How good is OLED!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Have any of you read March edition of home cinema choice with the article re plasma, LCD and OLED from Vincent teoh?

Yes plasma is now longer in production, so we can all agree that OLED is the best picture on a tv you can buy now, brand new from a retailer.

however, I can only go with my own eyes and others at the Leeds shootout and walked away very confident I had a very good tv. The LG has issues as does my plasma, but I and many others agreed the ZT was far better and still is.

steve withers has said OLED has the best blacks than any other tv he has seen to date, even the kuro. But it still has issues, calibration controls, colour issues etc.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Guys, please stop now. Are you alright gel?
I am cool mate, a bit drunk last night but okay today.*smile* Again if I upset anyone last night then I apologies.

I am trying to describe whats going on with the OLEDs from what I have seen on AV Forums on this thread herehttps://www.avforums.com/threads/does-calibration-sort-out-the-tint-issues-on-the-oled-930.1939535/#post-21756636

I still havent got the green tint yet, today it was looking sensational from the pictures in John Lewis. I will take more pictures to show you what I have seen, but here is the 930 OLED looking great!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
bigboss said:
I am cool mate, a bit drunk last night but okay today.*smile* Again if I upset anyone last night then I apologies.

I am trying to describe whats going on with the OLEDs from what I have seen on AV Forums on this thread herehttps://www.avforums.com/threads/does-calibration-sort-out-the-tint-issues-on-the-oled-930.1939535/#post-21756636

I still havent got the green tint yet, today it was looking sensational from the pictures in John Lewis. I will take more pictures to show you what I have seen, but here is the 930 OLED looking great!

dangerous is drinking and social media-ring :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

Amen! *smile*

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Series1boy said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

I do it all the time. *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
Series1boy said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

I do it all the time. *smile*
I have noticed. Lol. *smile*

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
You make two useful points, Series1boy. One, everyone goes on about OLED blacks but the blacks on the VT65 models that you and I both have are not too shabby! And that model OLED at the shootout, gel's 980W, was indeed a bit dark, something that the current 930V is also. Second point, I don't see the point of super-dark blacks without shadow detail in the blacks! The Home Cinema Choice review (admittedy other reviews said the opposite) of the 930V said that it didn't have exceptional shadow detail. One reason that I so pleased that I bought the last Panasonic 65VT65 plasma is that it is clear that it has substantially deeper blacks than my much-maligned (but still beloved) LG 60PZ950T plasma in the kitchen, AND, as a consequence, the Panasonic is much better with shadow detail in the dark areas. (Mind you, the LG is just as good as the Panasonic at everything else, including motion handling that OLEDs are not great at. We'll see if I change my mind after Mr Steve Withers calibrates the Panasonic, but that won't be for at least two months, can't afford it just now.) But I don't see the point of very deep blacks without shadow detail in the black areas.
As per the blacks on the 930 they are very black. But also as stated above shadows were not very good in dark sences on the 930. I have not seen the 980 in action so cnt comment on that. I was finding myself constantly adjusting blacklight and brightness between dark & bright sences. Bright sences were too bright & dark sences too dark. I have seen sony sets handle darks far better than the 930. Yes over all the contrast of the 930 cannot be reached by any set currently available but thats not the whole story.

Am still looking forward to the new breed of LG's OLED, hopefully they may handle the stituation better. Main while my sony set is doing just fine. Even the blacks are not that far off from the 930's.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Meanwhile my sony set is doing just fine. Even the blacks are not that far off from the 930's.

I'm glad that you are so pleased with your Sony KDL 60W855BBU, after the disappointment of the JL OLED EC55930V. Interesting that you say that its black level is not far short of the OLED's. But, if you were to get your Sony calibrated, it would perform even better. I'm not saying that its black level would be any better, but everything else would be. I've had four televisions calibrated, it does make a difference on even a television that is good to start with, the image seems to "pop" off the screen more after calibration! It would be a very good £200 to £250 investment, if you still have the extra money left over from the refund on the OLED!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Native_bon said:
Meanwhile my sony set is doing just fine. Even the blacks are not that far off from the 930's.

I'm glad that you are so pleased with your Sony KDL 60W855BBU, after the disappointment of the JL OLED EC55930V. Interesting that you say that its black level is not far short of the OLED's. But, if you were to get your Sony calibrated, it would perform even better. I'm not saying that its black level would be any better, but everything else would be. I've had four televisions calibrated, it does make a difference on even a television that is good to start with, the image seems to "pop" off the screen more after calibration! It would be a very good £200 to £250 investment, if you still have the extra money left over from the refund on the OLED!
Thats a good piont, but with the sony never really had the feeling to calibrate, so that says something in its self. I may just do that now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts