How Do You Normally Set Your Tone Controls?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. Bass and Treble go hand in hand. But how do you regulate the sound (richness and warmth) of your hi-fi or home cinema? What dB do you normally set your tone controls? Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi I personally use the tone defeat option because I do find that it interferes with the sound quality when I adjust the controls.

T

the record spot

My amp's tone control free, I went for the components to give me the sound I wanted.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Where fitted, either flat or preferably bypassed.
How do you bypass the tone controls?

A

Anonymous

If your amp has a tone defeat function in, then you are able to bypass.

A

Anonymous

hi fi newbie:

If your amp has a tone defeat function in, then you are able to bypass.
Thanks. Can you find tone defeat in av receivers? Sorry mate I'm a bit innocent on this I thought all amps and receivers have tone controls.

matthewpiano

WHY???? Surely its about having it set to give the best sound for the CD or record you are listening to at the time? Non system can make every disc sound right and some recordings just require a bit of tweaking. Some of the DG recordings, for example, benefit from very slight treble lift to stop them sounding muddy.

A

Anonymous

liujol:Hi. Bass and Treble go hand in hand. But how do you regulate the sound (richness and warmth) of your hi-fi or home cinema? What dB do you normally set your tone controls? Thanks

Forget about dBs. Twiddle 'em till you like the sound.

I believe that bypassing the tone controls degrades the sound - you lose depth, detail and punch and some would say the sound is "tinny." This goes for the makes I've heard i.e. Arcam, Marantz and Rotel.

I mentioned this on my thread, "Lights out, please!" and in my humble opionion manufacturers are spinning a lot of "mumbo jumbo."

A

Anonymous

Does flat mean 0db? I've adjusted my bass and treble to this value and I reckon it worked superbly. I also reckon that bypassing or (tone defeat) is the same as Pure Audio.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

I believe that bypassing the tone controls degrades the sound - you lose depth, detail and punch and some would say the sound is "tinny." This goes for the makes I've heard i.e. Arcam, Marantz and Rotel.

I mentioned this on my thread, "Lights out, please!" and in my humble opionion manufacturers are spinning a lot of "mumbo jumbo."

IMO until we reach the hi fi nirvana of perfect speakers and perfect recordings there is nothing wrong with using tone controls. If it sounds good, do it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, flat means 0dB. And tone defeat is called a variety of things, including Pure Direct, Source Direct and so on.

To the comment that using tone defeat makes the sound tinny, all I can suggest is that the tone defeat/bypass switching can't be very well implemented, or that its use is showing up deficiencies elsewhere in the system, which are masekd by colorations introduced with the tone controls in circuit.

Done right, tone bypass/defeat simply switches the tone controls out of circuit, thus shortening the signal path.

And re the comment about using tone controls to address deficiencies in recordings, I can only say I use the controls very rarely, and extremely sparingly.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just say no! (Tone control addiction is a terrible thing to behold.)

]
picture-19.jpg

(He has already worn out his left thumb from trying to find the 'perfect' settings.)

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Yes! While we're at it lets all get graphic equalisers....

Seriously though if a little tweak here or there makes a bad recording sound better, then fair dos. But for me I haven't shelled out thousands to re-create music as faithfully to the original as possible just so that I can then go and deliberately alter the way that recording sounds! High Fidelity - the clue's in the name!

A

Anonymous

I set them to whatever sounds the best.

my kit,

my ears,

my music.

Do the same and enjoy your music.

Kel.

matthewpiano

Dan Turner:
Yes! While we're at it lets all get graphic equalisers....

Seriously though if a little tweak here or there makes a bad recording sound better, then fair dos. But for me I haven't shelled out thousands to re-create music as faithfully to the original as possible just so that I can then go and deliberately alter the way that recording sounds! High Fidelity - the clue's in the name!

Fidelity to what? The recording process used? The sound of musicians multi-tracking in a studio? What exactly are we defining with the label 'original'?

I find the whole FIDELITY thing a bit ironic really because whichever way you look at it, fidelity to the sound of live musicians playing real instruments together at the same time aint never going to be possible.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I don't need to use to use tone controls as I'm very happy with the sound.

In my car however, I have a Kenwood CD player on which I turn down the treble and up the bass as without it, it sounds awful.

A

Anonymous

Hi. Thanks for all your interesting comments. Personally, I use the tone controls depending on the type of music that I listen to. When its up beat tempo, disco or rock I use more bass than treble (with subwoofer on). Whenever I listen to smooth jazz, classical or pop I make the tone controls flat (0dB) (with the subwoofer off). When it comes to movies, I also use from flat (0dB) to (+6db) but (with subwoofer on). Most of the time I see to it that my treble and bass are in equilibrium. Ever since I began to love music, I never disable the tone controls or put them to minus(-dB).

A

Anonymous

"Re: How Do You Normally Set Your Tone Controls?"

To "off". Faffing about and worrying about the exact adjustments to make each album / track sound perfect would detract from my enjoyment of music. Also, I'm lazy.

A

Anonymous

I don't have any either but whatever turns someone on - equalizer, tone, subwoofer etc. is good enough for them.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts