How great is spotify!

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Thats basically what I use it for as well but it is really handy if you haven't got a song or album to hand to fill any gaps in a collection. Admitedly the sound quality ain't the best.

idc

Hi emcc_3. Well I have stumped up £99 for the year so now get it advert free and have it listed in my sig! At the start adverts were once an album, now it is more like twice and for longer. The sound quality is middling at the equivalent to 256kbps. Spotify accept gaps in their availablity, such as Mettalica, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin and there is nothing from King Crimson. But I have some gems which I could not find elsewhere, such as Brian Eno's Nerve Net in my playlist. Also there are the new albums from Neil Young, U2, Gomez and Depeche Mode, so I have saved £40 with that lot and add in all the other stuff I have on my playlist I made the £99 back within a day.

As bit rates and availability grown, Spotify will just get better and better and sadly probably more expensive.

Dislikes are the black and white colour scheme, and the lack of space dedicated to your own playlists.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
£99 for a year that ain't bad considering you could spend the same on itunes in a month for mp3's of a similiar bit rate. Im sure as it progresses you will get the option to change the colour scheme and the space allowed for playlists will be improved

idc

Yes, I have the feeling that the only way is up for Spotify, it can only get better, so I am quite happy to take a punt with them. I did delay paying after they were hacked and user details stolen, but they assure security has been tightened. I was an early adopter with itunes as well, but have switched loyalty to Spotify as they provide the same quality of music for much less. I use itunes to import CDs in lossless bit rates. But I am not so in need of the better bit rates that Spotify will just not do. In any case my DAC is an add-on to my headphone amp. So I would expect the sound from Spotify to improve further when I get a better DAC.

A

Anonymous

The combination of Spotify and Last.fm is a good one. Spotify and Last.fm both let you listen to music. Spotify lets you listen to whole albums in an easy manner, but last.fm has excellent recommendations.

It is simple to scrobble from spotify to lastfm. By that I mean send all your listens to last.fm.

great stuff

T

the record spot

Yep, been using it since late Feb I think and really rate it. I use th efree version, but only get voice ads once every 8 or 12 songs....maybe I'm just doing something different? Dunno. Either way, very good for what it is and the sound quality is decent too.

Great idea though. You can't save to hard drive, but you can store and access your playlists from anywhere which arguably is better from an accessibility perspective.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
So you like Robert Fripp then Idc, well I went to school with him and Bob taught me to play guitar many moons ago. also went out with his sister Patsy for about 12 months or so, she is now in the States as well.As you know he is married to Toyah [Wilcox] He and Toyah were in Portsmouth and Wimborne Dorset in Jan this year,for the funeral of one of my best friends [ his uncle Charles] . Btw he is very Big in South America at the moment. Just in case you are interested.

A

Anonymous

Spotify is good for listening to songs you haven't got or listening to new albums before you buy.

I could be wrong, but the frequency of adverts seems to be related to the popularity of the artist. The more popular artists getting more advert interuptions.

Either way, the ads only last about 20 seconds so not a big problem.

A

Anonymous

I have a radio. I can listen to lots of stuff for free, without ads, and covering every musical genre. It's great!

matthewpiano

Spotify is useful for checking stuff out before buying, but I wouldn't pay for it.

£99 buys quite a lot of CDs these days with far better sound quality than Spotify. I've never been a big iTunes downloader for the same reason. When I have a budget for buying music, it goes on CDs and (occasionally) second ahdn vinyl.

A

Anonymous

Very great.

Too great to be true really, at least in the long term. I predict they will either go bust, or will radically alter their business model.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I love the breadth/depth of Spotify - I'm on the free service, but somehow it's costing me a fortune, as I keep discovering/rediscovering music I then go out and buy....

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:I love the breadth/depth of Spotify - I'm on the free service, but somehow it's costing me a fortune, as I keep discovering/rediscovering music I then go out and buy....

Yes, that's been my experience of using the service too. Unfortunately for Spotify, they don't benefit from that revenue stream.

A

Anonymous

There is a buy it now link to 7digital so it's safe to say they do get paid.

idc

RodhasGibson:So you like Robert Fripp then Idc, well I went to school with him and Bob taught me to play guitar many moons ago. also went out with his sister Patsy for about 12 months or so, she is now in the States as well.As you know he is married to Toyah [Wilcox] He and Toyah were in Portsmouth and Wimborne Dorset in Jan this year,for the funeral of one of my best friends [ his uncle Charles] . Btw he is very Big in South America at the moment. Just in case you are interested.

Wow, excellent claim to fame. Any chance of giving 'Bob' a call and asking him to make King Crimson available on Spotify and the superb League of Crafty Guitarist's Show of Hands album! Say hi to Toyah. Thanks.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
emcc_3:£99 for a year that ain't bad considering you could spend the same on itunes in a month for mp3's of a similiar bit rate. Im sure as it progresses you will get the option to change the colour scheme and the space allowed for playlists will be improved

Eh? £99 per month on iTunes...laughs (to fade)

Surely the whole point of music is to find albums that you will play 100s of times and listen to in more and more detail

I think my spending on iTunes adds up to 89p. Princess Superstar.

ÿ

ÿ

idc

JoelSim:

Eh? £99 per month on iTunes...laughs (to fade)

Surely the whole point of music is to find albums that you will play 100s of times and listen to in more and more detail

My monthly spend on new music is probably about £20. With Spotify it will stay about the same, but the equivalent of about £8 will be on Spotify. What is your monthly spend Joel?

I have particularly enjoyed searching through itunes and now Spotify for new music and my collection has grown more diverse. I do not think that there is a cheaper, more user controlable, easier means of doing that than Spotify.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Probably £30 I would think. I like to listen a few times but there are albums that don't get played more than once if I'm honest.

ÿ

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
It is Fantastic, ordered about 6 albums last night after some spotify and Last FM surfing, some artists I find on there that I have been recommended on Last FM have not got stuff on Spotify (William Fitsimmonds for one) but most of it is, bought a USB to Toshlink to hook the laptop up to the AV amp which improves the audio quality enough to get a fair judgement of the quality before purchasing a CD, I can see my collection rapidly expanding :).

A

Anonymous

tractorboy:Clare Newsome:I love the breadth/depth of Spotify - I'm on the free service, but somehow it's costing me a fortune, as I keep discovering/rediscovering music I then go out and buy....

Yes, that's been my experience of using the service too. Unfortunately for Spotify, they don't benefit from that revenue stream.

Im with both of you here...i must have spent £80 in a week on CDs
emotion-14.gif

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Spotify streamed with Airfoil to airport expresses round the house - just need spotify remote for iphone now and I think my music world would be pretty close to perfect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts