How much difference is there, in truth?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bluebrazil said:
p.s. anybody ever heard one? i know its based on the eci 5 amp (smooth as silk) but id like to know how the dac stage is voiced.

its really hard getting to listen to these

I'd be really irritated if a DAC was "voiced". It should convert a digital signal into the equivalent analogue signal. That's all.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hifi is an addiction just like any other thing.. I have know for long time now that there is not much difference in sound quality as many think... Acoustics, room interaction with speakers I think plays the biggest part in a system.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
fr0g said:
bluebrazil said:
p.s. anybody ever heard one? i know its based on the eci 5 amp (smooth as silk) but id like to know how the dac stage is voiced.

I'd be really irritated if a DAC was "voiced". It should convert a digital signal into the equivalent analogue signal. That's all.

in an ideal world thats true, but its all down to the desingers interpretation of how music and voices should sound, if not wouldnt every digital source sound the same less the differences in engineering quality.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
bluebrazil said:
fr0g said:
bluebrazil said:

in an ideal world thats true, but its all down to the desingers interpretation of how music and voices should sound, if not wouldnt every digital source sound the same less the differences in engineering quality.

They pretty much do. Differences can exist mainly due to the design of the analogue section, but even then, it's not such a marked difference and ideally there should be none.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i agree overdose, a digital chipset these days is going to be pretty decent in any piece of kit hopefully. if you disregard jitter elimination, isolation and clocking etc then the analogue stage is where desingers are going to find what i'd call the house sound.

given that the biggest differences in hifi are down to the speakers and amp i have to say my chord dac and my cyrus cd player do sound surprisingly different. i dont think that one is inferior quality as they both have strenghts i appreciate.

formbypc

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
The obvious disadvantage of an all-in-one is that if one element fails, necessitating either return for repair or replacement, the whole darn thing has to go away or be replaced.

I have vinyl, CD/DVD/SACD, Cassette, Reel-to-Reel, HDD Recorder, DAT and TV as sources in my room, through a Pre/Power combo. If one component goes phut, I can still be functional, in some cases with reserve gear from the attic or garage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts