How important are the following to you...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SteveR750

I'd love to hear the Devialet. If "Class D" (or whatever mode it operates in) sounds slightly cold and clinical, well maybe it's time to shoot the recording engineer? On a slightly more serious note, I'd love to compare a SAM'd v Active comparison of the same speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I'd love to hear the Devialet. If "Class D" (or whatever mode it operates in) sounds slightly cold and clinical, well maybe it's time to shoot the recording engineer? On a slightly more serious note, I'd love to compare a SAM'd v Active comparison of the same speakers.

FWIW. I think if you heard a Devialet, you'd want one....I can feel it in my water (or maybe that's just my stent)!

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
SteveR750 said:

FWIW. I think if you heard a Devialet, you'd want one....I can feel it in my water (or maybe that's just my stent)!

Probably, but two things. Firstly, I don't care much for avant garde equipment aesthetics. I'm old skool, and power comes from a big box with a brushed aluminium front, in that respect only the French could conceive its looks perhaps. Secondly, I'm convinced by the technical advantages that active speakers offer in theory.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Edited List:

- SQ

- Aesthetics

- Magazine Reviews

- Boredom (just fancy a change)

- Joy of the hunt

- Measurements

- Brand / Reputation

- Forum feedback

- Something else?

- Dealer advice

- VFM

- Features

-Energy efficiency

- Unusualness / Rarity

- Funtionality

- Nostalgia

- Accessibility

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Going back to your original question: I would also add accessibility. The greatest component could be 200 miles away. No good to me doing a 400 miles round trip. I'd rather settle for something less within a reasonable travelling time.

Accessibility now added to my amended list.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
gel said:
Measurements are important for TV too, but all OLED TVs give perfect black levels.

That begs another interesting question...are measurements more crucial in making a decision on some components than on others?....and if so, which components?
Also begs the question, performance differs alot on tele sets even for the same models, would this not be the case with hifi. Surely hifi products of same model cnt all sound exactly the same..? Speakers , amps, streamers subwoofers. etc..

SteveR750

plastic penguin said:
Going back to your original question: I would also add accessibility. The greatest component could be 200 miles away. No good to me doing a 400 miles round trip. I'd rather settle for something less within a reasonable travelling time.

buy online home demo? It's becoming increasingly popular, and let's be honest no retailers demo room is anything like yours.

PostScript - good to see you back posting PP

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
In theory if the voltage stage in a hybrid amp is run in Class A, it bypasses the sonic signature of crossover distortion that occurs in the following current stage. So all Class A/D and Class A solid state amps should sound identical, sans audible crossover distortion. I wish we had some techy to explain this better. Here is how understand it using analogies.

Imagine you have a boat with two strong engines and you have option for maneuvering by 1) turning the engines or 2) using a rudder. The engines are the current amp and maneuvering is the voltage amp in this analogy. The Devialet is a solid state amp with very strong Class D MOSFET engines and very sensitive and precise Class A (I presume) Bipolar rudder for 'stearing'. That Musical Fidelity Cno ownes is a light boat that has its small engines turning in order to maneuver and since they are light, there is reasonable precise maneuvering capabilities. Essentially both solutions are different but the results should be the same, at least to our flawed human hearing.

Did this analogy make any sense?

Anyways.

Valve amps are voltage devices, and their Class A sound is attained in the voltage domain, just like that Devialet and many hybrids before it, thus in theory both should have no audible crossover distortion. However, the valve amp will impart many other sonic artefacts to the original signal it amplifies. Basically people who like valve amps and pride on them like some sort of refinement, actually are the coke + wine mix drinkers. Maybe they are the fun crowd to hang out with. Hmmm...
hmm5ln.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
Yes, but valve owners will say the same kind of things about any solid state amp, including Class A. So you kind of shoot yourself in the foot with that one.

With the dishonourable exception of one rank idiot on PFM ('Disbeliever') and a couple of Naim owners (less said the better), I've not heard or read of one person saying they prefer a solid state amp to a Devialet. No Class A owners have chimed in to say their burning beasties are better than a Devialet. Doesn't that strike you as odd?

Anyway it matters not. We know in our hearts that we want different things from our systems. Vive la difference etc etc.

Almost every review of the 35i has said that this is the amp for Valve lovers, who don't want the faff, as well as having a lot of the characteristics associated with that topology. It does have (imo) much of the benefits of both....so no foot shooting.

Hi Fi World: "There’s a smoothness, delicacy and warmth to this amplifier that I haven’t heard outside of a valve amplifier, and it was so pronounced that I’m still trying to fathom it weeks after first setting ears upon it."

Soundstage: "Who should be interested in the Musical Fidelity AMS35i? Someone who loves the sound of tube amplifiers but not the hassle of maintaining them.."

Australian Review: "The sound was superbly pure and accurate over the midrange, with a juicy, liquid sound that was as far removed from a dry presentation as you can imagine.."

Stereophile: "The AMS35i had a rich, full-bodied, sweet, harmonically pure sound that worked to ameliorate the less than perfect, especially digital recordings or remasterings.."

I don't get into what is better, only what is preferable to a particular individual. With the exception of Singslinger, I don't know how many Pink Fishers have heard a 35i; and with the exception of your good self, I don't know of anyone who has heard a 35i and a Devialet, let alone directly compared them.

When Acalex (former member) on here, did detailed head to heads between the Jadis and the 35i, he said they were surprisingly close, with the 35i being slightly more versatile across different music genres and the Jadis being slightly more emotive with simple Jazz and the human voice. He could have happily lived with either, but the Jadis edged it for his music choice (and his girlfriend preferred its aesthetics).

His friend Roby was also in for most of the auditions and went with the 35i, because his music choice was more hard core and varied (and needed the better bass welly/control of the SS amp).

There is no better or worse in this debate, and one's own personal preferences are always right...and you are perfectly within your rights to defend your choices.

SteveR750

Vladimir said:
Basically people who like valve amps and pride on them like some sort of refinement, actually are the coke + wine mix drinkers. Maybe they are the fun crowd to hang out with. Hmmm...

Vlad, this is the best thing I have read on the internet for a long time. I presume you meant coke with a small "c"?

Not a dig at valve amp owners btw, could be aimed at anyone.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
How important are those things in that list to you Cno?

That's more than a fair question and I'm surprised I've got away this long without (rightly) being challanged. For the sake of expediency (and the fact that the list has got so long), I'm adopting Tino's marking system.

- SQ...................................................................10/10

- Aesthetics.....................................................6/10

- Magazine Reviews....................................5/10

- Boredom (just fancy a change)..............0/10

- Joy of the hunt............................................8/10

- Measurements............................................4/10

- Brand / Reputation....................................8/10

- Forum feedback.......................................7/10

- Dealer advice............................................7/10

- VFM..............................................................4/10

- Features......................................................2/10

-Energy efficiency......................................Hmmmmm

- Unusualness / Rarity................................0/10

- Funtionality..................................................5/10

- Nostalgia......................................................0/10

- Accessibility.................................................0/10

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Almost every review of the 35i has said that this is the amp for Valve lovers, who don't want the faff, as well as having a lot of the characteristics associated with that topology. It does have (imo) much of the benefits of both....so no foot shooting.

Hi Fi World: "There’s a smoothness, delicacy and warmth to this amplifier that I haven’t heard outside of a valve amplifier, and it was so pronounced that I’m still trying to fathom it weeks after first setting ears upon it."

Soundstage: "Who should be interested in the Musical Fidelity AMS35i? Someone who loves the sound of tube amplifiers but not the hassle of maintaining them.."

Australian Review: "The sound was superbly pure and accurate over the midrange, with a juicy, liquid sound that was as far removed from a dry presentation as you can imagine.."

Stereophile: "The AMS35i had a rich, full-bodied, sweet, harmonically pure sound that worked to ameliorate the less than perfect, especially digital recordings or remasterings.."

I don't get into what is better, only what is preferable to a particular individual. With the exception of Singslinger, I don't know how many Pink Fishers have heard a 35i; and with the exception of your good self, I don't know of anyone who has heard a 35i and a Devialet, let alone directly compared them.

When Acalex (former member) on here, did detailed head to heads between the Jadis and the 35i, he said they were surprisingly close, with the 35i being slightly more versatile across different music genres and the Jadis being slightly more emotive with simple Jazz and the human voice. He could have happily lived with either, but the Jadis edged it for his music choice (and his girlfriend preferred its aesthetics).

His friend Roby was also in for most of the auditions and went with the 35i, because his music choice was more hard core and varied (and needed the better bass welly/control of the SS amp).

There is no better or worse in this debate, and one's own personal preferences are always right...and you are perfectly within your rights to defend your choices.

Fair enough. Also worth noting that several of the Devialet owners on PFM have moved there from valves and show no signs of going back (Conrad Johnson, Berning, Audio Research ...)

Anyway, when you hear a Dev you'll see the truth, whatever that is. *give_rose*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
Fair enough. Also worth noting that several of the Devialet owners on PFM have moved there from valves and show no signs of going back (Conrad Johnson, Berning, Audio Research ...)

Anyway, when you hear a Dev you'll see the truth, whatever that is. *give_rose*

Bar a few "Troublemakers", I have read nothing but praise for it....Robert Harley's review for the Absloute Sound is how I envisige it sounding.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Are you claiming that sans the SAM DSP functions, Devialet sounds different than say a Bryston amp when level matched?

No, though I'd like to find out. I now have a good quality switch box (which can switch safely between two amps into a single pair of speakers), a good multimeter (for level matching), and an oscilloscope (to check for clipping). All I need is the effing time!

If the Dev and, say, a Bryston B135 SST² sounded indistinguishable, then I'd still recommend the Dev, as the cost is similar and the Dev has more functions.*

* streaming, SAM, phono stage, and more to come e.g. room correction promised for later this year.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
All the Class D amps that I've heard, have shared similar traits, which are very similar to those highlighted in some of the posts on PFM...so that is what my concern is based on.

I'm totally with you on this one, Cno.

Piano recordings have sounded all wrong to my ears on every class D amp I've heard so far.

As for the Devialet Class D not being present in the output signal, it's like the Bill Shankly / Brian Clough quote on the offside rule: "If a player is not interfering with play, what's he doing on the pitch?"

If the Class D bit isn't present in the output signal, what's it's doing in the amp?

coopersimith

May 5, 2015
Visit site
100%- SQ

50%- Aesthetics

30%- Magazine Reviews

10%- Boredom (just fancy a change)

20%- Joy of the hunt

40%- Measurements

50%- Brand / Reputation

30%- Forum feedback

The sound is most improtant to me! I would fall into the one touchs me with its beautiful sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts