How do you get 7.1 surround sound out of a PS3 + AV reciever?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a plasma TV, PS3 and a Sony STR-DA1200ES AV receiver. The plasma and AV receiver have 2 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out ports. Currently I have an optical cable running from the PS3 to the AV receiver to deliver the sound. I have been told that although the HDMI cable delivers audio this will not be deocoded within the reciever. This almost makes the HDMI ports redundant as how do you get 7.1 sound out of PS3 if it cannot be deocded. I have additonally been told that the optical cable can only deliver 5.1 sound (according to the PS3 manual) Help!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The PS3 can output eight channels (ie 7.1) of Linear PCM via HDMI, but you handle that you need a suitable receiver. In the Sony ES range that means starting with the STR-DA3200ES, or with the new STR-DG910 in the company's 'cooking' line-up. Alternatively, you could look at one of the new Onkyo receivers - models from the TX-SR605 upwards will suit.

And yes, you're right about only getting 5.1 channels down the optical cable - that's all the data the optical connection can handle

A

Anonymous

Is the Onkyo TX-SR505 not able to to accept the 7.1 sound from the PS3 via HDMI? If so, how will it handle having 5.1 speakers attached?

A

Anonymous

The HDMI inputs on the 505 are just pass through, the receiver works as a switch but there is no processing done on the HDMI signal, that's why you need the optical input from the PS3.

A

Anonymous

I see. How would the TX-SR505 recieve a 7.1 signal then? As i understand Optical can only handle up to 5.1.

What is the point of having the HDMI passtrough only, without any sound on the AV reciever?

So i guess the SR505 can not handle the Blu Ray sound formats. Is that where the SR606 comes in? Is the Sony STR-DA1200ES a better choice?

p.s thank you be4con for all your help, just saw the update on your previous reply also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts