How to avoid buying fake headphones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andy,

I was wondering whether you received my email. Every single headphone sold by Music To Your Ears is sourced from the official UK source so it would be good to be in the listings if possible please.

Thanks

Joel

audioarchitect

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
JoelSim said:
Hi Andy,

I was wondering whether you received my email. Every single headphone sold by Music To Your Ears is sourced from the official UK source so it would be good to be in the listings if possible please.

Thanks

Joel

What's the address of your shop Joel?

audioarchitect

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
JoelSim said:
Hi Andy,

Thanks

Joel

What's the address of your shop Joel?

davecalder

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
www.themercantiletx.com sells fakes.

I assumed that any website recommended on Google Shopping would be legitimate but have found out the hard way in buying fake Sennheiser Momentums. No protection from Google, no protection from credit card company.

Dave

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Dave, hope it gets sorted.

There are plenty of disreputable traders advertising on facebook too and I have written to them about it. Sunglasses too.

BigMartin

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Quality guide Andy!

I'm one of those people who has been scammed on eBay in the past so your tips will definitely help for any future purchases!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Indeed. But you would be in receipt of stolen goods that could be (legally) seized at any time - you'd never be the legal owner, nor be able to get support etc.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
they were stolen in the US .... they cost approx £1000+ each .... so 250 were stolen ... I very much doubt that any will be sold on ebay or Amazon .... these will be sold for $300-$400 dollars each in the US ....

people who buy them will get a bargain

dim_span said:
they were stolen in the US .... they cost approx £1000+ each .... so 250 were stolen ... I very much doubt that any will be sold on ebay or Amazon .... these will be sold for $300-$400 dollars each in the US ....

people who buy them will get a bargain

But if they inform Audeze, they can get $10000. ;)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The biggest scam currently on the internet is when you buy AKG headphones from Harman authorized dealers.

Their websites and borchures will show Austrian made versions and the dealer will deliver you the cheaper badly made Chinese ones, sometimes even at the Austrian made premium prices (you were willing to pay).

This happened to me few weeks ago. I may have lost both the headphones and the money (almost $300, a one month sallary where I live). The US seller is unresponsive, I sent back the headphones, they may never give my money back. Ebay says they don't have to so GTFO Vlad. They obviosly intended to do this in the first place. I googled similar cases and plenty of buyers think they got fake PRC made headphones of low quality. No, you were just scammed by the Harman authorized dealers.

Thank you Harman. Thank you so much.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
A

Anderson

This thread is ruining my life. Every time I click new and updated its always at the top of the results. HITLER > THIS THREAD

smithco

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Sorry guys, completely off topic, but I'm a new member and cannot see a forum option how to create new posts; looked in both Safari and Firefox, I'm sure I'm missing the obvious. Thank you!!

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Most specifically we'd say, buy from an authorised retailer - you might save a few bob buying a from a generic seller on an auction site or elsewhere, but you could be getting fakes/non-genuine product which isnt backed up by any warranty. Buy from an authorised dealer and you get the genuine product, with the sound quality youve read about in the reviews, all with the back up of the warranty (which in some cases for IEMs is 2 years rather than just a year). Genuine = money well spent :)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
audioaffair said:
Most specifically we'd say, buy from an authorised retailer - you might save a few bob buying a from a generic seller on an auction site or elsewhere, but you could be getting fakes/non-genuine product which isnt backed up by any warranty. Buy from an authorised dealer and you get the genuine product, with the sound quality youve read about in the reviews, all with the back up of the warranty (which in some cases for IEMs is 2 years rather than just a year). Genuine = money well spent :)

Quite right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts