How great is spotify!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Aaaaarrrrgh! Compression!

Very convenient, but I'd use it to try before I buy a CD, as in my view I haven't spent years building my system to pump compressed audio through it. As a shop-window though, it's a great idea!

daveh75

Dougal1331:

Very convenient, but I'd use it to try before I buy a CD, as in my view I haven't spent years building my system to pump compressed audio through it. As a shop-window though, it's a great idea!

Exactly what i use it for,wouldn't dream of using it as a permanent source!

A

Anonymous

Without this WHF forum. Id be totally ignorant of such things as SPOTIFY. Yes I live a sheltered humble life.

Hence I'll give it a try - thanks to all.

I thought spotify was something that happened when you got measles.

Serenity

"The Sea hath fish for every man"

A

Anonymous

Dougal1331:

Lossless!!

John Duncan

Dougal1331:I haven't spent years building my system to pump compressed audio through it. As a shop-window though, it's a great idea!

Agreed in theory - in practice you'll be too busy listening to give a damn.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Just had a running around the house excited moment.

Downloaded Airfoil and Airfoil Speakers and hey presto Spotify streaming through my main Hi-Fi speakers from the PC down in the cellar. No Airport Express required.

The i-touch and applications really impresses me - radio paradise / lastfm / spotify / bbc i-player and of course the best music bought on cd and i dont really need any more hardware.

I may even upgrade my dock to wadia its getting so much use.

John Duncan

crusaderlord:Downloaded Airfoil and Airfoil Speakers and hey presto Spotify streaming through my main Hi-Fi speakers from the PC down in the cellar. No Airport Express required.

How d'you manage that? Connect the iPod Touch?

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Airfoil streams any music source on the pc eg itunes and spotify through your existing wireless network and the itouch application Airfoil Speakers on the itouch syncs in and streams what is on your PC Airfoil selection.

Then i have an Arcam r-dock connected to the main hi-fi and the itouch streams wirelessly from the main router into the pc via the dock.

Very easy really - just maybe one day i will update the Arcam r-dock although this itself is an great item.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
airfoil isnt quite perfect though - every 3 or 4 mins there is a fraction of a second interruption to the stream on my pc anyway

as this happens whether i am streaming to itouch or not it will probably affect airport express too - i dont know if this is common and its fine if i just run spotify outside of airfoil

John Duncan

Hm, windows zero configuration network's your problem, I think - generally airfoil works perfectly for me, provided airport express is behaving (which is not always, though am about to wire it in to the router, which may make reliability better).

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Once again this forum has opened eyes that age and the distractions of everyday life had shut to the new world of digital music. I came on here like
the customer in the Not The Nine O'clock News 'gramophone' sketch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco. And tomorrow have a demo room booked at bartletts hi-fi for the AVI 9.1 and Sonos.I am really loving Spotify, and realise that it might be a while before Sonos works with it. But then there's always Napster.But what I'm really enjoying on Spotify, is by using just my PC desktop speakers, I belive I can hear the quality/production of some of the older cd's or newer issues of cd's. Some artists have a particular track pops up on a number of albums, various albums, retrospectives etc. And you can really pick out the best recordings. Side step to that album and often the whole thing is top quality.I recently found this little gem amongst some new releases that didn't sound half as good. I would appreciate your thoughts on this, quality wise:Lightning Hopkins. The complete Prestige/Bluesville Recordings 1991

A

Anonymous

I joined Spotify in the last month and I have to say It,s brilliant. I like Soul, House, Chillhouse and Jazz and I would say that I have been able to locate about 90% of the music. I would say though subscribe to the Premium membership straight away, because with the Open and Unlimited memberships you get adverts which interupt the tracks you are playing. Two other reasons for subscribing to Premium, is that you notice a better quality of sound that comes from your laptop speakers, also you can sync the tracks that you download to your playlists and play them offline, otherwise the tracks you have downloaded to a playlist will not play after a month. (unless you purchase the track). Finally subscribing to premium will allow you to play the tracks that you have downloaded, as long as you log on at least once in thirty days you will not lose any downloaded tracks. Hope that is clear !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts