How to connect an Apple Ipod to a Berseford DAC and Cyrus amp ?

anderc02

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
Hello,
Am i right in thinking that I can connect my Apple Classic ipod to a Beresford TC -7510 DAC then connect the DAC into an input in my Cyrus Amp, to improve the sound of my ipod ?
At present my Ipod goes into my cyrus directly via Chord ichord cable (from the headphone socket to a stero interconnect end ) .
Also would i still be able to use the ichord or would it involve buying a new cable as well and if so which cable ? Digital coaxial?

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm not at all well up on IPoddy things but as far as I know you'll need an IPod dock with a digital out. Run optical or coax from the dock to your Beresford, and a normal phono to phono interconnect between Beresford and Cyrus input.

Now I've said that watch somebody post with a kinky dock on a cable type thing.

A

Anonymous

You are going about this the wrong way, I'm afraid.

An iPod does not have a digital output, but you can use the computer that contains your music files in conjunction with a DAC. An iPod dock is also quite unusable in practice because you cannot read the screen if your sofa is more than a modest distance away!

A computer source can be controlled wirelessly, such as with iTunes "Remote App", and is generally more flexible.

Alternatively the new Cyrus amps have a built-in DAC, so all you need is a laptop as a source!

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
See this

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/wadia-itransport-ipod-dock-gets-bit-perfect-digital-ipods-281975/

Wadia IPod dock with digital out. I suspect it's expensive. Seems to show you can get a digi out though.

A

Anonymous

The Wadia is the price of a laptop though, and if the poster has an iPod then he will also have a computer from which to obtain a digital output!

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I agree. Obviously OP has a PC and streaming from that would probably be cheaper and more convenient for most users who want lossless into a hifi.

manicm

Eddie Pound:

You are going about this the wrong way, I'm afraid.

An iPod does not have a digital output, but you can use the computer that contains your music files in conjunction with a DAC. An iPod dock is also quite unusable in practice because you cannot read the screen if your sofa is more than a modest distance away!

A computer source can be controlled wirelessly, such as with iTunes "Remote App", and is generally more flexible.

Alternatively the new Cyrus amps have a built-in DAC, so all you need is a laptop as a source!

Au contraire, the iPod's digital stream is accessible through the Wadia 170i Transport - which then needs to be connected to a DAC.

So if one's hell bent on the iPod with a chunk of cash to spare the 170i is the way to go - but be warned you're only gonna get results in a high-end system i.e. a DAC in a class above DACMagic or Beresford if reviews are anything to go by.

A

Anonymous

How do you control the iPod from the sofa though?

It's a portable device designed for control in the hand! Not from control several metres away...

idc

Big Aura:perhaps not the prettiest solution (or a solution at all), but this http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/DAB_radios/SOUND_53/index.htm (if you look at the Product User Guide PDF (top right side of page) has an optical (toslink) output. If that outputs digital from an iPod, it can (presumably) go straight to the DAC and will be cheaper than a Wadia iTransport. It's about £250.

Hi Big Aura, sorry but the Roberts radio would not work; instruction manual as the output does not work with ipods, FM or DAB. I have searched and e-mailed and as it stands only the Wadia can bypass the analogue signal from an ipod. So ipod - Wadia - DAC is the only solution to the OP's question.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
well that's a pain in the rear. Why are Apple so precious with their digitial output? Presume there's some licence that needs to be paid for to make it work. grumble grumble grumble.

idc

Big Aura:well that's a pain in the rear. Why are Apple so precious with their digitial output? Presume there's some licence that needs to be paid for to make it work. grumble grumble grumble.

From another post and forum member Jaxwired, it is the case that so far only Wadia have such a licence. Hopefully more and cheaper docks such as the Wadia will appear. Apparently the DAC in the ipod is not particularly high quality (though I have to add that I am more than happy with the sound from an ipod) and to be able to connect an ipod to a DAC or one of the new amps which include a DAC would be ideal.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
idc:

Apparently the DAC in the ipod is not particularly high quality (though I have to add that I am more than happy with the sound from an ipod) and to be able to connect an ipod to a DAC or one of the new amps which include a DAC would be ideal.

I read somewhere that, up the iPod Photo, they all contained a decent wolfson DAC, but thereafter Apple started cutting corners. A mate had his iPod rebuilt at great expense to retrofit a wolfson DAC from an earlier model to his new ipod. He couldn't hear any difference tho!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts