How many of you would buy a TV bigger than 65inch?

T

theflyingwasp

I am 8-9 feet from 60 inches and I would still like to go bigger .im movies movies movies so if I could wave a magic wand I think a 75-80 4k OLED at 8-9 feet would be just perfect.

a lot of people are more than happy with screens smaller than 60 even 42,46 etc and now with 4k tvs coming out that arguably require bigger screen sizes to appreciate the resolution never mind 8k who would want a 70-100 inch screen even if the cost was reasonable?

for movie and sport fans yeah ok bigger will be better but massive screen sizes for just normal tv (imagine uk gold at 80inchs it would look horrific)

also no matter what you want a tv for an 70-100 inch would be a massive black monstrosity in the corner of the room.

D

Deleted member 2457

55-inches is my max, my stand won't take bigger.

guidewell

Apr 29, 2007
Visit site
Anyone like me with massive visual impairment (but with £2,000 or more to spare which I don't currently have) would like as large a screen as helps me to appreciate the best programmes on television (my 'window on the world' showing me things I could never appreciate in real life). I hav actuaslly heard that one of the reasons for local authorities and the government clamping down on benefits is to stop people putting in 'spurious' claims for large-screen televisions as disability aids. All I can tell you is that I sold my boyhood toy cars several years ago to buy the biggest TV I cfould (then 42") and it has taken me all over the world to see breathtaking sights and into museums and galleries to see precious objects - many below 1cm in size - that I would never have seen in real life.I would personally like a 'TV wall' or cinema screen in my lving room.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I had to widen the chimney breast for the Kuro, so could not take much bigger - a modern 55 inch would fit. I am contemplating a proector screen that would drop down in front, which would be about 100 inch - want to wait a year to see if 4k prices projector prices become more reasonable.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Yes 100% would go bigger if it was good - not if it was bigger but worse quality for being bigger - very unlikely.

BTW my 65 fits on the same wall bracket as my 50 Kuro - obviously I bought a big bracket to start with but still its important point that out.

A projector is a good idea - for the obscure reason there is not a huge slab of glass in between the speakers - that would be better for acoustics and you could treat the wall behind the screen if there was space. I dont see the point in having the screen move up and down it would always stay down in this house ready to go :)

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Nope, it would look silly in my lounge any bigger, I'm not even sure I can go to 65" to be honest. Think 60" would probably be the sweet spot

magicshaunson

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm facing this dilema at the moment.

We've been very fortunate to move into a Victorian property with a huge front room. The old 42" Panny plasma just doesn't cut it anymore. Bigger screen would mean moving the whole set up to the exact opposite side of the room from the fireplace and wall-mounting a 65' or bigger.

The problem is, no decent plasmas at that size, and the obvious eye-sore.

We are considering a projector with a screen dropping down in front of the fireplace, but the room's so bright, and gets the sun in the evenings...The logistics of getting a special screen made with adequate drop from the high ceiling is another problem. Then the throw required to project from the opposite end of the room... :help:

Both options are going to upset the missus...

T

theflyingwasp

Ah yes bit of a lose lose situation there :wall:

as much as I champion the Panasonic plasmas LED May be the way to go if the room is very bright and as for projectors big boss had the same prob on another thread check out ReAct projector screens they seem to be great for very bright rooms.

failing that get shot of the missus?

im sure in the bible chapter 6 verse 2 it reads.

"if a woman loves you she lets you buy anything you like wether she likes it or not.end off"

God

abacus

If using in a bright room and you are not allowed to have blackout curtains, then an LCD PJ is probably the best option as they are usually much brighter than DLP or Hybrids (Sony & JVC).

For me 65” is a bare minimum for watching films (Anything smaller does not give you any cinematic experience) but for ordinary programs (News, Bargain Hunt etc.) a smaller TV is fine. (I have a 40” LED)

Screen wise mine is a 92” Optoma drop down screen which is in front of the Window, so automatically blocks out any light when lowered. (Always consider all positions when siting rather than just the old fashioned norm such as fireplace or corner)

Going for a really large screen TV seems pointless, as good ones normally cost more than a PJ and look completely out of place in most regular homes.

Hope this helps

Bill

magicshaunson

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
It is interesting to read everyone's opinions.

I think getting used to the blacks of a plasma always makes me question taking that step to PJ. As with many of these things, a lot of friends have them, but at sub-optimal set-ups (eg straight onto a wall, poorly calibrated etc etc) making it difficult to tell if the picture can ever match that of a Panny plasma.

Being a grown-up and worrying about front room aesthetics is rubbish... :boohoo:

magicshaunson said:
It is interesting to read everyone's opinions.

I think getting used to the blacks of a plasma always makes me question taking that step to PJ. As with many of these things, a lot of friends have them, but at sub-optimal set-ups (eg straight onto a wall, poorly calibrated etc etc) making it difficult to tell if the picture can ever match that of a Panny plasma.

Being a grown-up and worrying about front room aesthetics is rubbish... :boohoo:

Demo the projector-screen combination I suggested. It rivals the best plasmas, including blacks. :)

scene

I've got a 50" Kuro - and with the size of my room, and viewing position, could go to a 60-65" screen. But I would probably keep to the 50" size and install a projector and drop down screen if I was going to go any bigger. I'm in luck as where our house was extended there's an empty roof void above the living room where I could put a drop down projector :bounce:

I think that for price/performance, and for the use it will get, a projector is probably still better over 60-65" and I don't want my living room to be dominated by a vast screen.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Observe my restraint in waiting five days to respond to the second thread within a week that might have been created just for me! :) (The other thread being the 11.2 or 11.1 speaker set-up in the Home Cinema section.)

theflyingwasp said:
I am 8-9 feet from 60 inches and I would still like to go bigger .im movies movies movies so if I could wave a magic wand I think a 75-80 4k OLED at 8-9 feet would be just perfect.

a lot of people are more than happy with screens smaller than 60 even 42,46 etc and now with 4k tvs coming out that arguably require bigger screen sizes to appreciate the resolution never mind 8k who would want a 70-100 inch screen even if the cost was reasonable?

for movie and sport fans yeah ok bigger will be better but massive screen sizes for just normal tv (imagine uk gold at 80inchs it would look horrific)

also no matter what you want a tv for an 70-100 inch would be a massive black monstrosity in the corner of the room.

Hmmm, where to begin? Not for the first time, theflyingwasp, I'm struggling to fully understand one of your posts. Your first paragraph seems to be in favour of very big screens, but then your next three paragraphs tend towards smaller screens!! But just to take a couple of points:

theflyingwasp said:

Well, I've never seen an 80-inch television, so I must be cautious. However, I can assert that most normal Standard Definition channels look fine on all four of my televisions, including the 60" LG in the kitchen and the 64" Samsung in the parlour, see the picture below (taken, like all my pictures, on an ANCIENT (2006) 1.3 MPixel non-Smart mobile phone, so you have to allow for some loss of quality in the result). This is the Freeview Quest +1 channel on the 64" Samsung.

Image093_1793_kB_23-May-2014_02h58_B57_zps294c29d1.jpg

theflyingwasp said:

That might be part of the problem! Perhaps I am unusual in this, but all my televsions are proudly centre stage, none are lurking in corners!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
scene said:
I've got a 50" Kuro - and with the size of my room, and viewing position, could go to a 60-65" screen. But I would probably keep to the 50" size and install a projector and drop down screen if I was going to go any bigger. I'm in luck as where our house was extended there's an empty roof void above the living room where I could put a drop down projector :bounce:

I think that for price/performance, and for the use it will get, a projector is probably still better over 60-65" and I don't want my living room to be dominated by a vast screen.

I can't dispute what scene says, and also the sentiment behind theflyingwasp thoughts in starting this thread. I think the issue is at what point does a television begin to look simply too big? I also agree that for most people, that point seems to be around 60-65 inches, larger than that and the majority would go for a projector. I don't dispute that. For me, my current leanings (and they may change again, they have changed over the last year or so!) are to go for a bigger televsion rather than a projector, PROVIDED, as ellisdj mentions, that the very big television is good enough. It's not sufficient for the television to be very big indeed, if its picture quality is only average, or indeed good. For me, the image quality of the very big television must be somewhere between "very good indeed" and "excellent" and "fantastic".

Last night I did a few measurements in the kitchen, currently home to my 60" LG60PZ950T plasma. I had had visions of replacing it one day with a really, really big set. However, to shorten a long story, I've realised that the biggest that I could have in the kitchen is a 70" television. (Because of the false (lowered) ceiling in the kitchen, it's really not practical to think of a projector in the kitchen, where in fact I do most of my television and Blu-Ray viewing.) So my current thinking is that one day, within two years, before the Olympic Games from Brazil, I will have a 70" television in the kitchen, something like the new Sharp Aquos LC70UQ10, which is £3K at John Lewis, here http://www.johnlewis.com/sharp-aquos-lc70uq10-led-1080p-full-hd-3d-4k-compatible-smart-tv-70-with-freeview-hd-2x-3d-glasses/p1333179

To give some perspective, this is what the current 60" LG looks like in the kitchen (I was cleverly trying to display this What Hi-Fi thread, but my poor mobile phone camera can't cope with the range of brightnesses in the image and so the television picture has largely bleached out, sorry),

Image106_2893_kB_21-May-2014_21h12_B70_zps55db0231.jpg

T

theflyingwasp

Very informative posts son_of_sj how come big tvs always look tiny in photographs?.maybe my thread should have been "how many people own a tv bigger than 65inch". My guess would be not many.......

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
If you like movies that much then I ewould get a Projector and an 80"-100" screen, forget mounting a huge video pannel on the wall. I'm sticking with my 50" LX5090 and onlt buying another TV if it's irreparible. I'll get a projector when they can produce proper blacks and I can afford one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts