how do you make a cheap streamer sound good

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So, in a freakish accident, my Marantz NA 7004 fell and broke. It still hurts :cry: However, my wife felt bad for me and got me a Grace Digital internet radio player (GDI IRD4500m). It streams FLAC as well which was what I was doing with the NA 7004. Although I prefer listening to CDs, I do have a decent collection of FLAC. The store my wife got it from told her its cheaper but sounds just as good (wait till I get my hands on that guy). To be honest, it sounds like ..... well you get the picture. Now i don't want to hurt her feelings and decided on keeping it. I use a Marantz PM 7004 and drive Mission MX 5 floorstanders with it. Is there anything i can use (a DAC or something) to make that ******** streamer sound any better?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Do you still have the NA7004, is it completely totalled ?

I was thinking you could connect your new streamer via the optical in to use the Marantzes DAC.

otherwise, purchasing a seperate DACto sit between your streamer and amp. They range from a very modest amount to big money. Whatever your budget there should be something out there.

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
I would take it back. She is sure to be understanding & is likely to prefer you having something you appreciate than something you don't.

At the end of the day the decision was not entirely hers and that way you would also be able to get your hands on the bloke and he'll never do that again. You will be happy, your wife will be happy and the bloke in the shop would be happy that he learnt something......................

It might be worth you considering your home contents policy? are you covered for accidental damage?

A

Anonymous

richardw42 said:
Do you still have the NA7004, is it completely totalled ?

I was thinking you could connect your new streamer via the optical in to use the Marantzes DAC.

otherwise, purchasing a seperate DACto sit between your streamer and amp. They range from a very modest amount to big money. Whatever your budget there should be something out there.

Nah it completely totalled. Any suggestion for a DAC within 150 - 200 USD?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
You're in the USA ?

Obviously things are a little different as I'm sure there may be items available to you that we don't get and vice versa. Also probably some disparity in prices which seems usual for hi Fi products worldwide.

Something like this should be the sort of thing to look at.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/beresford-tc-7510

if possible I'd try to get it going with your streamer (on loan) to see if it works for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts