How to.connect headphones to my hifi?

clifford

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
hi

currently im running an old mission cyrus one amplifier with no headphone jack.

my two inputs into the amp are a lenco l75 turntable into phono and a musical fidelity v90 dac into video.

i want to run some headphones i can use with both the turntable and the dac. i assume the best way to do this would be headphone amplifier from the tape out rca on the amplifier?

is that right?

i notice a lot of headphone amps only have usb in and also have built in dacs but i assume i dont need a built in dac as i already have the v90.

im looking to spend 50-100 but less in possible. any help?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
clifford said:
hi

currently im running an old mission cyrus one amplifier with no headphone jack.

my two inputs into the amp are a lenco l75 turntable into phono and a musical fidelity v90 dac into video.

i want to run some headphones i can use with both the turntable and the dac. i assume the best way to do this would be headphone amplifier from the tape out rca on the amplifier?

is that right?

i notice a lot of headphone amps only have usb in and also have built in dacs but i assume i dont need a built in dac as i already have the v90.

im looking to spend 50-100 but less in possible. any help?

A small headphone amp running off of your DAC.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
How DIY are you...the three pins for the headphone jack were on the Cyrus 1 and Cyrus 2 circuit boards right to the end, just at some point they stopped soldering a jack to them. If soldering scares you, then yes you're probably better off buying a headphone amp. Or if you don't yet have any headphones, consider something like the Sennheiser RS180 which are wireless and have most excellent built-in amps. Either way, as you correctly state, you would use the Tape Out jacks.

Gray

You're right Clifford, to hear both your turntable and your DAC, use the tape output from the Cyrus to feed the (line) input of a headphone amp.

It won't take much online research to find some good value h/p amp options, maybe someone here can recommend what they use.

Gray

Gray said:
You're right Clifford, to hear both your turntable and your DAC, use the tape output from the Cyrus to feed the (line) input of a headphone amp.

It won't take much online research to find some good value h/p amp options, maybe someone here can recommend what they use.

Edit: I've just seen Major's post. With that option, I'd be getting the soldering iron out - or maybe ask a mate to do it for you.

clifford

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
thanks for all the replies here guys.

regarding the soldering, i can indeed and have done a lot of work using it on the lenco. however, i dont fancy doing that as it would mean having to drill though the fascia (i have the die cast version) so thats a no no or pulling an ugly cable through the top grills.

with that in mind ill go for the headphone amp. i have grado headphones already.

i dont want to spend anything over really 60-70 quid. most of the headohone amps ive seen are usb input and dont have rca

any recommendations ?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
clifford said:
thanks for all the replies here guys.

regarding the soldering, i can indeed and have done a lot of work using it on the lenco. however, i dont fancy doing that as it would mean having to drill though the fascia (i have the die cast version) so thats a no no or pulling an ugly cable through the top grills.

with that in mind ill go for the headphone amp. i have grado headphones already.

i dont want to spend anything over really 60-70 quid. most of the headohone amps ive seen are usb input and dont have rca

any recommendations ?

If a "headphone amp" has a USB input, it's not a regular headphone amp, it's a DAC plus headphone amp.FiiO makes decent amp-only headphone amps.

Gray

In your original post, your budget was up to £100 so not much of a stretch to £109 black, £114 silver one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-Box-II-Headphone-Black/dp/B000EAT7FK/ref=pd_sbs_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N708PCFE2X2W6KSKXR98

Though this one would do a job at half the price. Same price black or silver. (An unknown brand but 'audiophile' components, the rear USB socket is only for an alternative PSU by the way, no DAC within):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabaj-PHA2-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B01EUFICO6/ref=sr_1_215?ie=UTF8&qid=1515893334&sr=8-215&keywords=headphone%2Bamp&th=1

Cheaper seem to be aimed at those wanting portable DAC / amps as opposed to just a decent desktop amp only.

clifford

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
thanks for the replies. ive had a good look at both of those but im leaning towards maybe this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00Z9BIODA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515919284&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=fiio+e11&dpPl=1&dpID=41zwLByx5tL&ref=plSrch

id need to go rca to 3.5 to connect to it but id imagine it would do the job well. seems to have good reviews

Gray

clifford said:
thanks for the replies. ive had a good look at both of those but im leaning towards maybe this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00Z9BIODA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

id need to go rca to 3.5 to connect to it but id imagine it would do the job well. seems to have good reviews

And portable, if you ever need it to be.

Let us know what you think,

clifford

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
thanks i will my only reservation is whether going rca to.3.5 is a bad idea?

Gray said:
clifford said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00Z9BIODA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

And portable, if you ever need it to be.

Let us know what you think, 

Gray

I wouldn't worry too much about the 3.5mm plug Clifford. True, given the choice we'd all choose RCA as the preferred connector, but, short of modifying your new amp, you've got no choice.

I bought two different versions of 3.5mm to RCA lead, including this exact one:

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg00806/3-5mm-jack-to-2x-phono-plugs-1m/dp/AV14269

As you'd expect, the RCA plugs were identified by either white/red or black/red markings. However, as you certainly wouldn't expect, the tip of the 3.5mm plug connected to the red on one lead and the black of the other! How many users of these leads have been listening with their channels reversed? Who'd think you'd need to check?

Wherever you buy from, your lead will probably be fine, but I would advise just get your meter and confirm 3.5 plug tip to white RCA signal pin, 3.5 ring to red (or black) - while you're there check the screen to screens too!

Some people use these of course - which I'd still be double-checking first!:

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg02782/adaptor-2x-phono-to-3-5-jack-st/dp/AV17297

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Gray said:
Ibought two different versions of 3.5mm to RCA lead, including this exact one:

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg00806/3-5mm-jack-to-2x-phono-plugs-1m/dp/AV14269

As you'd expect, the RCA plugs were identified by either white/red or black/red markings. However, as you certainly wouldn't expect, the tip of the 3.5mm plug connected to the red on one lead and the black of the other! How many users of these leads have been listening with their channels reversed? Who'd think you'd need to check?

That's very unusual! A one-off whoops moment perhaps?

Reminds me of the powered Wharfedale Diamond 7.1 speakers I used to use in my home studio. The main unit had a 1/8" jack on the back labelled "To left speaker", but unless you reversed the L&R RCA input plugs, it clearly fed the right speaker. I've never known if I had the only pair wired backwards or whether it was a cockup across the range.

clifford

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
ive decided to take a punt on this amp by askew labs

http://www.askewlabs.co.uk/ourshop/prod_3281476-AskewLabs-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier.html

I know you can diy these types of amps yourself but a. I can't be arsed, b. I like the machine work of the case and c. he's based just down the road from me here in the UK so I'd like to support him.

I'll let you know what I think.

cheers

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice. Well designed and looks well built too. I like how he's honest enough to tell you it's basically built around some stock TI opamps and rail splitters with a supporting cast of high-quality components and a good power supply, instead of trying to pretend it's some secret recipe cooked by fairies from do-do bird feathers and unicorn saliva. I value openness, that approach to marketing works with me, even though some people thrive on manufacturers' incomprehensible blurb.

TRENDING THREADS