Vintage Rega planar 2 help

Maxsax

Oct 14, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone, I’m finally getting back I into the beloved vinyl world and recently picked up this used Rega Planar 2. The serial number on the bottom is 204101.

My old system was very basic with a 1980’s Sony direct drive TT so this is a step up for me. It turns on and spins but after that I have no idea how to test if it is in good working condition since the stylus is bent and in need of a new cartridge.

i was hoping I could use the expertise of this forum to help suggest a good cartridge that works on this model of tone arm within the $150-250 range. The ortofon 2mm blue has been suggested by many people but is sold out everywhere and I’ve also heard it would need spacers for these old regas in order to be at the correct height. Again, if that’s something someone new to the process can do themselves then I’m up for it but if there’s an easier option I’m good with that too. The damaged cartridge currently on the arm is a Goldring Epic. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 8

Maxsax

Oct 14, 2021
Visit site
If the tonearm doesn't have a shim underneath it already then you are somewhat limited in cartridge choice.
in my opinion, if you are keeping this deck, it would be a good idea to get a set of spacers otherwise you are limited to Rega cartridges in the main.

I didn’t know that, I appreciate the insight. I’m new to hi fi and am having to learn and research every single piece of the chain from cartridge to speakers so it’s been A LOT. But it’s fascinating so I’m happy to learn!

thanks for the info

Stubailes

Mar 21, 2022
Visit site
If the tonearm doesn't have a shim underneath it already then you are somewhat limited in cartridge choice.
in my opinion, if you are keeping this deck, it would be a good idea to get a set of spacers otherwise you are limited to Rega cartridges in the main.
Not so - and this a commonly held and reported view that is not 100% correct.

No problems with Audio Technica carts - and that’s quite a range. I think even Roy Gandy has said that some variance by mm is not a real problem.

I have a AT Shibata on a planar 2 - mid 90’s & that required only the usual tracking force & alignment.

No problems with Audio Technica carts - and that’s quite a range. I think even Roy Gandy has said that some variance by mm is not a real problem.

I have a AT Shibata on a planar 2 - mid 90’s & that required only the usual tracking force & alignment.
Welcome to the forum. I suppose that is quite possible, as only today I was reading that a Rega Carbon is a custom AT-3600L, so is presumably the same dimensions.

Possibly, but then again Mr. Gandy considered VTA to be unimportant but they now provide shims.
I would consider a few millimetres to be significant.
However,each to their own.

I have a At vm540ml on my P3 with a 2mm shim but if you go any bigger than a 2mm shim the weight on the tonearm will hit the lid when shut. i have tried my cartridge with and without the shim and my old ears can`t hear any difference. the at cartridge sounds very good on my deck so very happy.
This thread is two years old and the OP hasn't been seen since....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts