How good is the Tannoy precision 6.2 or XT6Fcompared with Kef 500?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I had bought a old kef refence model one speaker but the tweeter of one has gone so i cancelled it.i saw now nice prices for the Tannoy precision 6.2 but never heard a Tannoy. How do they sound compared with Kef and are they suitable for bad recordings like metal and rock? There is also the XT6F. Soundwise like the Kef r500?

record_spot

peterpan said:
I had bought a old kef refence model one speaker but the tweeter of one has gone so i cancelled it.i saw now nice prices for the Tannoy precision 6.2 but never heard a Tannoy. How do they sound compared with Kef and are they suitable for bad recordings like metal and rock? There is also the XT6F. Soundwise like the Kef r500?

I have to say I'nm really very impressed with my Tannoys - they remind me of the Mission 75 series I had, and if anything improve on the 751s I had years ago. The Tannoy DC4 is a dual concentric speaker too, much like the bigger DC6 and the two floorstanders you mention.

The DC4 is obviously somewhat different being a fairly small (but really rather excellent) standmount. That said, I use mine for all types of music - rock, metal, folk, classical and so on. Throw in the TV, movie and not forgetting game duties and they're a great all rounder. I do think metal tweeters suffer from an often unfair bad press; in the DC4 case it's wonderfully integrated bot by design and the resulting sound with the main driver. The larger speakers you're interested in would benefit just as readily I'd imagine.

In terms of sound, I'd suggest you'd expect to hear a very open and detailed sound, but not at the expense of a very musical whole and with a stereo image that's both mile wide, but pinpoints to a tee. That's the benefit of dual concentrics I believe (in terms of the stereo width). In terms of build, they'll be finished to a high quality and having seen the Precision 6.1, then I can confirm they look the part with their gloss wood finish.

I almost went for the Precision 6.1s a few months ago, however they're just a little too big for my room and, to be honest, I'm as delighted with the DC4s now as I was when I bought them in 2011. They've been great speakers and what they lack in physical stature, they make up for with a big performance. I'd expect the same from their bigger brothers in the 6.2s or the new Revolution 6s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts