How good is OLED!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I'll give this one more go, then I'll leave What the Tech and HDNumpty to buy an OLED television which is not as good as yours, influenced by your lavish praise of your model, which is not available any more.

So in post number 57, when you said

gel said:
Hi, first of all OLED is superb! It's definitely the best TV you can buy.

That applies even though HDNumpty and What the Tech CANNOT buy your 980W model any more?

gel said:
And your mate Steve Withers it's the same TV.

There is a least one word missing from that phrase, because it's impossible to understand.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
You ask anyone in the know OLED is the best TV by far. It beats plasma quite easily.

Didn't people at a Leeds shootout, I think it was, vote the Panasonic ZT as the best, with your 980W OLED as second place? Not exactly beating plasma easily.

Anyway I'm pleased for you that you are so happy with your OLED television, as I am with all four of my plasmas in their different ways. I just don't find it necessary to continually tell everyone that my television is the best. Especially as your model of OLED has something in common with all my plasmas - they are all extinct! Hence your telling people how good your own model OLED is tips over from legitimate pleasure in ownership of a very fine (but not perfect) product and into unwholesome gloating, because nobody else can now buy it.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
The ZT(reference status) was definitely better at the Leeds shootout. The OLED couldn't display blues as natural as it should be but had deeper blacks, not by much and was too dark. The ZT showed more shadow detail in darker scenes and the colours were more natural than the OLED.

the OLED may better than my VT and Gels, but it won't be miles apart for sure..

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
You make two useful points, Series1boy. One, everyone goes on about OLED blacks but the blacks on the VT65 models that you and I both have are not too shabby! And that model OLED at the shootout, gel's 980W, was indeed a bit dark, something that the current 930V is also. Second point, I don't see the point of super-dark blacks without shadow detail in the blacks! The Home Cinema Choice review (admittedy other reviews said the opposite) of the 930V said that it didn't have exceptional shadow detail. One reason that I so pleased that I bought the last Panasonic 65VT65 plasma is that it is clear that it has substantially deeper blacks than my much-maligned (but still beloved) LG 60PZ950T plasma in the kitchen, AND, as a consequence, the Panasonic is much better with shadow detail in the dark areas. (Mind you, the LG is just as good as the Panasonic at everything else, including motion handling that OLEDs are not great at. We'll see if I change my mind after Mr Steve Withers calibrates the Panasonic, but that won't be for at least two months, can't afford it just now.) But I don't see the point of very deep blacks without shadow detail in the black areas.

D

Deleted member 2457

Let's get one thing straight OLED is the best, ask Steve Withers ask Canary Jules ask what hifi. OLED is the best.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
You make two useful points, Series1boy. One, everyone goes on about OLED blacks but the blacks on the VT65 models that you and I both have are not too shabby! And that model OLED at the shootout, gel's 980W, was indeed a bit dark, something that the current 930V is also. Second point, I don't see the point of super-dark blacks without shadow detail in the blacks! The Home Cinema Choice review (admittedy other reviews said the opposite) of the 930V said that it didn't have exceptional shadow detail. One reason that I so pleased that I bought the last Panasonic 65VT65 plasma is that it is clear that it has substantially deeper blacks than my much-maligned (but still beloved) LG 60PZ950T plasma in the kitchen, AND, as a consequence, the Panasonic is much better with shadow detail in the dark areas. (Mind you, the LG is just as good as the Panasonic at everything else, including motion handling that OLEDs are not great at. We'll see if I change my mind after Mr Steve Withers calibrates the Panasonic, but that won't be for at least two months, can't afford it just now.) But I don't see the point of very deep blacks without shadow detail in the black areas.
Ask Steve Withers what's the best TV then?

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
The ZT(reference status) was definitely better at the Leeds shootout. The OLED couldn't display blues as natural as it should be but had deeper blacks, not by much and was too dark. The ZT showed more shadow detail in darker scenes and the colours were more natural than the OLED.

the OLED may better than my VT and Gels, but it won't be miles apart for sure..
It is pretty big ask Steve Withers, Canary Jules What Hifi, 4K is pants OLED is where it's at!

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
I'll give this one more go, then I'll leave What the Tech and HDNumpty to buy an OLED television which is not as good as yours, influenced by your lavish praise of your model, which is not available any more.

So in post number 57, when you said

gel said:
Hi, first of all OLED is superb! It's definitely the best TV you can buy.

That applies even though HDNumpty and What the Tech CANNOT buy your 980W model any more?

gel said:
And your mate Steve Withers it's the same TV.

There is a least one word missing from that phrase, because it's impossible to understand.
Yet again I say ask LG about the TV then not me you prat!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Calm down gel.
Apologies there, but how many times do I have to explain myself? LG say it's the same TV, Steve Withers is reporting its the same. So if mine is good surely the other one is good.

gel said:
bigboss said:
Calm down gel.
Apologies there, but how many times do I have to explain myself?  LG say it's the same TV, Steve Withers is reporting its the same.  So if mine is good surely the other one is good.

I think what's confusing is that you yourself said 930V was rubbish as compared to your 980W few times in the past and now you're saying this.

Anyway, doesn't matter since OLED is still the best buy at the current price.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
Calm down gel.
Apologies there, but how many times do I have to explain myself? LG say it's the same TV, Steve Withers is reporting its the same. So if mine is good surely the other one is good.

I think what's confusing is that you yourself said 930V was rubbish as compared to your 980W few times in the past and now you're saying this.

Anyway, doesn't matter since OLED is still the best buy at the current price.
From what I've seen its not right, but everyone else says its the best and is the same as my TV. So I was recommending it on the expert opinion. What else are you going to buy? Sod all. It was the same with Panasonic plasmas I was recommending them last year and you said you would never buy a Panasonic TV. All TVs have their faults within the range, the secret is to get a good one. I am sure there are some very good 930 TVs out there. People on AV have reported mixed reviews on theirs. Some are saying the tint is a problem and some are not. What else would you have me say?

D

Deleted member 2457

I was gloating either I was merely praising a TV that is well worthy of it. So what? So shoot me!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Someone has compared the 2 TVs side by side here:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled-55ea980w-or-lg-55ec930v.1913791/

cheers.

gel said:
It was the same with Panasonic plasmas I was recommending them last year and you said you would never buy a Panasonic TV.  

The only reason I bought a Panasonic was because you had used it for a few months and no issues cropped up. Besides, it came with a John Lewis warranty. No issues with the TV so far, but if I were to buy new, I won't buy a Panasonic. I don't think Panasonic will be making TVs anymore by the time it's time for me to upgrade. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
It was the same with Panasonic plasmas I was recommending them last year and you said you would never buy a Panasonic TV.

The only reason I bought a Panasonic was because you had used it for a few months and no issues cropped up. Besides, it came with a John Lewis warranty. No issues with the TV so far, but if I were to buy new, I won't buy a Panasonic. I don't think Panasonic will be making TVs anymore by the time it's time for me to upgrade. :)
Thats fair enough. You were only reporting on what you heard about them, which is all I have done. In the AV thread the 930 one I saw was rubbish but on the LG demo material it is amazing!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
It's hard to believe that the same person wrote this at post 62 of this thread.

gel said:
Agreed. I am not sure with the new model, it gets good reviews but when I demoed it, the picture on freeview looked terrible with green tint issues but then on the LG demo it was stunning! Work that one out?

And then this at post 86:

gel said:
LG say it's the same TV, Steve Withers is reporting its the same. So if mine is good surely the other one is good.

And by the way, Steve Withers does NOT say that the new 930V is the same as your model 980W. If you go to the conclusion section of his AVForums review he says "The 55EC930 isn't quite as impressive as the 55EA980 that we reviewed at the start of the year and there are a number of issues that prevent us from awarding a Reference Status badge."

But all this is secondary to the psychological point. Sure, your OLED is good, but why on earth do you need to keep shouting about it??

D

Deleted member 2457

I am out of this thread, but I will say what I want when I want, if you have a problem with that deal with it!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I was gloating either I was merely praising a TV that is well worthy of it. So what? So shoot me!

Don't type so fast, or read over your posts before pressing Save. I'm sure that you meant to say "I wasn't gloating".

What type of bullets would you like?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
No issues with the TV so far, but if I were to buy new, I won't buy a Panasonic. I don't think Panasonic will be making TVs anymore by the time it's time for me to upgrade. :)

I did buy a new Panasonic, mind you, it had been sitting at Richer Sounds for quite a while, and no issues so far either! *smile*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
All TVs have their faults within the range, the secret is to get a good one. I am sure there are some very good 930 TVs out there. People on AV have reported mixed reviews on theirs. Some are saying the tint is a problem and some are not.

On that I will agree with you, even if I am a prat who also doesn't think that stereo analogue outputs on a blu-ray player are a joke.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts