How to connect it all up

goldycrest

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have the following;

Samsung UE55D8000 TV, Onkyo TX-NR609 AVR, Samsung BDD5500 BluRay & Humax Foxsat HDR and apart from the speaker connections,which are obvious, what is the best way to connect all the audio/video ouputs/inputs? Will HDMI connections suffice or do I need to connect using optical audio cables as well?

Any help will be appreciated and a connection drawing would be great.

Many thanks

daveh75

goldycrest said:
I have the following;

Samsung UE55D8000 TV, Onkyo TX-NR609 AVR, Samsung BDD5500 BluRay & Humax Foxsat HDR and apart from the speaker connections,which are obvious, what is the best way to connect all the audio/video ouputs/inputs? Will HDMI connections suffice or do I need to connect using optical audio cables as well?

Any help will be appreciated and a connection drawing would be great.

Many thanks

HDMI from Humax HDR* (unlike Sky boxes it can output DD 5.1 over HDMI) and Samsung BDP to Onkyo, then HDMI from Onkyo to TV.

* Though if you don't intend using your A/V amp every time you watch TV, i.e just using it for movies/sport and not general viewing you maybe better off connecting the Humax directly to your TV with HDMI and using optical to connect it to your Onkyo

A

Anonymous

What about the Audio Return Channel on the Amp/TV (changing setting to "through" / ARC - ON)?

Farily similar set up to mine, and I've been wondering what the benifits of only using the amp for movies/sport? Obviously the energy saving, but whilst set to "through" the amp appears to stay on constantly and heats up whilst not in use. Or is it to extend the life of the amp? Or both?? Or is this why you didn't suggest using the ARC and connecting directly from Humax to TV?

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Godriah said:
What about the Audio Return Channel on the Amp/TV (changing setting to "through" / ARC - ON)?

Farily similar set up to mine, and I've been wondering what the benifits of only using the amp for movies/sport? Obviously the energy saving, but whilst set to "through" the amp appears to stay on constantly and heats up whilst not in use. Or is it to extend the life of the amp? Or both?? Or is this why you didn't suggest using the ARC and connecting directly from Humax to TV?

I wish i had pass through on my amp.... It just means that you dont have to switch on the amp to watch say..the news. I think it would build a better appreciation for my system when i do fire it up?? Also its more wife friendly?? :cheer:

Just never got round to running av leads from sky hd box direct to my Pio Plasma

A

Anonymous

Hi, just a note on Dolby True HD and DTS-HD . If you want them, you can't use optical or co-ax, it has to be HDMI, here is a link I found when I didn't know why the above wasn't showing up on my amp (TXNR-807), BARE IN MIND THE FAT PS3 old ones won't show Dolby True HD and DTS-HD even with the settings changed. If your set top box has 2 HDMI and/or your Bluray has then as others have mentioned do it their way which is spot on, but if you do want sound and vision then put HDMI TO TV, BLURAY TO AMP, SAME FOR SET TOP BOX if your TV has enough HDMI in's. As with SKY HD, threes only DD, so I use TCI optical and set the amps optical out to OPT 1*, REMEMBER TO HIGHLIGHT IT WITH THE * if you choose this way to listen to audio (press and hold ENTER).

http://forum.blu-ray.com/audio-theory-discussion/41820-guide-home-theater-audio-codecs.html
My set is- ONE HDMI TO PANASONIC FULL HD TV IN

1)Panasonic DMP-BDT110 HDMI>AMP-AUDIO VIA HDMI-BITSTREAM-SECOND AUDIO OFF/2) SKY HD HDMI>AMP-AUDIO VIA OPT 1*/ 3) PS3 HDMI>AMP-BITSTREAM-HDMI AUDIO (I want the amp to process all audio)/PC HDMI>AMP-BITSTREAM-HDMI AUDIO/ 4) XBOX ELITE>AMP-HDMI-HDMI AUDIO/ 5) WII COMPOSITE>AMP-AUDIO COMP. . FOXSAT HDR HDMI>TV-AUDIO VIA TCI OPT 2*

PANASONIC FULL HD TV/ Panasonic DMP-BDT110/ SKY HD/ PS3/ PC/ XBOX ELITE/ WII/ FOXSAT HDR/ X6 HDMI CHORD SUPERSHIELD 1.4V/ CHORD SILVER SCREEN SPEAKER CABLE/ X2 TCI OPTICAL/ WII COMP CABLE/ JAMMO STUDIO 170 FLOOR STANDERS/ GALE 30 SERIES CENTRE/ GALE 30 SERIES DIPOLE REARS/ WHARFEDALE SW150 SUB/ CHORD CRIMSON PLUS SUB CABLE

A

Anonymous

Hi, just a note on Dolby True HD and DTS-HD . If you want them, you can't use optical or co-ax, it has to be HDMI, here is a link I found when I didn't know why the above wasn't showing up on my amp (TXNR-807), BARE IN MIND THE FAT PS3 old ones won't show Dolby True HD and DTS-HD even with the settings changed. If your set top box has 2 HDMI and/or your Bluray has then as others have mentioned do it their way which is spot on, but if you do want sound and vision then put HDMI TO TV, BLURAY TO AMP, SAME FOR SET TOP BOX if your TV has enough HDMI in's. As with SKY HD, threes only DD, so I use TCI optical and set the amps optical out to OPT 1*, REMEMBER TO HIGHLIGHT IT WITH THE * if you choose this way to listen to audio (press and hold ENTER).

http://forum.blu-ray.com/audio-theory-discussion/41820-guide-home-theater-audio-codecs.html

1)Panasonic DMP-BDT110 HDMI>AMP-AUDIO VIA HDMI-BITSTREAM-SECOND AUDIO OFF/2) SKY HD HDMI>AMP-AUDIO VIA OPT 1*/ 3) PS3 HDMI>AMP-BITSTREAM-HDMI AUDIO (I want the amp to process all audio)/PC HDMI>AMP-BITSTREAM-HDMI AUDIO/ 4) XBOX ELITE>AMP-HDMI-HDMI AUDIO/ 5) WII COMPOSITE>AMP-AUDIO COMP. . FOXSAT HDR HDMI>TV-AUDIO VIA TCI OPT 2*

PANASONIC FULL HD TV/ Panasonic DMP-BDT110/ SKY HD/ PS3/ PC/ XBOX ELITE/ WII/ FOXSAT HDR/ X6 HDMI CHORD SUPERSHIELD 1.4V/ CHORD SILVER SCREEN SPEAKER CABLE/ X2 TCI OPTICAL/ WII COMP CABLE/ JAMMO STUDIO 170 FLOOR STANDERS/ GALE 30 SERIES CENTRE/ GALE 30 SERIES DIPOLE REARS/ WHARFEDALE SW150 SUB/ CHORD CRIMSON PLUS SUB CABLE

A

Anonymous

A

Anonymous

A

Anonymous

A

Anonymous

A

Anonymous

My set is- ONE HDMI TO PANASONIC FULL HD TV IN1)Panasonic DMP-BDT110 HDMI>AMP-AUDIO VIA HDMI-BITSTREAM-SECOND AUDIO OFF/2) SKY HD HDMI>AMP-AUDIO VIA OPT 1*/ 3) PS3 HDMI>AMP-BITSTREAM-HDMI AUDIO (I want the amp to process all audio)/PC HDMI>AMP-BITSTREAM-HDMI AUDIO/ 4) XBOX ELITE>AMP-HDMI-HDMI AUDIO/ 5) WII COMPOSITE>AMP-AUDIO COMP. . FOXSAT HDR HDMI>TV-AUDIO VIA TCI OPT 2*

PANASONIC FULL HD TV/ Panasonic DMP-BDT110/ SKY HD/ PS3/ PC i7 Overclocked Saphire HD5850 x2/ XBOX ELITE/ WII/ FOXSAT HDR/ X6 HDMI CHORD SUPERSHIELD 1.4V/ CHORD SILVER SCREEN SPEAKER CABLE/ X2 TCI OPTICAL/ WII COMP CABLE/ JAMMO STUDIO 170 FLOOR STANDERS/ GALE 30 SERIES CENTRE/ GALE 30 SERIES DIPOLE REARS/ WHARFEDALE SW150 SUB/ CHORD CRIMSON PLUS SUB CABLE

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts