How do Sonos DAC, Amplifier and speakers compare to HiFi components; what results in the best upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

The article in the February edition of WhatHifi magazine about the comparison between Sonos and Logitech was very helpful, yet a few questions remain. For instance using the Sonos Zoneplayer 120, incorporates audio streaming, DAC and amplifier. You can even include Sonos speakers and eliminate the need for any other audio equipment.Yet I wonder how the quality of the DAC, the amplifier and the speakers relate to separate Hifi components.

How does the Sonos ZP120/ZP90 DAC for instance compare to the ones within "starter" versions of hifi CD players, such as the Marantz CD5003, Denon DCD510AE or NAD C115BEE? Or how does the Sonos ZP120 amplifier compare for instance to the Marantz PM5003, Denon PMA510AE or NAD C315BEE? And finally, how do the Sonos speakers compare to for instance the Monitor Audio Silver RX 6, B&W 683 or Focal chorus 726V?

What would be most helpful to upgrade a Sonos system:

- Bypassing its DAC by using an external DAC (e.g. a Cambridge audio DacMagic),

- Bypassing its amplifier by purchasing the Zoneplayer 90 (which has no amp) instead of the 120 and connect it to an external amplifier.

- Instead of purchasing Sonos speakers, purchasing hifi speakers.

Finally the article stated that the Sonos system sounds slightly better than the Logitech system. Would this difference still remain when bypassing the internal DAC by using e.g. a Cambridge audio DacMagic?

Please share your views and/or experiences related to this.

Best wishes,

Wouter

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
wouter_m: And finally, how do the Sonos speakers compare to for instance the Monitor Audio Silver RX 6, B&W 683 or Focal chorus 726V?

They don't, Sonos aren't a speaker manufacturer and their speakers aren't all that great. TBH I don't know why they bother with them, it doesn't enhance their reputation at all. Any of the above would be a huge improvement. I've heard the ZP120 with MA BR1s as well and that's a pretty good match.

What would be most helpful to upgrade a Sonos system:

- Bypassing its DAC by using an external DAC (e.g. a Cambridge audio DacMagic),

If you're talking about a ZP120 you can't bypass the DAC, there's no digital line-out. This would of course also bypass the amp, which would kind of defeat the object somewhat (although you COULD do it on the old ZP100).

- Bypassing its amplifier by purchasing the Zoneplayer 90 (which has no amp) instead of the 120 and connect it to an external amplifier.

If you use a DAC and external amp with a ZP90 you'll get the best sound quality, even compared to using the analog line outs on the ZP90, I was disappointed with mine until I switched to the digital output, which was a great improvement.

A

Anonymous

What DAC do you use with your Sonos? There doesn't seem to be any mid range DACS on the market, that I can see. Its either a £200 DAC or a 1K DAC, nothing in-between.

Cheers

Jay

A

Anonymous

jaybed:There doesn't seem to be any mid range DACS on the market, that I can see. Its either a £200 DAC or a 1K DAC, nothing in-between.

£400 Chordette?

Although the DacMagic at half the price is looking like money better spent.

A

Anonymous

Its not a question of good enough, its more about choices.

Where would you place the DAC magic in comparison to a current CD player?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jaybed:Its not a question of good enough, its more about choices.

Interesting, so if a £200 DACmagic is better than anything at the 4-500 quid level you still wouldn't buy it?

Where would you place the DAC magic in comparison to a current CD player?

Heh, I've no idea I don't own a DACmagic OR a CD player!

A

Anonymous

I am currently using a similar setup!

I currenlty have the following setup

Sonos Zoneplayer 90

Sonos CR200

Rotel RA06 Amp

B&W 602 S3

Beresford Caiman

I have been very happy with this setup and would recommend it!!!

However I am currenly considering upgrading the system and thinking a Naimuniti and new speakers possibly Spendor SA1's...

The reason for this being getting everything down to one box and at the same time hopefully a massive improvment in sound!!!

TRENDING THREADS