How good is OLED!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Canary_Jules said:
Of course I would encourage you to because there was a distinct improvement after calibration.
Cheers.

Oled is improving as 4k TFT LCD TV in its 3rd generation guise in the 2015 range.
But take you time with OLED....£6.5 thousand pounds is still silly money for a must have 65 inch TV given what other AV gear you can buy.Wait and better still wait.....It will be hard.
With 1080P showing its age in a world of quad hd and UHD.
I would wait till 4k bluray is released.No better way to 'christen' the Oled purchase with a blockbuster movie.
With Philips high end TV exit but still in the background not much faith with the Sony and Samsungs offering in 4k TFT LCD.More marketing than tech offering....

Want to see a 21.9 ratio Oled or LED screen format for those movies.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Would like to hear more from Gel on the picture quality with different sources...I really fancy the 930 it looks fab on demos but I haven't seen it showing the same demo up against the 4k Samsungs Sonys etc. my sources would be -

Denon (as below) bluray and DVD upscaled to 1080p

freeview HD

HD on-demand movies

BBC iPlayer on demand via Humax YouView upscaled to 1080p

Freeview SD (not all the time, but occasionally)

So how does Gel's TV fare with SD, or do you just not watch it? I have had 2 salespeople now advise me to take out a basic Sky package @ £25pm just so I have HD on most channels. Is SD just not doable with screens of 48" plus??

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
HDNumpty said:
So how does Gel's TV fare with SD, or do you just not watch it? I have had 2 salespeople now advise me to take out a basic Sky package @ £25pm just so I have HD on most channels. Is SD just not doable with screens of 48" plus??

I think that it depends on how good the upscaling on your television is. I watch a lot of Freeview channels 5, 37 (Quest) and 68 (TruTV) on a 42" HD Ready (so, not Full HD) 42" Pioneer 428XD, on a 60" LG 950ZT,and on a 65" Panasonic VT65. Freeview SD is not as good as Freeview HD, but on these three machines SD is perfectly watchable. Oddly enough on my fourth (and most expensive) television, a highly-regarded Pioneer LX5090, 50", I think that SD looks slightly less good than on the other three machines.

D

Deleted member 2457

HDNumpty said:
Would like to hear more from Gel on the picture quality with different sources...I really fancy the 930 it looks fab on demos but I haven't seen it showing the same demo up against the 4k Samsungs Sonys etc. my sources would be -

Denon (as below) bluray and DVD upscaled to 1080p

freeview HD

HD on-demand movies

BBC iPlayer on demand via Humax YouView upscaled to 1080p

Freeview SD (not all the time, but occasionally)

Hi, first of all OLED is superb! It's definitely the best TV you can buy. I have watched mine on freeview in John Lewis and it was the same as other TVs. I watch mine on Sky HD and Sky normal and it's very very good with both. DVD is very good too and Blu-Ray is very good too. I am delighted with my TV.

I am sorry I don't use the other sources, although based on everything else in my view there shouldn't be a problem. Here is an owners thread I created and post some pictures:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/lg-55ea980w-owners-thread

Any other questions just ask.

D

Deleted member 2457

hybridauth_Facebook_100000090351445 said:
No choice in picking a Plasma PDP over Oled so the latter is the best. But 4k is the defining future standard for years to come so anyone jumping in for a quick Oled 1080p bargine is going to have to spend out again....very soon. Difficult to resist. 4K TV in 2D is 'no hype' so I think to call it a hype is been disengenerous ,but....4K TV in 3D is hype ;so glad to see we wouldn't see any 4k 3D blurays or streaming material. The bluray disc association lobby have finalised the guidelines.No 4K 3D. LG is looking to sell a million 4k Oled sets worldwide this year. That is certainly is doable.
Good call, waiting for the new models might be the way to go. The 930 should come down in price too.

No choice in picking a full hdPlasma PDP over an Oled so the latter is the 'best' but by default.
4k is the defining future standard for years to come so anyone jumping in for a quick Oled 1080p bargine is going to have to spend again....very soon. Difficult to resist the lure.
4K TV in 2D is 'no hype' so I think to call it a hype is been disengenerous ,but....4K TV in 3D is a fading hype ;so glad to see we wouldn't be seeing any 4k 3D blurays or streaming source.
The bluray disc association lobby have finalised the blueray guidelines.No 4K 3D disks....dead.
LG is looking to sell one million 4k Oled sets worldwide this year.
That is certainly is doable.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_100000090351445 said:
No choice in picking a full hdPlasma PDP over an Oled so the latter is the 'best' but by default. 4k is the defining future standard for years to come so anyone jumping in for a quick Oled 1080p bargine is going to have to spend again....very soon. Difficult to resist the lure. 4K TV in 2D is 'no hype' so I think to call it a hype is been disengenerous ,but....4K TV in 3D is a fading hype ;so glad to see we wouldn't be seeing any 4k 3D blurays or streaming source. The bluray disc association lobby have finalised the blueray guidelines.No 4K 3D disks....dead. LG is looking to sell one million 4k Oled sets worldwide this year. That is certainly is doable.
Selling an item in large quantities does not always boli dwn to performance but also excellent marketing.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
HDNumpty and What the Tech, you don't seem to have realised that the current LG OLED model that you can buy, the 55EC930V is not, repeat NOT, the same as the previous 55EA980W model that gel has. So it's not really relevant to you for gel to tell you how good his model is, you can't buy his model any more! The current 55EC930V has had some good reviews, but some qualified ones as well, unlike gel's model, which was almost universally praised, especially now in retrospect compared to the current, inferior, model. I could develop this argument if both of you are still listening, but if not, and you do go ahead and buy the current LG OLED, the 55EC930V, I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase. It is still a good television, just not as good as gel's model, and not as good as other televisions available now for the same money.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
HDNumpty and What the Tech, you don't seem to have realised that the current LG OLED model that you can buy, the 55EC930V is not, repeat NOT, the same as the previous 55EA980W model that gel has. So it's not really relevant to you for gel to tell you how good his model is, you can't buy his model any more! The current 55EC930V has had some good reviews, but some qualified ones as well, unlike gel's model, which was almost universally praised, especially now in retrospect compared to the current, inferior, model. I could develop this argument if both of you are still listening, but if not, and you do go ahead and buy the current LG OLED, the 55EC930V, I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase. It is still a good television, just not as good as gel's model, and not as good as other televisions available now for the same money.
Agreed. I am not sure with the new model, it gets good reviews but when I demoed it, the picture on freeview looked terrible with green tint issues but then on the LG demo it was stunning! Work that one out?

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I would agree. The current OLED is the only alternative to me now plasma has gone. I would NEVER purchase an lcd should my VT die, although still covered under warranty for the next 3.5 years I'm safe for now.

ive seen the same tv as gels OLED calibrated at the shoot out in Leeds last year and is a very good tv and in my opinion is on par with the ZT & VT. I've not seen the latest OLED's but they won't be bad, they will be far superior to any lcd in terms of deep inky blacks and fantastic colour reproduction.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Agreed. I am not sure with the new model, it gets good reviews but when I demoed it, the picture on freeview looked terrible with green tint issues but then on the LG demo it was stunning! Work that one out?

before my VT was calibrated, I had a green tint on skin tones, but once calibrated by Vincent, all green was gone.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

So in that case, gel, why on earth did you say, in post number 57, that

gel said:
Hi, first of all OLED is superb! It's definitely the best TV you can buy. I have watched mine on freeview in John Lewis and it was the same as other TVs. I watch mine on Sky HD and Sky normal and it's very very good with both. DVD is very good too and Blu-Ray is very good too. I am delighted with my TV.

when HDNumpty and What the Tech can't buy YOUR television any more??? And then giving a link to a thread about YOUR television is just misleading! That thread is not valid for any potential new purchaser.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I think gel is saying OLED is very good and then goes to say the latest had a green tint and not as good as the older version(his).

its good to have comparisons isn't it, even I still compare my plasma( which is now dead) to OLED ...

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

So in that case, gel, why on earth did you say, in post number 57, that

gel said:

when HDNumpty and What the Tech can't buy YOUR television any more??? And then giving a link to a thread about YOUR television is just misleading! That thread is not valid for any potential new purchaser.
I was talking about mine and what the reviews said about the new one. If you believe everything you see and read you won't buy any TV! My thread is on my TV, and according to LG. And your mate Steve Withers it's the same TV.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
I think gel is saying OLED is very good and then goes to say the latest had a green tint and not as good as the older version(his).

its good to have comparisons isn't it, even I still compare my plasma( which is now dead) to OLED ...
Yep, that is exactly what I was trying to say. It isn't always that easy to give advice, from what you hear and see.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

before my VT was calibrated, I had a green tint on skin tones, but once calibrated by Vincent, all green was gone.
I am currently posting on a thread on AVForums about the tint on OLED TVs, and I am going to take pictures from John Lewis on the tint. From what I can workout only Freeview shows the tint, but on a usb stick there is no tint. So someone has asked me to post pictures, which I will.

D

Deleted member 2457

I almost always recommend to buy from John Lewis that way you can return it if any problems.

D

Deleted member 2457

You ask anyone in the know OLED is the best TV by far. It beats plasma quite easily.

gel said:
Series1boy said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Agreed.  I am not sure with the new model, it gets good reviews but when I demoed it, the picture on freeview looked terrible with green tint issues but then on the LG demo it was stunning!  Work that one out?

I am currently posting on a thread on AVForums about the tint on OLED TVs, and I am going to take pictures from John Lewis on the tint.  From what I can workout only Freeview shows the tint, but on a usb stick there is no tint.  So someone has asked me to post pictures, which I will.  

Sounds like an issue with the Freeview feed and not the TV itself.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

I am currently posting on a thread on AVForums about the tint on OLED TVs, and I am going to take pictures from John Lewis on the tint. From what I can workout only Freeview shows the tint, but on a usb stick there is no tint. So someone has asked me to post pictures, which I will.

Sounds like an issue with the Freeview feed and not the TV itself.
The other TVs in there are fine though.