Looking for experiences with Tannoy

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Has somebody experiences with the Tannoy xt6f? Is it like the dc6t still on the bright side and not suitable for rock and forgiving for bad records? Here in Holland it is very difficult to find a dealer who has the Tannoy's. Till now i think about the Epos k2 and Kef r300 (find it better than the r500 who sound not dynamic and a little boring with rock).

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
loneranger said:
?

Has somebody experiences with the Tannoy xt6f? Is it like the dc6t still on the bright side and not suitable for rock and forgiving for bad records? Here in Holland it is very difficult to find a dealer who has the Tannoy's. Till now i think about the Epos k2 and Kef r300 (find it better than the r500 who sound not dynamic and a little boring with rock).

?

?

?

Ill post the hifi choice review here for you later tomorrow..

Ive had experience with tannoy dc6 and loved the presentation and i listen to heavy s h i t

loneranger said:

From the above post you might see that everyones opinion of what is or what is not suitable for rock is going to vary from your own. There is no other way but to go and audition for yourself/

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! On most speakers today rock sounds very bad with bright highes. But i like also a dynamic sound which hasn't Kef. The Epos sounded a bit soft. Maybe not a speaker for rock, but more for classical and jazz. The Tannoy looks very beautiful and it is in my budget. And seems easy to drive ( i have a nad c356 amp). Can this for me the holy gral?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. Your problem stems from "amp matching".

Ideally, the R300/R500 needs a quality amp, with plenty of current. Also, if you match warm sounding speakers with a warm sounding amp, you will get an unexciting sound.

I think that Tannoy might be a better match with Nad. If it was me, I'd keep the Kefs and look at amps like Creek 100A, Arcam A39, Rega Elicit or Hegel H80, which are much more likely to give you the dynamic, exciting but smooth sound that you are after.

CnoEvil said:
IMO. Your problem stems from "amp matching".

Ideally, the R300/R500 needs a quality amp, with plenty of current. Also, if you match warm sounding speakers with a warm sounding amp, you will get an unexciting sound.

I think that Tannoy might be a better match with Nad. If it was me, I'd keep the Kefs and look at amps like Creek 100A, Arcam A39, Rega Elicit or Hegel H80, which are much more likely to give you the dynamic, exciting but smooth sound that you are after.

+1

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I've heard the Kef's with a Exposure 3010S2D amp. But the Kef's gives a unexcited, boring sound. No fun. The R300 was better than the R500. Fuller sounding with better bass.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
loneranger said:
I've heard the Kef's with a Exposure 3010S2D amp. But the Kef's gives a unexcited, boring sound. No fun. The R300 was better than the R500. Fuller sounding with better bass.
The Exposure amp should have sounded a lot better, depending on the source that was used....but Exposure IMO gives a big, creamy, natural sound, which is quite similar to the R300/500...but saying all that, it's quite possible the Kefs are not for you, so I think that ATC might work better (as well as Tannoy).

I hear things quite differently to you, as I thought the R500 was much fuller sounding than the R300s.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I like a lively dynamic sound without harsness and brightness. The Kef's are not dynamic, but my music sounded flat on it. But the R300 has no brightness, not at all. But unfortunalety the R300 projected voices behind the speakers. I don't like that. The Epos K2 wasn't bad, but i dubt if it is the right speaker for my music. Monitor Audio Silver 6/8 sounded enthousiastic, but horrible.

The bad thing is a Tannoy dealer is more than 100 km away from me. I know, i must hear the speaker by myself. But i try to estimate if the trip is worthwhile.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I listened to the DC6T SE's, and thought they had good clarity, quite smooth, but where was the bass? It's no wonder folks keep wanting to add subs with this trend towards small drivers.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I once heard the dc 6, which had a very fine sound with good 'space' and was nicely balanced overall. It sounded alike my Epos ES 11's.

Bass depends much on placement, don't forget. And standmounts are much tighter in bass. Best audition speakers at home.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Next week the Tannoy arrives at a dealer. This dealer also has Epos and i can compare the Tannoy xt6f with the Epos K2 and which of them sounded best with rock and metal like Nightwish and Sirenia.

TRENDING THREADS