Videos the other week to try and stream to my PS3. As I said the PS3 sees the NAS, when I select the NAS the 3 folders Music, Pictures and Videos there's nothing there, if I do the same on my PC all the music files, picture files and video files are there. Am I doing something silly?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
brianmcr said:
I also tried the options button (triangle button) and display all but display all isn't a selection??

Hmm, if you've put your pictures in a Pictures folder, I think they should show by default. I remembered the trick of using Display All to see pictures / music / videos outside of the designated folders from a while back so I tried this earlier with a USB stick where there were just photos on the root of the drive and couldn't see them normally. However, when the USB stick was highlighted, pressing the triangle button and selecting Display All then showed them up so thought it was worth a go. I haven't tried with my NAS but will see if I can set this up some time over the weekend and try it on this.

What format are your pictures in? I was using JPEGs.

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, mine are JPEGs also, not sure if it's something I need to do on my Buffalo Linkstation but all the files in my Music folder is seen by my Sonos system ok but the PS3 doesn't see the files in the Music folder along with the files in the Pictures and Videos folders. I also have a folder called Share on the NAS (which I didn't create) which doesn't have anything inside it and the PS3 doesn't even see the Share folder? Not sure why? I'll try putting some files in the Share folder and see what happens.

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, mine are JPEGs also, not sure if it's something I need to do on my Buffalo Linkstation but all the files in my Music folder is seen by my Sonos system ok but the PS3 doesn't see the files in the Music folder along with the files in the Pictures and Videos folders. I also have a folder called Share on the NAS (which I didn't create) which doesn't have anything inside it and the PS3 doesn't even see the Share folder? Not sure why? I'll try putting some files in the Share folder and see what happens.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, my (very old) Buffalo Terastation is also showing the Pictures, Music and Video folders being available on the Terastation when I look at it from the PS3, but these folders don't even exist on my Terastation. I think this must be something to do with the Buffalo software itself and the way it's presenting itself to the PS3 which doesn't add up with what actually exists. I'm going to do some investigation, but am out all day today so won't be till tomorrow.

Will let you know if I get anywhere!

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
I have managed to view pictures on the PS3, went into the the settings for the Buffalo Linkstation, in Extensions / MediaServer then Modify Settings I changed the media server folder option from share to Photos, tried viewing the folder Photos on my PS3 and all my pictures are there. This is good but that's the only folders files I can view, for instance the files inside the Video folder on the NAS I still can't see on the PS3 unless I go into the media server folder option again and select the folder Video, I can then see my video files on the PS3 but not the files inside the Photos folder, if you get what I mean.

I have 5 Shared Folders on my NAS (Shared Folders / Folder Setup), info and shared were already on my NAS and 3 that I've created Music, Photos and Video (just so happens these are the same as the 3 folders on my PS3).

If I copy all my pictures and video files into the share folder and then select the share folder in the media server folder option my PS3 still doesn't see the files??? It only sees the files in 1 of the 3 folders I've created myself depending on which one I select in the media folder option??? Looks like I'll just need to create a folder called Media Server and dump all my video and JPEG folders/files in there and then select the new folder called Media Server in the NAS's media folder option. I don't need to dump all my music files in there as I play my music through my Sonos. No idea why it wont see the files in the share folder, checked the set up of this folder and exactly the same as the 3 folders I created, created them a while ago but pretty sure I copied the share folder at the time and renamed it each time. I'll let you know how I get on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts