How many cables have you got to work your system?

idc

Light relief for the weekend, counting cables. I have;

2 x mains extensions, 3 x mains cables (one of which is about 3" long between PSU and DAC), 2 x PSUs, 2 x interconnects, 1 x USB, 2 x headphone cables. Total 12. All are in use, I am not counting other bits and pieces in my small stash. Add the TV etc and that is another 4 mains cables and 2 scarts.

There is no way anyone else will have more than me
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Both of you had better find something more productive to do with your time!
emotion-4.gif

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
2 mains extensions, 7 mains cables, 4 interconnects, 3 MS-Bus = 16 (not to mention the speaker cables) - but then I'm a Cyrus nut. Obsessive Cyrus nuts might go over the 30 mark!

Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish

A

Anonymous

Ok here goes...

1x Mains Extension (5x sockets), 6x Mains cables (3x standard ones, 3x IXOS branded for amps), 1x DC Wallwart / transformer for DACMagic 2, 1x Chord Optichord (Mac > DAC), 1x Bundled TosLINK cable from a soundcard (Sky+ > Mac), 1x QED Reference RCA-RCA interconnects (awaiting second pair), 1x Bundled RCA-RCA interconnects, to be replaced with second pair of QED Reference, 1x IXOS 3.5mm > RCA interconnect, 1x Firewire, 1x Headphone cable.

All of which are in use*, so with a total of 15. Ah the joys of a computer based system!

That's excluding the video cable for the Apple display and the USB iPhone/dock cable.

* Well will be again shortly due to decorating the room.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
1 x Naim 5 pin DIN --> 5 pin DIN (CD player)

2 x RCA phono (DAC and Turntable)

1 x USB

1 x Optical

3 x mains cables (CD + amp + TT) and 2 DC PSU's (for Rega Fono-Mini & DAC)

1 x set NAC-A5 speaker cables.

Ideally, and very soon, that lot is coming come down to just...

1 x mains cable

1 x optical

1 x co-ax aerial (from FM roof aerial)

1 x set NAC-A5 speaker cables.

T

the record spot

One set of AudioQuest Copperhead interconnects between CD and amp. One set of QED Qunex 3 between the DVD player and the amp. One pair of biwired AudioQuest Type IV speaker cables. standard mains cables from components to a 4-way socket block (unbranded surge protector). That's it.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
3 mains block.

3 x earth leads

12 x mains leads

3 x hdmi cables

2 x optical cables

6 x RCA (guessing there)

1 x scart

4 pairs of speaker cables

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
hardly any. 1 mains for each speaker. a connection between them. (by the way this is as flexible as rubber tubing and hugs the curve of my bay window). an optical for my squeezebox. and its powe cable .

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Stock iec for the cdp and amp, one chunky industrial mains for a 4way mains block, one homemade ic for cdp and four two metre runs of cat6 that make 2 two metre speaker cables.

daveh75

2 tacima mains blocks

10 power cables

8 stereo rca i/c's

7 speaker cables,

1 coaxial sub cable

1 neutrik hi-level sub cable

2 optical cables

1 coaxial digital

4 hdmi cables

4 satellite feeds

1 tv aerial feed

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
2 x Mains Block (1 of them Tacima Filtered)

11 x Mains Cables (Inc Wii, Areal Booster and Laptop)

2 x Phono Pairs

1x optical interconnect

1x Digital Interconnect

1x Sub Interconnect

2x HDMI Cables

1x Wii Component Cable

1x Wii Sensor Cable

1x VGA Display Cable

2x Scart Cable

Approx 4 Coax Areal Leads

1x Coax Sat Cable

5x Speaker Cable (Pair)

2x Speaker Cable (Bi-Wire)

I think that is the lot.

idc

fast eddie:life must be really dull today!

Having tried to be deep and meaningful over the past couple of weekends, but it all went horribly wrong (arguments, misunderstandings, threads locked, you know the kind of thing), this weekend is simple and noncontroversial. Anyway real men like lists and seeing who has the longest..............

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just thinking that 40 - 45 years ago a 'hifi' would have been a turntable an amp or receiver and speakers. (Two or three mains. One or two ICs and some speaker cable.)

30 - 35 years ago, one would have had a music-centre (one mains and speaker wire) or a 'rack' system. More interconnects, but all very short and flexible and hidden away tidily unlike the inflexible 'hosepipes' that pass for cables today. (Some of these audiophile mains cables would not look out of place at a U2 gig or under the floor of a computer megaplex!)

They probably all assumed that by 2009 wires/cables would pretty much be obsolete or one computer style 'Bus' cable would do the lot.

Seems the average person here has more system cabling than an entire 1970s home required for all of it's electrical goods put together.

Even a TV back then only needed a coax and a mains lead. Now it needs SCART/HDMI/Coax/Optical/mains and probably RCA as well. The space saved by flat screens has almost been absorbed by cables! (And nowhere to rest a nice 1970s rubber-plant.)

Seems that only devices like ADM9s with wireless streaming or something like an Arcam Solo or naimuniti are able to get us back to the cable count of most of the 1960s/70s hifi's or even 1950s radiograms!

(Why does anything 'wireless' require lots of wires to fulfill it's wireless-ness?)

SteveR750

idc:
fast eddie:life must be really dull today!

Having tried to be deep and meaningful over the past couple of weekends, but it all went horribly wrong (arguments, misunderstandings, threads locked, you know the kind of thing), this weekend is simple and noncontroversial. Anyway real men like lists and seeing who has the longest..............

I was going to post something along the lines of mine are 23ft long.....I suspect its more macho to have lots of cables than fewer, and this has always intrigiued me as major differentiator between gadgets - some are bigger is better (TV's, cars are two examples that spring to mind), whereas others the opposite is true such as PC's, phones etc

A

Anonymous

ok well in keeping with the lists and stuff:

Hifi:
1 Extension block
4 mains cables,
1 power from ttpsu to p3
4 pairs i/c's
1 pair speaker cables

Home Cinema:
4 mains cables
1 extension block
3 component cables
1 optical cable
3 pairs i/cs
5 runs speaker cable.

A

Anonymous

I got spaghetti junction on top of spaghetti junction, really got to get round to sorting that, lol. I got quite few cables tucked away in boxes too. Bit addicted me thinks!

idc

Tarquinh:Is there nothing on TV?

This is actually a sneaky survey for Russ Andrews so as to get a better idea of what stock to buy in. So I will put you down for one ......... small one
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts