How do you look after your records

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Well to keeps things brief I was wondering what sort of drill do you go through to keep your vinyl in tip top condition.Some of my LPs are the best part of 40 years old and I want them to be enjoyed by my grand kids too.

I have bought a Knosti anti-static cleaner which seems to do a good job,also I have a velvet anti static brush which I let the disc rub on for a few turns before playing.I have also bought some of the thin plasticy clear anti static sleeves which I put the vinyl in after putting it through the Knosti.

So am I doing enough,how do you look after your cherished vinyl?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Probably yes.

You could get a carbon fibre brush instead of the velvet pad but opinions are, as always, divided on that one.

The single most important aspect is probably to use a stylus in good condition and at the correct tracking force.

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I clean mine in a Knosti then put in a Nagaoka Sleeve.

I try to keep brushing records down to a minimum so as not to create more static

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ensure the stylus is kept clean. (A regular, gentle, back to front flick with a dry stylus brush is sufficient in the vast majority of cases.)

Make sure the alignment of the cartridge is true. Accurately set the tracking force within the manufacturer's recommended limits.

Try and use those cartridges with elliptical (or better) styli. ( = larger area of contact with groove which is a good thing.)

Store records vertically in a cool, dry place that never catches direct sunlight. (In other words not on a windowsill above a radiator!)

Aways put records away after use.

Replace the stylus after about 1000 - 1500 hours of playing time.

Don't show off with your prowess at cueing by hand without use of the cueing lift. It'll only be a matter of time before you accidentally send the cartridge bouncing all over the record like something from 'Dambusters' and have to buy a new cartridge and a new record.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:
After cleaning with the Knosti, and the LP dried off, do you find your stylus digging out more gunk when first played afterwards?

Yes i do actaully, it seems like fluff but maybe its 'gunk' after the initial first play then its ok!

Whats your take on it?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
DIB said:
After cleaning with the Knosti, and the LP dried off, do you find your stylus digging out more gunk when first played afterwards?

Yes i do actaully, it seems like fluff but maybe its 'gunk' after the initial first play then its ok!

Whats your take on it?

I have cleaned several 2nd hand LPs with my Knosti and find this happens most times. As long as you clean your stylus after each side then I don't see it as a problem. I'm wondering whether a second clean in just distilled water would clean out any remaining muck? However, my LPs still sound better after a go on the Knosti so I'm sticking with it.

One of the main advantages of the considerably more expensive vacuum cleaning machines is that all this residue is sucked away, leaving a perfectly clean LP.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Don't show off with your prowess at cueing by hand without use of the cueing lift. It'll only be a matter of time before you accidentally send the cartridge bouncing all over the record like something from 'Dambusters' and have to buy a new cartridge and a new record.

And don't use a Naim Aro unipivot after two glasses of wine as I once did!

BTW chebby - I don't see a turntable in your extensive equipment list. :?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I think the initial clean loosens all the gumk - this is where the vacum machines come in - they suck all that gunk away

I bought a Dave Brubeck LP - crikey it was like a box of rice krispies !

3 cleans through the knosti and it plays mint

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I think the initial clean loosens all the gumk - this is where the vacum machines come in - they suck all that gunk away

I bought a Dave Brubeck LP - crikey it was like a box of rice krispies !

3 cleans through the knosti and it plays mint

I know what you mean. I bought a copy of Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection from a fair earlier this year, and it was horrendous when first played. After a good Knosti-ing, though not perfect, is infinitely better and now listenable.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

DIB said:
One of the main advantages of the considerably more expensive vacuum cleaning machines is that all this residue is sucked away, leaving a perfectly clean LP.

You could do what I do after cleaning in the Knosti, place one of the spindles from the Knosti label clamps (with record still attached) into my electric drill, tighten very carefully, then spin all the fluid and gunk off the record into the bath.

Definitely better results that way, and no waiting around for the records to dry on the racks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
chebby said:
jerry klinger said:
BTW chebby - I don't see a turntable in your extensive equipment list. :?

No, but I spent 27 years using them.

too much of a chore for him i think :)

Partly., but mostly the cost, the space and (the big one) an almost total lack of the content I want nowadays on LP (brand-new or used).

I eventually got fed up with my old record collection because it's tedious playing the same old stuff over again when, honestly, I grew out of most of it years ago. (And far too expensive to start a new LP collection even if all the stuff I wanted was available.)

My CD storage boxes now fill up four shelves of a large cupboard under the stairs and I am still buying them. (And ripping them of course.)

I don't want to ruin the good thing I have going on just for the 'nostalgia trip' of spinning black vinyl. Despite all it's (debateable) charms, there is not much point in hanging onto a format for the sake of the aesthetics, or 'tactility' or art-work, or sleeve notes, or 'involvement', or whatever ... if I simply cannot get most of what I like to listen to in that format :)

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
DIB said:

Whats your take on it?

I received a brand new copy of 'Oblivion' by M83 yesterday and I run it through the Knosti cleaner as I had been told that sometimes new pressings can have a residue left on them.

After being allowed to dry overnight I played it this morning,I was rather surprised that the sound was dreadful,plenty of crackling and also virtually losing the sound at one point,and,as DIB asked,a white residue being picked up by the stylus.I know that some may say why clean a brand new LP,but the point is I done everything correctly so it shouldn't have had a dextrimental effect on the record.I'm wondering now if I should rinse the records after washing,rinsing in distilled water or something after using the washer.Has anybody else had this happen to them?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Not with a new record no!

Recently i have not bothered cleaning new records, however always find that they are full of static which requires a wet clean.

I have run out of distilled water, so am having to use tap water (yes I know) with a bit of dishwasher rinse aid and a few drop of Sundrops (a floor cleaner) - I dont see any difference to the distilled water to be honest.

I think we can be a little to finnicky with record cleaning I maybe wrong though.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:

Recently i have not bothered cleaning new records, however always find that they are full of static which requires a wet clean.

I have run out of distilled water, so am having to use tap water (yes I know) with a bit of dishwasher rinse aid and a few drop of Sundrops (a floor cleaner) - I dont see any difference to the distilled water to be honest.

I think we can be a little to finnicky with record cleaning I maybe wrong though.

I'd never used tap water Steve, I did a few times in the past, and it knackered the records.

I'm currently using battery top up water from Halfords.

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Actually it's the third time I've bought this record,always from Amazon,the first one,although it was shrink wrapped was a terrible pressing,even had scuff marks on the vinyl,Amazon refunded with no problems and I ordered another copy,also from Amazon,this copy was excellent.Unfortunately my old Rottie,(see avatar),also took a liking to it and had it as a late night snack.

This is my third attempt at adding this soundtrack to my ever growing library of film soundtracks,if you've never heard this music then give it a go,it's one of the best scores I've heard,well worth £22!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
re: tap water - oops all is well so far but I will pop to Halfords and get some distilled!

With regards to Amazon, they are excellent with returns on vinyl - you print out a return label take it to a collection point then they credit you instantly!

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Your right,never had a problem with Amazon,quite an extensive library of vinyl,new and second hand,far better that the well known auction site,and the way they pack the records is excellent.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site

I received a brand new copy of 'Oblivion' by M83 yesterday and I run it through the Knosti cleaner as I had been told that sometimes new pressings can have a residue left on them.

After being allowed to dry overnight I played it this morning,I was rather surprised that the sound was dreadful,plenty of crackling and also virtually losing the sound at one point,and,as DIB asked,a white residue being picked up by the stylus.I know that some may say why clean a brand new LP,but the point is I done everything correctly so it shouldn't have had a dextrimental effect on the record.I'm wondering now if I should rinse the records after washing,rinsing in distilled water or something after using the washer.Has anybody else had this happen to them?

[/quote]

Did you play it before you cleaned it? I'm wondering if you know how it sounded pre-wash.

I've had some bad experiences with new vinyl over the last couple of years. Both Joe Bonamassa's Dust Bowl, and a 35 yr anniversary pressing of Pink Floyd's DSOTM were less than satisfactory, and especially in the case of DSOTM at £27 you expect better.

Luckily all the new LP's that I've bought most recently (not that many admittedly) have been perfect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts