How to improve film dialogs on my stereo system?

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I am looking for the way to improve film dialogs on my stereo system. I am more than happy when I play CD’s or stream music but when I watch films I am still not 100% happy with dialog’s sound. It seems to be slightly lower volume compare to the background noise.

I have tried different speaker positions/towing and BD audio set up with no more than little improvements. Any suggestions?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a very imperfect solution, and a centre speaker would be preferable, but one thing you can do is use the speakers in your TV to reinforce the sound from the hi-fi speakers.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep.... Use the speakers in the tv - as your centre speaker.

matt49 said:
I know this is a very imperfect solution, and a centre speaker would be preferable, but one thing you can do is use the speakers in your TV to reinforce the sound from the hi-fi speakers.

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the responce ... I was affraid that this might be the only solution. I have tried to leave tv speakers on as well but it sounds just wrong. To add center, which would be close to 900 EUR for B&W cmc2 is quite a lot ... not talking about AV receiver.

scene

When you say it "sounds just wrong" is this because the sound coming out of the TV spreadsheets is out of synch with what's coming out of your stereo, which can be quite jarring?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you have your player set to stereo or surround?

Try setting it to stereo/pcm downmix if it's set to surround.

The guys in the home theatre forums may be of more help.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Have you connected your blurayplayer to your receiver with analogue interconnects or with digital optical cable? The question is whether you use the dac of your blurayplayer or the dac in your receiver. I used to have a Denon surround receiver. I wasn't too pleased with the sound through the HDMI connection. Subsequently I connected my blurayplayer to my receiver with analogue interconnects and the result was a less bloated sound, much more natural.

I now have a Marantz PM7004 in my living room, so analogue stereo is my only option. Although my speakers are postioned way too far apart I still experience a convincing dialogue when playing dvd's or blurays.

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been there...

I had stereo setup that was really great for music, but never good for movis and TV. When watching movies dialogue was to low and vocals were pushed back and in order to hear something I had to increase the volume and them when explosion came - whole room shaked.. so I was constantly with remote in my hand.

Anyway, movies have the same importance to me as music, so I sold my stereo setup (center of the same series of LR speakers was too expensive for me) and bought AVR, center and smaller floorstanders and sub. I had to go for one series below (684 s2) compared to buying only floorstanders (would go for CM) in order to close the budget.

I am afraid that you cant do anything. Enjoy your music and bare with movies. Or buy center of the same series and AVR, there are no other options if you want to keep your speakers.

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Peter: I conected all sources through digital interconects

JohnKK: I realy do not want to get rid of speakers as I got them only two weeks ago and I love the sound, quess I'll have to go for AV and Center.

Any suggestion for AV? I do not expect to be same performer as my Rotel amp but do not want too much different sound.(don't mind used one) AV has to have pre out so I can use my current amp as power amp for FL a FR. I will use my old floorstanders Magnat Victory 6 GBE for surrounds.

Anybody has a good tip to get B&W cmc2 cheaply?

Cheers!

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
You'll probably find that modern films are the worst culprit for this kind of problem. Dialogue is recorded lower in the mix than the sound effects. There is a lot of dynamic range in films now. The idea is that the action really grabs your attention and it's more realistic for an explosion to be much louder than someone speaking.

Of course the reality is that in a domestic setting these effects can be over the top and annoying. I have a stereo amp which I use for films as well as music and whilst I don't quite share the problem as severely as you, it is very apparent to me that older films say pre 2000's have much less dynamic range than later stuff and the overall volume levels seem more even between speech and effects. Some films do just generally sound way better than others, much like different album masters can vary widely.

Ideally for movies now a full AV amp and relevant speakers is the only way to get the best from movie soundtracks.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
If you use an AV receiver for the amplifier you can set 2 stereo speakers up to play 3.0 audio using what is called a 'phantom centre speaker' mode.

One set up this way you can turn up the volume of the phantom centre speaker seperately to the left and right speakers. This has the effect of increasing the volume of just the dialogue separately to the rest of the sound effects.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
So Your speakers are brand new! Speakers need soms running in time before sounding their best. Might be a part of your problem. Do you also experience your problem when you switch to your old speakers?

And while you are at it why don't you give connecting through rca interconnects a try?

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
yes, same problem with old speakers. As you say it might be the way that films are recorded. Just played one of the old James Bond film and vocals are much better(still not perfect) Speaker's aren't run in properly yet ( about 100 hours).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Some players have an option to boost the dialogue when playing through a 2 speaker or 2.1 system. Maybe check if this is an option in your player's menus. (It may only work through a player's analogue audio outputs though.)

iMark

We have the TV in the middle of our stereo system. We have a PVR and Bluray player connected via HDMI to the TV. From there the signal path is:

TV -> optical cable -> DAC -> RCA cables -> stereo receiver

We have noticed with multichannel discs and Netflix in 5.1 that it is much better to choose 2.0 on the Bluray player and in Netflix rather than having the TV do a mixdown from 5.1 to 2.0. Dialogues sound fine to us. I would never use the TV's speakers as centre speakers.

Mods: You've been added to the trusted group. Try now?

I think it works now.

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi Steve,

If I buy second hand or lower end AV receiver/processor and use it only as preamplifier connected to my system(Rotel in power amp mode) will I be able to set “phantom centre speaker” to improve dialogs (vocals) in films? Or Is there any “universal” BD/CD player with possibility of sound settings that would solve my problem?

I have posted this question in another forum as well

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/phantom-centre-speaker

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have tried to change audio settings on my player but there is no option to improve dialogs. What brands of players do have such options and would it work If I would use digital connection or on analog only?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Other similar posts here also for 5.1 etc. I wonder why so many TV programs struggle with dialogue. I really think the broadcasters should address it. My solution - turn it up. Annoying. As an aside on Sky BBC seems quieter than others and recently I need to turn it up more than before.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
couple of pointers here that might help.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheateraudiobasics/qt/centerchannelqt.htm

The issues tend to happen because downmixing to stereo isn't great, or it's just mastered that way to keep it as it was in the cinema :(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts