How do you catalogue your vinyl collection?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I've been into vinyl since I was a teenager, way back always had a turntable but up until about 8 months ago it was very rare I played any. But for a chance shopping trip to John Lewis, where I bought Mumford & Son on vinyl with CD included and the love affair was reignited. All vinyl down from loft, out of metal containers and on display, sort of in order. Now the time has come to reorganise, especially as I have been buying vinyl like its going out of style. Was wondering how other people organised there collections. Keep thinking of John Cusack in High Fidelity. Do I do genre, chronological, related etc. All ideas and suggestions welcome.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I only have about 150 so far so it is not a big issue but I know quite a few people use and rate the IKEA units.

I had a look at them in the Southampton branch yesterday. Got to say whilst cheap and versatile (£20 for a four box unit) I wasn't sure I wanted them in either my bedroom or lounge. I'm not bothered about having the records on display so am still looking for a solution too.

Picked up a neat little led light with flexible neck for a tenner though. Perfect as a TT aid.

$(KGrHqJ,!gwE5kv,Y7kQBOjFCTKj5Q~~60_35.JPG

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I tried an Expeit, I actually preferred my LPs stacked vertical on the floor against the wall as they were easier to look through. Expedit gone into my daughters room now!

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I've used icubes twice and whilst the products are decent enough the customer service is non existent as is communication. I was promised my most recent purchase within 15 days, it took over 6 weeks. Their pricing also changes daily and I ended up paying £15 over the odds and they wouldn't reduce the cost when I asked.

Personal experience says to avoid them and use Expedit from ikea, perhaps not quite as good quality, but substantially cheaper and if there is a problem ikea will help you.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Trefor Patten said:
Alphabetical by artist and then chronological, housed in some (now discontinued, sadly) Habitat Palaset cubes.

Hoorah! Somebody actually answered the original question.

I have around 800 albums, and I seperate them into musical styles, then alphabetical within the genre. All compilation albums are at the beginning, of the organised into genre too.

And to add to what everyone else has written, my records are stored in 4 Ikea Lack units like below.

ikea-lack-shelving-unit_4d37f537f0ec2.JPG

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Trefor Patten said:
Alphabetical by artist and then chronological, housed in some (now discontinued, sadly) Habitat Palaset cubes.

Hoorah! Somebody actually answered the original question.

I have around 800 albums, and I seperate them into musical styles, then alphabetical within the genre. All compilation albums are at the beginning, of the organised into genre too.

And to add to what everyone else has written, my records are stored in 4 Ikea Lack units like below.

ikea-lack-shelving-unit_4d37f537f0ec2.JPG

That doesn't look to bad, all they got to do now is do one in red ...

regards

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
You are all a bunch of catalogueist saddos ;). My way is the best ,chuck em in the pigeon holes any old how and then spend an hr or so trawling through the lot to find a particular album. That way you come across ones you forgot you had . Great fun.

You need several thousand for this to work well :grin:.

A

Anonymous

floyd droid said:
You are all a bunch of catalogueist saddos ;). My way is the best ,chuck em in the pigeon holes any old how and then spend an hr or so trawling through the lot to find a particular album. That way you come across ones you forgot you had . Great fun.

Thats sort of my system at the mo with some small order on The Beatles and related solo and Eric Burdon

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Dont get me wrong Mr Beau , been there done that albeit a very long time ago. I would think 'we' of a certain age all did it ,and religiously counted em. Lost count thirty odd yrs ago and no intention of counting them now let alone catalogueing* em.

* is that a word ?

A

Anonymous

floyd droid said:
Dont get me wrong Mr Beau , been there done that albeit a very long time ago. I would think 'we' of a certain age all did it ,and religiously counted em. Lost count thirty odd yrs ago and no intention of counting them now let alone catalogueing* em.

* is that a word ?

Not a problem was just pondering last night and remembered the scene from High Fidelity where he is

organising his vinyl in some very obscure order. Keep looking at mine and think that needs sorting

and then realise how long it would take.

Maybe oneday :cheers:

andybeau said:
floyd droid said:

* is that a word ?

Not a problem was just pondering last night and remembered the scene from High Fidelity where he is

organising his vinyl in some very obscure order. Keep looking at mine and think that needs sorting

"tomorrow, tomorrow, there's always tomorrow".............etc,etc

A

Anonymous

Alears said:
andybeau said:
floyd droid said:

* is that a word ?

"tomorrow, tomorrow, there's always tomorrow".............etc,etc

I know a song about that

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Why put off today what you have no intention of doing anyway,lol. I've just had a look at one of my storage places, the fireplace/grate, this is where I put my new 'to be cleaned before playing' . Erm 27 !!. That was another religion that went t**ts up. Buy one and clean it. Now its buy loads clean em sometime or other when I fancy spinning on of them.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
floyd droid said:

My method too, though all my Mobile Fidelity and Analogue Production is together, and my new stuff is at one end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts