How to connect Genelec 8010a to Rega Planar 2 | make it make sense

defsky

Dec 30, 2023
Visit site
Hello experts, please help!

Got plenty of tunes and enthusiasm but a beyond modest setup of a Rega Planar 2 | Onkyo A-9030 | B&W (something or other) which are now for the bin.

Instead of buying new speakers I have a pair of Genelec 8010a monitors in the cupboard. Can I use these as speakers by simply adding a preamp to this setup? Which I also have but without a volume control.

Can the Rega Planar | Genelecs and Preamp be used with the Onkyo (to use as basically just a volume controller)?

Fandango Andy

Got plenty of tunes and enthusiasm but a beyond modest setup of a Rega Planar 2 | Onkyo A-9030 | B&W (something or other) which are now for the bin.

Instead of buying new speakers I have a pair of Genelec 8010a monitors in the cupboard. Can I use these as speakers by simply adding a preamp to this setup? Which I also have but without a volume control.

Can the Rega Planar | Genelecs and Preamp be used with the Onkyo (to use as basically just a volume controller)?
Some integrated amps have a pre out so can be used as a preamp, I don't know if yours has that capability.

There are lots of affordable preamps available. Alternatively you could look at some new speakers. There are always decent affordable secondhand speakers on ebay if you are patient.

What's the problem with the B&Ws?

defsky

Dec 30, 2023
Visit site
The Onkyo can not be used with the active speakers in any way as it has no pre out.

whats up with the B&W speakers?
Thanks for the reply! In my ignorance I thought acquiring some cables I dont have could mean I could get the pre-amp | turntable | genetics to work with the Onkyo so that I can control the audio?
Would I need to just scrap the Onkyo? And if so, what would solve the issue of a volume control?

defsky

Dec 30, 2023
Visit site
Some integrated amps have a pre out so can be used as a preamp, I don't know if yours has that capability.

There are lots of affordable preamps available. Alternatively you could look at some new speakers. There are always decent affordable secondhand speakers on ebay if you are patient.

What's the problem with the B&Ws?
Thanks for the reply! In my ignorance I thought acquiring some cables I dont have could mean I could get the pre-amp | turntable | genetics to work with the Onkyo so that I can control the audio?
Would I need to just scrap the Onkyo? And if so, what would solve the issue of a volume control?

nads

The easiest and cheapest option is to replace the speakers with new.

a phono amp with volume control will be more than a set of speakers as they tend to be rare and therefor high end.

defsky

Dec 30, 2023
Visit site
Hi Nads, getting higher end Genelecs from a friend next year, so wanted to make the setup work without passive speakers, with the 8010a's as a stop gap.
Basically, if I want my turntable through GENELECS I need a phono pre amp with a a volume control?

Hi Nads, getting higher end Genelecs from a friend next year, so wanted to make the setup work without passive speakers, with the 8010a's as a stop gap.
Basically, if I want my turntable through GENELECS I need a phono pre amp with a a volume control?
Yes.
As far as I can see those speakers don't have a volume control of their own so you will need one somewhere in the system.
As previously stated a new pair of passive speakers might be the cheapest route

Fandango Andy

If that's the case just buy a phono preamp with a volume control, there are plenty out there.

How come you are so wedded to the idea of using the Genelecs? A new set of speakers or repairing the B&Ws will probably be easier, cheaper and sound better.

Studio monitors have their place but if you want to listen to music a HiFi is still the best option. To use a probably not very good analogy, it's a bit like being given a racing car and converting it to use on the road. It would be cheaper and easier to buy a road car and the road car would be more suited to the job than the race car. And you would still have the race car to use as intended, or to sell towards the cost of the road car.

If that's the case just buy a phono preamp with a volume control, there are plenty out there.

How come you are so wedded to the idea of using the Genelecs? A new set of speakers or repairing the B&Ws will probably be easier, cheaper and sound better.

Studio monitors have their place but if you want to listen to music a HiFi is still the best option. To use a probably not very good analogy, it's a bit like being given a racing car and converting it to use on the road. It would be cheaper and easier to buy a road car and the road car would be more suited to the job than the race car. And you would still have the race car to use as intended, or to sell towards the cost of the road car.
Can you post a link to a phono preamp with volume control, tah!
I know some rare ones have a built-in headphone amplifier.

Fandango Andy

Can you post a link to a phono preamp with volume control, tah!
I know some rare ones have a built-in headphone amplifier.
Now you mention it, I have never come across anyone trying to do what you wish to. There are lots of phono preamps with volume control such as the one below, but I'm not sure if that's just for the headphones.

So that takes you back to a phono amp, and a separate volume control like this one:

Now you mention it, I have never come across anyone trying to do what you wish to. There are lots of phono preamps with volume control such as the one below, but I'm not sure if that's just for the headphones.

So that takes you back to a phono amp, and a separate volume control like this one:

That's what I thought. The only phono preamp I know of which have a volume control are those that control volume to the headphones section that is built in.
I think when the OP says preamp he means phono preamp as I don't recall any stereo preamplifiers without a volume control.

Reactions: Fandango Andy

Gray

Instead of buying new speakers I have a pair of Genelec 8010a monitors in the cupboard. Can I use these as speakers by simply adding a preamp to this setup?
You don't need to add a phono preamp as you've already got one in the Onkyo.

You just need a passive volume control - like the Schiit SYS mentioned by Andy above.

It would need to be connected between the (fixed level) line output of the Onkyo and the input of the Genelecs.

As it's only temporary, maybe get someone to wire up a cheap passive volume control for you, like this one:
IMG_20230120_133759_MP.jpg
Once you use those Genelecs, you might not want any new speakers.

EDIT: You've mentioned a preamp - presumably separate to your Onkyo.
What preamp have you got? - as that may be your volume control. Maybe you don't need to buy anything??

Last edited:

Gray

Wonder if this is true.
Had a quick glance at the manual https://www.gebruikershandleiding.com/Onkyo-A-9030/preview-handleiding-443691.html
It is a integrated amp with phono input and pre-out.
Connect the turntable to the phono input and the Genelec to the pre-out to get volume control
I saw only line out, no pre out on the pictures I saw of the 9030.

Didn't check that link as it was foreign and I couldn't understand the privacy options.
(I never look at websites that don't allow me to opt out of the majority of their tracking / cookies).

It's possible that in some countries the model had pre outs??

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
ive likely miss understand, but wouldn’t a traditional pre with an integrated phono stage do the job.

Something like a rotel rc-03 pre amp would work no?

One on the big E for a120 quid

Last edited:

record_spot

You can add a phono pre (or preamp with a phono stage), XLR cables and a simple volume control. An adapter too to take RCA to XLR if your choice of preamp doesn't have XLR connections, and you're in business. The 8010a is a great little speaker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts