How to catalogue my dvd/bluray collection???

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi folks,

just returned from the UK with my entire film collection. Spent the best part of 4 hours putting them all into alphabetical order and tidily away in draws. Now it's dawned on me that it would be fantastic to have these all "searchable" on my ipad. A search function if I were to catalogue by title, genre, actors, certificate, format etc etc would prove very useful. I think I would like an i-tunes type database for my movies.

A quick search brought a pleathora of options. Any of you guys using spmething similar? Anything you'd recommend? Ihave basic IT knowledge at best but do have access to a 15 year old son ;-).

love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Cameron.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Interesting question! I have all my discs catalogued, mostly for insurance purposes, on an excel document, but this is no good for searching. I've just had a look on the App Store and played around with a few light versions of apps. iMovie List looks to be pretty good, you can edit all associated info, record the format, add any tags you like, link to imdb (I couldn't get that to work but do have dodgy reception at the moment) and it has a very flexible search method. Maybe try the free version as well and see what you think?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I use Pocketpedia combined with the DVDpedia and CDpedia Mac applications - lets me easily scan in the barcode on the Mac apps to add a new Blu-ray / CD into the collection and this then syncs into the Pocketpedia app. I can also use it to keep track of who's borrowed something from me - after losing a number of DVDs and CDs through absent minded "friends", I find this quite a useful feature!

There's loads more it can do, but it's all I use it for at the moment.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I use Excel and it has a seperate sheet for videos and one for DVDs & Blurays. All Blurays have a blue fill colour and its all sorted A to Z but all Bond Films which I prefix 007 and all Jet Li's films have his name in front. I find coloured text or backgrounds really helpful.

RayP

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Cameron,

What you need is a database. That will allow you to use various search criteria which is difficult or impossible with a flat file such as Excel.

Microsoft Access is one option. But that would require you to learn database design and I can understand if you don't want a steep learning curve to provide a solution.

I googled the requirement and found this link which may suit you. http://www.collectorz.com/music/cd_catalog.php?from=google&keyword=%2Bcd%20%2Bcatalogue&gclid=CLW8kZeMu7MCFSnJtAod0jwA3g

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts