How great is spotify!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I have discovered loads of new artists via spotify,what a great website,the sound qaulity shows its flaws the more you listen and compare a song with an original cd,but at 160kbs it sounds better than dab at least.I dont mind the odd advert if I 'm not paying

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Well,I went into HMV today to get a few CD's I have identified on spotify I want to get,they had none of them damn!... plus the sound system was so brittle and loud through some small JBL speakers it was annoying me. Instant listening fatigue LOL.I had to get out of there. BTW does spotify premium stream in a higher bitrate?

A

Anonymous

The great thing for me about Spotify is the archive live tracks and sessions that I've never heard of.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
tractorboy:Very great. Too great to be true really, at least in the long term. I predict they will either go bust, or will radically alter their business model.

Well you old cynic.

emotion-17.gif
But i agree.

A

Anonymous

If I want to enjoy spotify What connection speeds are needed,As we only get 572kb down the phone line. Do I need mobile Broadband for a better service?

idc

Richard Melville:The great thing for me about Spotify is the archive live tracks and sessions that I've never heard of.

Have you tried the Grateful Dead? Dicks Picks series of live albums? All 36 frikking volumes! And then there are another 25 live albums! Thats going to far. Imagine if you were a completist who got into the Grateful Dead..............there should be a health warning!

John Duncan

OK, OK, I'm late to the Spotify party, but I'm sold. I'm sitting here almost weeping at hearing stuff I didn't know even existed. So how can I integrate this properly? iPhone remote control? Do any hardware clients integrate it - Squeezebox/Sonos/Anything Else?

(ooo Blood Bank advert just freaked me out)

Oh and by the way Joel, if you're reading this - £10 a month would pay for itself in no time for you if you buy just one album that you end up not liking......

nads

JohnDuncan:OK, OK, I'm late to the Spotify party, but I'm sold. I'm sitting here almost weeping at hearing stuff I didn't know even existed. So how can I integrate this properly? iPhone remote control? Do any hardware clients integrate it - Squeezebox/Sonos/Anything Else?

(ooo Blood Bank advert just freaked me out)

Oh and by the way Joel, if you're reading this - £10 a month would pay for itself in no time for you if you buy just one album that you end up not liking......

still waiting.

there is no hardwear yet that supports it as yet.

idc

JohnDuncan:........... £10 a month would pay for itself in no time for you if you buy just one album that you end up not liking......

...........and the albums you have access to that you would not have otherwise bought..............and the albums which have only one track you like so you might have paid 79p or so to get the download............it all adds up.............and discovering bands who had one hit album, but they also have a whole load of other albums that were not promoted, but are just as good.

John Duncan

Yes yes, as I was still discovering at 2am. All we need now is a convenient way of adding it to my streaming options and my credit card is on the table. At least until it goes under because it can't possibly survive, can it?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Yes yes, as I was still discovering at 2am. All we need now is a convenient way of adding it to my streaming options and my credit card is on the table. At least until it goes under because it can't possibly survive, can it?

The Slimdevices (Squeezebox) development team are apparently working on integration with Spotify.

In the meantime, posters on the Slimdevices forum talk about a "Waveinput plugin".

I am not IT literate enough to understand this - I have not tried it in case I mess up the settings on my Duet. Here's the link if it helps:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin

idc

Just playing catch up and class thicky. Because I am hard wired by USB cable to my DAC I can listen to Spotify through my system, but you cannot because you use wireless to connect PC to DAC, is that right?

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Much as i like to keep my PC and main Hi-Fi separate - i do have a desire to try and link up spotify so will watch the squeezebox situation closely.

I guess an Airport Express and Airfoil could work to stream Spotify from the PC ?

I will probably invest in either the Airport or the Squeezebox eventually - although using the Itouch to stream internet radio works very well too.

John Duncan

idc:Just playing catch up and class thicky. Because I am hard wired by USB cable to my DAC I can listen to Spotify through my system, but you cannot because you use wireless to connect PC to DAC, is that right?

No I can play it using Airfoil, but I can't control it, except by using remote control of my Mac's desktop, which was impractical.

daveh75

JohnDuncan: All we need now is a convenient way of adding it to my streaming options and my credit card is on the table. Can you not use Airfoil to stream it to your AE's.

Doh,you beat me to it.

There is a Spotify remote APP available for controlling mac's,though dont think it work's with i-phone/touch

Clicky

daveh75

heystak:JohnDuncan:Yes yes, as I was still discovering at 2am. All we need now is a convenient way of adding it to my streaming options and my credit card is on the table. At least until it goes under because it can't possibly survive, can it? The Slimdevices (Squeezebox) development team are apparently working on integration with Spotify. In the meantime, posters on the Slimdevices forum talk about a "Waveinput plugin". I am not IT literate enough to understand this - I have not tried it in case I mess up the settings on my Duet. Here's the link if it helps: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin I have been doing some reading up on the WaveInput plug-in on the Spotify Blog's,and it seem's,from what i can gather, the plug-in is unstable if you can get it to work at all, and you cant control Spotify from the SB remote.You have to control it from a pc.

A

Anonymous

daveh75:heystak:JohnDuncan:Yes yes, as I was still discovering at 2am. All we need now is a convenient way of adding it to my streaming options and my credit card is on the table. At least until it goes under because it can't possibly survive, can it? The Slimdevices (Squeezebox) development team are apparently working on integration with Spotify. In the meantime, posters on the Slimdevices forum talk about a "Waveinput plugin". I am not IT literate enough to understand this - I have not tried it in case I mess up the settings on my Duet. Here's the link if it helps: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin I have been doing some reading up on the WaveInput plug-in on the Spotify Blog's,and it seem's,from what i can gather, the plug-in is unstable if you can get it to work at all, and you cant control Spotify from the SB remote.You have to control it from a pc.

Its still Spotify / laptop on knee with 5m USB cable for me then - until there's a Squeezebox solution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts