How to remove capsules from headband of HD250 Linear

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
My old Sennheiser HD250 Linear headphones have finally died for good and are deemed irreparable. I have since purchased a really clean pair of HD250 Linear II with which I'm delighted.

Sennheiser can still supply capsules for the Linear II (but not the Linear I), so I got to thinking that maybe I could utilise the headband from my defunct pair, pop on a pair of Linear II capsules, plug in the new cable (that I'd already purchased a month before the original cans died on me) and I'll be good to go, with a spare set of headphones at my disposal.

So much depends on how to remove the capsules from the headband. There's plenty of movement around the join, which is how the cans accommodate different head shapes, but it's not obvious how to remove them without breaking anything!

Can anybody offer help or advice on this specific issue, please?

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Further to my post I thought (if anyone's interested) that I'd update things by saying that, with a little advice from the Sennheiser technical department over the phone, I managed to remove both capsules from the headband without causing any damage. The moulding of the outer case of the capsule includes a little ball which locates in a matching socket in the headband. It's a pretty firm fit but a little light leverage achieved the desired effect.

I have now ordered two new Linear II capsules from Sennheiser which, with the new Sennheiser cable that I'd purchased only a few months before my original HD250s packed up, will result in a more or less brand new set of HD250 Linear II headphones for about £150. I shall keep them as a spare set for the time being, although that could be a while as the pair I bought off eBay are in nearly new condition and sound wonderful.

Gray

I remember yanking a ball from a socket on another of their models. Wasn't sure I was doing the right thing as it required too much force for my liking, but it was meant to be, as you found.

Glad your 250s are going to be OK - saved from the dustbin, that's what I like to hear.

*I say they live to see another day, but with new capsules and a new lead, it's almost like the Trigger's broom scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUl6PooveJE

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts