How do i connect speakers to yamaha as500?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can someone explain simply which wire goes to which socket on my Yamaha as500 amp. Also for the speakers. The manual didn't explain this.(I'm new to hifi)Iam bi wiring the amp.

A

Anonymous

No worries; it can be a bit daunting if you're new to this malarky!

You need to ensure that you connect the LF connections on the amp to the LF on the speakers and the same with the HF connections

Ideally you'd be better off with single wiring with the Yamaha amp and I found when I heard it a few times and it was bi-wired; the soundstage sounded a little lost/vague at times but improved a lot when put back to single wire (the demo's were with B&W 685's, M/A RX1's and the M/A BX2's)

If you do want to stick with bi-wiring I always found this to be best to wire up:

Outer 2 cables to the bottom connections (usually LF) and the inner 2 cables to the top (HF connections) on both amp and speakers. Just remeber to remove the speaker cable jumper bars on your speakers!

hifilover1979 said:
No worries; it can be a bit daunting if you're new to this malarky!

You need to ensure that you connect the LF connections on the amp to the LF on the speakers and the same with the HF connections

Ideally you'd be better off with single wiring with the Yamaha amp and I found when I heard it a few times and it was bi-wired; the soundstage sounded a little lost/vague at times but improved a lot when put back to single wire (the demo's were with B&W 685's, M/A RX1's and the M/A BX2's)

If you do want to stick with bi-wiring I always found this to be best to wire up:

Outer 2 cables to the bottom connections (usually LF) and the inner 2 cables to the top (HF connections) on both amp and speakers. Just remeber to remove the speaker cable jumper bars on your speakers!

Can be daunting if you're experienced too.:?

A

Anonymous

Yeah...

I always squirm a little when I first turn on an amp after changing cables/speakers etc...

A

Anonymous

Thanks. It's just the manual doesn't say whether a or b is hf/lf. I wanted to be sure.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
sijames30 said:
Thanks. It's just the manual doesn't say whether a or b is hf/lf. I wanted to be sure.

Doesn't matter - most important is that you connect both the +cables to the red terminals for each channel, and both the -cables to the black. Check and double check before you fire up the amp - crossed-up connections can cause damage through short-circuits. Oh, and make sure you're removed the jumpers on the speaker terminals.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you are going to set the impedance switch (to 4 or 6 ohms depending on your speaker's impedance), then do that whilst everything is powered off. (And the mains plug removed.)

Don't forget to set the 'Speakers' selection to 'A + B' on the front panel if bi-wiring.

Better still, don't bother with bi-wiring unless you have already bought the cables and it's too late to take them back.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
sijames30 said:
The manual didn't explain this.(I'm new to hifi)Iam bi wiring the amp.

Speaker connections (including bi-wiring) are explained on pages 5 and 6 of your intructions (under the heading 'Connections')...

Please take care to heed all the 'Caution' points and 'Note' points under the 'Biwire connection' section on page 6.

The instructions look easy enough and even explain how to prepare banana plug and bare wire connections.

Short of being there with you, I cannot talk you through it on a forum. I suggest you get your dealer to talk you through it/show you and prepare some terminated cables for you (with banana plugs for lower risk of shorting out connections.)

A-S500 Manual link

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts