How to network your iTunes with an Lg NAS?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Great video.

But I have discovered with my Lg NAS, which is an iTunes server and DNLA, and hard wired through the router to a Pioneer LX83, that there is another issue.

Cds that have been put on iTunes play ok. But anything downloaded from iTunes and therefore a protected file (even though you own it) will not play.

I thought this would be a good way of avoiding having to put everything on an iPod to then have to plug it into the receiver.

Any ideas/help for a non literate pc user? Till this is solved DNLA is wasted.

A

Anonymous

Sorry just realised I've put this in the wrong place and should have posted in Networks lol

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
As far as I know iTunes is not DLNA compatible. Or you should use iTunes instead of DLNA.

But you need iTunes to be running on a computer, so it won't play directly from your NAS. I still don't understand the point of an iTunes server. I saved some money and bought an external HDD instead.

You don't need an iPod, but you would need to get an Airport Express, which will receive music from iTunes (which is running on your computer), and connect it to your Pioneer. You did't mention if you have wi-fi though.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's not iTunes that's DLNA compatible, it's the NAS. So the NAS is presenting any MP3s stored on it to the receiver. However, there's no way of getting this to play protected files - are you able to re-download the songs you purchased under iTunes Plus as DRM free copies? This would solve the issue.

If not, the only solution has axman has mentioned would be using an Airport Express connected into your Pioneer receiver, with music streaming to this from iTunes i.e. your PC / Mac would need to be switched on for this to work. You don't need existing wi-fi for this, Airport Express can either work across ethernet if you're fully wired, or it can create a wireless network to stream the music if necessary. If you already have a wireless network of course, you can just configure it to use this instead.

A

Anonymous

iTunes will run from the NAS without the PC being turned on. My own CDs that I've uploaded to iTunes play fine through the HMG on the receiver.

But thanks to "Professorhat" I think I need to explore iTunes Plus to remove the protected module of anything I download. In which case it looks like it should work. Brilliant.

I was hoping I'd also be able to download music from the B&W site and put it on the NAS......but that doesn't work. I can save the files to the NAS but the receiver can't see them even in the 16 bit ALC format. So no point in joining that when my free trial runs out. Unless anyone has a solution?

Yes I've got a wireless network as well. The Pioneer LX83 had to be hard wired as no wireless ability.

A

Anonymous

Well did as you suggested "Professorhat" and yes it works!!!!

So now anything I download from iTunes (which isn't that much as I still prefer buying CDs, but there may come a time when CDs are no longer available) can be put on the NAS and played on the Hifi.

But it won't work with any music from B&W. So I don't think I'll bother with that and save myself an annual membership fee.

Thanks for your help

PS. Both Pioneer and Lg were superb when it came to ironing out a couple of niggles in my set up. Really good customer service.

A

Anonymous

I had a few older albums downloaded from iTunes with Protection and they wouldn't play through Sonos.

Simple fix:

Copy the protected album to CD-RW.

Re-Import to iTunes.

Now unprotected.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Marnie:Well did as you suggested "Professorhat" and yes it works!!!!

Good stuff!

stan007:

I had a few older albums downloaded from iTunes with Protection and they wouldn't play through Sonos.

Simple fix:

Copy the protected album to CD-RW.

Re-Import to iTunes.

Now unprotected.

Yup that works, but I've found you lose some quality on the copy / re-import process.

A

Anonymous

Do Apple not let u replace a drm'ed song with a non-drm version now that their stuff is drm-free anyway?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
TechMad:Do Apple not let u replace a drm'ed song with a non-drm version now that their stuff is drm-free anyway?
Erm... yes... through iTunes Plus - this is what has fixed the issue for the OP.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts